AVIC411.com

New Firmware Version 2.003 for X920BT

that seems like a fairly decent test. What phone, what vehicle, and what other aftermarket audio equipment is installed, if any? See if you can find another mic (the local auto shop sells Kenwoods for around $30) and swap them while the call is "hot" - which is probably a huge PITA, but can't think of another way to eliminate the mic concept.

I wish I had another quality mic to test it but I don't. Also, my system was installed by a local dealer and I would have to tear out the front dash again to have access to the connectors. My setup is:

- iPhone 2G

- 2010 Nissan Versa hatchback

- Phoenix Gold 230 XS and Rockford Fosgate P300-1 amps, JL Audio components and Pioneer TS-3002D4 subwoofer

Again, I tested this in my garage on a quiet night so there are no road noise.

that seems like a fairly decent test. What phone, what vehicle, and what other aftermarket audio equipment is installed, if any? See if you can find another mic (the local auto shop sells Kenwoods for around $30) and swap them while the call is "hot" - which is probably a huge PITA, but can't think of another way to eliminate the mic concept.

I wish I had another quality mic to test it but I don't. Also, my system was installed by a local dealer and I would have to tear out the front dash again to have access to the connectors. My setup is:

- iPhone 2G

- 2010 Nissan Versa hatchback

- Phoenix Gold 230 XS and Rockford Fosgate P300-1 amps, JL Audio components and Pioneer TS-3002D4 subwoofer

Again, I tested this in my garage on a quiet night so there are no road noise.

a constant buzzing usually points to a ground problem - hence my question about aftermarket gear. Do you have a ground loop isolator installed anywhere? Is it possible they "pinched" the mic cable during install?

• 2 months later...

Granted I owned the 6140 so I'm not sure what their most expensive one offered but the $1100 or so I paid for 6140 a year or so ago didn't seem justified and it had all the bells and whistles supposedly. The iPod interface is a billion times better on the 920 or any Pioneer for starters, the 6140 looked like a 486 computer from back in the day and the 920 is like a Intel core 7 and there's no way you can argue that...

I've owned navi's in this order:

-Pioneer D3 (decent but lacking)

-Pioneer F90BT (slow startp/button finish flakes off)

-Kenwood DNX6140 (very basic interface overall, only BT voice commands, garmin is fast but lacks in options, good BT quality, horrible iPod interface)

-Pioneer X920 (good options/customization, great interface, voice commands for everything, fast VR dictionary, good BT quality, reduced screen glare, best iPod control out, overall the best unit I've owned so far)

I've spent some money as you see and still come back to Pioneer for a reason, they always seem to be the best out there at the time. Tell me a brand that can beat Pioneer right now in features and price? The 6160 is $200 more than the 920 these days and for what, a updated GUI? I emailed Kenwood a while back about their iPod interface to complain and they said it was due to usage rights by Apple. Looks like Pioneer has and will continue to have proprietary rights with Apple which leads to a better, more advanced way to control music.

Dude, you're sort of contradicting yourself. On the one hand, you say the Pioneers are hands-down superior in-dash GPS systems. Yet, you ended up spending thousands of dollars upgrading to unit after unit over a relatively short period of time...like, one new unit per year! And your own list points out the flaws in each Pioneer unit you went through...LOL.

Allow me to posit that the reason you had to do this is because Pioneer has a habit of making their own units more affordable by making them underpowered or obsolete in ways that can't be fixed with firmware or software updates as easily as competitors.

For example, every Pioneer owner who relies on MSN Direct for traffic information will be out of luck in Jan 2012 when MSN Direct shuts down. And not a WORD from Pioneer on if there will be a replacement accessory, such as an FM-TDS traffic data receiver or a new XM NavTraffic receiver (the current one doesn't offer XM traffic).

Another example: Everyone who got stuck with the CD-BTB200 Bluetooth units was out of luck when Bluetooth standards advanced (not to mention Pioneer's errors programming that unit from day one). And Pioneer didn't offer ANY replacement Bluetooth solution for the obsolete BTB200.

So yeah, they might be less expensive and better for a short time. But your own history is evidence that Pioneers might be more expensive in the long run because they get outdated faster and their customers are forced to upgrade the entire unit when something goes obsolete (MSN) or is underpowered (F Series).

How much you want to bet that Pioneer will offer something like a $1500 X999BT or something with the MSN-like services instead of a simple $200 add-on replacement accessory to get you to upgrade (yet AGAIN, in your case) in a year?

Johnny Depp, as noted, you don't like Pioneer. And that's ok, but I'm not sure how you can blame Pioneer when

Microsoft kills off MSN Direct, and Google kills off Google411. If George Bush ruined the economy, would you blame Jon Stewart?

Do you have a more logical, well thought-out argument?

:)

Johnny Depp, as noted, you don't like Pioneer. And that's ok, but I'm not sure how you can blame Pioneer when

Microsoft kills off MSN Direct, and Google kills off Google411. If George Bush ruined the economy, would you blame Jon Stewart?

Do you have a more logical, well thought-out argument?

:)

Actually, I think my position is perfectly well-thought out, and completely logical. You found two different Pioneer units lacking over a short period of time and replaced them both....costing a ton of money. Is that not what you're saying? Did I misread your post?? LOL

So basically, I find your objection to be the really totally illogical point here, not MY position.

Nonetheless, I'll try and restate to satisfy your apparent objection...here we go:

1. Pioneer went with Microsoft and the underdog MSN Direct for live data and traffic...a completely losing choice, as it's going out of business. In contrast, Kenwood went with industry leading traffic and live data providers for nav systems including FM-TDS, etc., who aren't going anywhere .

