AVIC411.com

Quality of Navigation?

I'm considering getting the x920bt and i see a lot of complaints about the navigation. How bad is it really? Have there been any updates that have corrected some of the issues?

How would you stack this head unit up again the Alpine INA-W900BT?

I;m not the biggest fan of Kenwood's navigation but would be open to suggestion of one of their units as well..

thanks,

chris

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here it is http://store.ovi.com/search?q=avic   Not sure how many models it works on or why it's so "secret" but it works on my E71 just like it is supposed to. You can take geo tagged photos and cr

I'm considering getting the x920bt and i see a lot of complaints about the navigation. How bad is it really? Have there been any updates that have corrected some of the issues?

How would you stack this head unit up again the Alpine INA-W900BT?

I;m not the biggest fan of Kenwood's navigation but would be open to suggestion of one of their units as well..

thanks,

chris

Kenwood uses Garmin navigation, which most people, including me, find the simplest and most accurate. That being said, the x920BT is nearly half the price of a comparable Kenwood. When I say that, I mean a unit with voice recognition, GPS, iPod, etc. I had a single din Alpine, and its iPod integration was great - didn't like their all-in-one's much, however. I looked at all three, and if I had the money, I'd likely buy the Kenwood. I don't, so I'm gambling on the Pioneer - hey, I can always return it.

hmm maybe i'll look Kenwood's way or possibly JVC..

Bear in mind that only people with problems chat it up in these forums. There are people I've talked to in other forums who claim their Pioneer's are completely accurate, and have no Bluetooth problems.

I'd bag a Pioneer while they are super-discounted at Amazon, and if you don't like it, return it. Amazon is usually quite supportive of products that don't function properly.

Kenwood's almost NEVER go on sale, and in my opinion, are wildly over-priced. So what, they have Garmin - for $140 you can buy a Garmin portable with lane assist and text-to-speech (including free lifetime traffic). How then can Kenwood justify the $1800 they charge for their only voice-recognition system when the Pioneers with VR start at less than $400 (Amazon sales)?

JVC bought Kenwood, didn't they? Alpine's interface is kludgy as hell. Bang-for-buck (if they work for you) the Pioneers are the best deal, financially.

If they suck, you can always spend the $1800 for the Kenwood later.

Kenwood bought JVC. And you get more then just Garmin navi for the increase in price. However they are still priced to high. But few people are paying 1800. People are paying between 1300 and 1500 which puts it close to the price range that the Z120s are selling for.

Kenwood bought JVC. And you get more then just Garmin navi for the increase in price. However they are still priced to high. But few people are paying 1800. People are paying between 1300 and 1500 which puts it close to the price range that the Z120s are selling for.

Please post some links where we can find a 9960 for $1300 - at least from an "authorized" seller. I couldn't find any less than $1800 (if they were authorized). At $1300, that would at least be worth a look. Still, when OEM units range between $1200 and $1800, and we all know that OEM units have traditionally been overpriced, it would seem that Kenwood doesn't think it has any competition. NAVTEQ with "advertisements" that you can't turn off, even if you send them money? I just wish these crazy Chinese brands like Caska would clean up their GUI's, work on their reliability and give these "old dogs" Kenwood and Pioneer a run for their money.

Ross Entertainment is now representing Caska in the USA - may be worth a look for people on the fence.

Bear in mind that only people with problems chat it up in these forums. There are people I've talked to in other forums who claim their Pioneer's are completely accurate... Bang-for-buck (if they work for you) the Pioneers are the best deal, financially.

even with a properly operating pioneer, the interface is complete garbage, it took many mod to make the units acceptable, and even then its only acceptable because of its price (half of its MSRP)

basically if your willing to settle to save some cash, then pioneers the brand for you, if you want a really good system, then you need to be prepared to spend for it

Bear in mind that only people with problems chat it up in these forums. There are people I've talked to in other forums who claim their Pioneer's are completely accurate... Bang-for-buck (if they work for you) the Pioneers are the best deal, financially.

even with a properly operating pioneer, the interface is complete garbage, it took many mod to make the units acceptable, and even then its only acceptable because of its price (half of its MSRP)

basically if your willing to settle to save some cash, then pioneers the brand for you, if you want a really good system, then you need to be prepared to spend for it

I partly believe that, but at the same time, many auto manufacturers have done good jobs with their OEM systems: VW, Ford, BMW .... It seems odd that there are so few aftermarket companies that can step up to the plate, so to speak. As far as Kenwood, they didn't even design their own NAV - just grabbed Garmin - which is fine. I assume you had a "bad" experience with Pioneer, since many owners are quite happy with their units.