AVIC411.com

It's safe to unzip the entire DATA.ZIP archive!!!

Hey guys!

I've read on this forum countless times NOT TO unzip (inflate) the entire DATA.ZIP archive, modify file(s) in it, then zip (deflate) the entire archive back. The recommended procedure is to view the contents in WinRar or WinZip, make the the change(s) in Notepad, and save from there. If not, bad things would happen. Initially, I tried this anyway because I'm a Mac OS X user and don't have WinRar or WinZip. I can tell you that bad things DID happen. This situation always bothered me...

Well, after spending a lot of time with Zip and learning some lessons from here:

http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=17715&start=360#p225843,

I decided to experiment with inflating the entire archive, modify some files, and deflating the entire DATA.ZIP archive back. I'm pleased to tell you that it worked!!! Mind you, I'm running Mac OS X 10.6.4 (Snow Leopard) and I was using the command line ZIP utility - NOT the Finder utility. I was wondering if some curious Winders cohort could try this and see if he/she got similar results? Remember, in case you chose not to read the thread from the link I posted, you MUST disable extended attributes from being set or this WILL NOT work. Also, I'm not sure if you can do this from the WinRar / WinZip GUI, although it seems like you should as everyone has been modifying files directly from it in prior to now.

Let me know how it goes!...

Joe

Hey guys!

I've read on this forum countless times NOT TO unzip (inflate) the entire DATA.ZIP archive, modify file(s) in it, then zip (deflate) the entire archive back. The recommended procedure is to view the contents in WinRar or WinZip, make the the change(s) in Notepad, and save from there. If not, bad things would happen. Initially, I tried this anyway because I'm a Mac OS X user and don't have WinRar or WinZip. I can tell you that bad things DID happen. This situation always bothered me...

Well, after spending a lot of time with Zip and learning some lessons from here:

http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=17715&start=360#p225843,

I decided to experiment with inflating the entire archive, modify some files, and deflating the entire DATA.ZIP archive back. I'm pleased to tell you that it worked!!! Mind you, I'm running Mac OS X 10.6.4 (Snow Leopard) and I was using the command line ZIP utility - NOT the Finder utility. I was wondering if some curious Winders cohort could try this and see if he/she got similar results? Remember, in case you chose not to read the thread from the link I posted, you MUST disable extended attributes from being set or this WILL NOT work. Also, I'm not sure if you can do this from the WinRar / WinZip GUI, although it seems like you should as everyone has been modifying files directly from it in prior to now.

Let me know how it goes!...

Joe

This has always been known and possible... Advice not to do that is given mostly because the average user can not be trusted to archive the structure back correctly.

Really?! Odd I haven't found anything on this forum stating that Windows CE has a problem with extended attributes in ZIP archives. I even had trouble searching for this specific issue outside of this forum.

Well, at least the information is on here now for the next novice to find with a search. Having this knowledge prior would have saved me a WHOLE bunch of trouble!

Joe