2. Pioneer decided to go with their own CD-BTB200 Bluetooth unit initially...and made numerous programming errors preventing it from working with a good fraction Bluetooth phones...and it's non-upgradable so everyone is stuck if it doesn't work with newer Bluetooth standards. In contrast, Kenwood went with industry-leading, experienced Parrot Bluetooth, and made it totally upgradable with firmware updates. And Parrot isn't going anywhere for a while, so updates will be frequent and correct.

3. Pioneer decided to go with "iGo" navigation (who???). In contrast, Kenwood went with industry-leading Garmin navigation, familar to anyone who ever sits in my car and frequently updated, both with software and map updates.

4. Pioneer's record of delayed map data updates was terrible until recently. The updated CD's for the D3 came out so late, they were outdated by the time Pioneer released them (and charged more than most). In contrast, Garmin-based systems have frequently updated map data and for more regions than Pioneer.

I'm not a Kenwood employee, and frankly, think they have a lot of issues as well. I'm just saying that Pioneer seems to have made a number of poor decisions that are forcing their fans to upgrade units all the time or suffer with inferior units. And they have a habit of telling customers "tough...deal with it" when told about long-standing and comical bugs that most makers of GPS software would apologize for and fix right away.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. Hope that sounds more "logical" to you.

2. Pioneer decided to go with their own CD-BTB200 Bluetooth unit initially...and made numerous programming errors preventing it from working with a good fraction Bluetooth phones...and it's non-upgradable so everyone is stuck if it doesn't work with newer Bluetooth standards. In contrast, Kenwood went with industry-leading, experienced Parrot Bluetooth, and made it totally upgradable with firmware updates. And Parrot isn't going anywhere for a while, so updates will be frequent and correct.

3. Pioneer decided to go with "iGo" navigation (who???). In contrast, Kenwood went with industry-leading Garmin navigation, familar to anyone who ever sits in my car and frequently updated, both with software and map updates.

4. Pioneer's record of delayed map data updates was terrible until recently. The updated CD's for the D3 came out so late, they were outdated by the time Pioneer released them (and charged more than most). In contrast, Garmin-based systems have frequently updated map data and for more regions than Pioneer.

2. Pioneer used Parrot as well.

3. iGO is only the most popular navigation software in the world... Garmin, at least latest iterations is McDonalds of Navis. It'll get you there, but is as basic as navigation software can be.

4. That's Pioneer's problem. NavNGo has updated maps as often as Garmin.

@Boris:

I was not aware that Pioneer used Parrot at all.

I searched on this, and it appears you are correct, at least on the F-series, for which Parrot supplied Bluetooth modules for the AVICs. Not sure if that's still true with the X-series, though....

http://www.parrotcorp.com/en/pressrelease/2008publications/parrotcooperateswithpioneeronitsnewavicrange

So, basically, I'm just PO'ed about how bad the D3's Bluetooth adapter was...and PO'ed with the decision to go only with an MSN option for live data and traffic. I mean...come on...the first XM receiver had NavTraffic...why not keep that as an option for people?

If Pioneer would just offer an inexpensive replacement add-ons for FM-TDS traffic data, I'd be much happier. After all, cheap Garmin's get FM-TDS very easily....shouldn't be that hard to get the data from a new accessory and for iGo and Pioneer do a firmware update to integrate the data in the X-series nav program.

I'd like to declare a truce on this. Pioneer units are okay, just have two big pet peeves

@Boris:

I was not aware that Pioneer used Parrot at all.

I searched on this, and it appears you are correct, at least on the F-series, for which Parrot supplied Bluetooth modules for the AVICs. Not sure if that's still true with the X-series, though....

http://www.parrotcor...itsnewavicrange

So, basically, I'm just PO'ed about how bad the D3's Bluetooth adapter was...and PO'ed with the decision to go only with an MSN option for live data and traffic. I mean...come on...the first XM receiver had NavTraffic...why not keep that as an option for people?

If Pioneer would just offer an inexpensive replacement add-ons for FM-TDS traffic data, I'd be much happier. After all, cheap Garmin's get FM-TDS very easily....shouldn't be that hard to get the data from a new accessory and for iGo and Pioneer do a firmware update to integrate the data in the X-series nav program.

I'd like to declare a truce on this. Pioneer units are okay, just have two big pet peeves

Not really sure about the X series either, as far as Bluetooth goes. Of course when Pioneer released AVIC, they could not have possibly known that Microsoft will kill off MSN service. It's not like they were the only ones to use MSN Traffic either. If/when MSN works, it is better than RDS-TMC that most others use (I have a Navigon hand-held with TMC). The problem with having an add-on tuner is that AVIC has no provisions for external data input. iGO itself will process TMC data quite happily (and indeed, that's what the European versions of AVIC do, running the same software), but the radio tuner itself needs to have a TMC decoder. US versions have an MSN decoder instead. While it is probably possible to write some kind of wrapper that would use DUN network connection through a cell phone to pull traffic data and convert it to TMC or MSN format to feed to iGO, this would be a significant undertaking, and obviously Pioneer would not exactly make any money providing it for a product range that has been obsolete for quite some time.

All pioneer navis sense the F series are using a Parrot BT chipset. And the iGo units have been the best navis that Pioneer has ever released. Much better then the poor navigation software in the new units. In fact, the new units have the worst navigation software then any other Pioneer unit ever released. And the reason Pioneer moved away from NavTraffic is because it offered only traffic. When the decision to add MSN was made three years ago that service was a strong contender and offers much more then just traffic.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

After my BT being useless for a full year since installation, it finally works! I had moved the mic around several times, but my commands were never understood 90% of the time. After the update I'm successful about 90% of the time. I'm so happy I might even buy the UI,Nav updates.