AVIC411.com

Quality of Navigation?

If Pioneer can address the few minor details, I will have walked away with a complete theft for $390.

If that's the case then I'm guilty of grand larceny because my replacement for my X920BT is a Kenwood DNX-8120 that I got used from Craigslist for $400 and after I sold the accessories he had with it that I don't need I'm into it for about $250ish and it's absolutely flawless. I can't even begin to list how much better this unit is in EVERY single aspect that a car A/V, multimedia, navigation can be. Those that say the Pioneer unit is 'good enough' would be singing an entirely different tune if you had a Kenwood installed in their vehicle for two weeks. Maybe if I didn't know any better and maybe if I haven't personally owned so many different units over the years and this were my first in-car navigation unit ever I would be content. But it's not so I know better.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here it is http://store.ovi.com/search?q=avic   Not sure how many models it works on or why it's so "secret" but it works on my E71 just like it is supposed to. You can take geo tagged photos and cr

Well this is a forum and it is here for people to relay their thoughts. Many people feel that some of the features of this unit are lacking for the money they spent. Keep in mind the same problems carry over to the flagship unit Z120BT as well. And when the previous units had better navi at an even cheaper price there really is no excuse for the lack of features in these units.

Bingo. Pioneer has taken a HUGE step backwards in features and options while other manufacturers are adding more to their units at every price point. Why people are defending that I don't know. This is when other manufacturers already offered more features than previous models so Pioneer's idea of being more competitive is to remove features, remove functionality and lower the price? What's next, a cardboard box with a map of where you live taped to it for $250? Seems like if it's cheap enough someone will buy it and love it.

Lack of features? You must be kidding. "The point of the thread is to point out the lack of features"? I understand the concept of reporting problems but you guys are just plain negative. I think it's a very solid unit with a shit ton of features. Do me one favor what SPECIFIC features or lack of do you have a problem with. Please list the SPECIFIC problems/ features.

Seriously I use dto be on this forum sevral years ago with adiofferent screen name that I lost. I re registered because I was amazed at how much negative troll energy is on this board. I just dont get it. If you dont like this unit or own it why be on this board shooting it down?

Lack of features? You must be kidding. "The point of the thread is to point out the lack of features"?

The title of this thread is "Quality of Navigation" and the quality is lacking compared to other units. Especially when we are talking about the 120 which this unit shares the same navi software with. And I have detailed the lack of features on another forum. No one is saying this unit has a lack of features over the whole unit. It in fact is fairly well designed on the AV side but the navi is poor compared to every other unit Pioneer has ever released. the navi in the AVIC D3 is more advanced then these newer units and that unit is nearly four years old.

I'm considering getting the x920bt and i see a lot of complaints about the navigation. How bad is it really? Have there been any updates that have corrected some of the issues?

How would you stack this head unit up again the Alpine INA-W900BT?

I;m not the biggest fan of Kenwood's navigation but would be open to suggestion of one of their units as well..

thanks,

chris

and this was the first post in this thread - it's about someone wanting knowledge, NOT how this nav lacks quality or features. Sorry, but that's what this thread started as.

And - it's a competent navigation system with some flaws and some benefits - like all the others.

Well this is a forum and it is here for people to relay their thoughts. Many people feel that some of the features of this unit are lacking for the money they spent. Keep in mind the same problems carry over to the flagship unit Z120BT as well. And when the previous units had better navi at an even cheaper price there really is no excuse for the lack of features in these units.

Bingo. Pioneer has taken a HUGE step backwards in features and options while other manufacturers are adding more to their units at every price point. Why people are defending that I don't know. This is when other manufacturers already offered more features than previous models so Pioneer's idea of being more competitive is to remove features, remove functionality and lower the price? What's next, a cardboard box with a map of where you live taped to it for $250? Seems like if it's cheap enough someone will buy it and love it.

We're all sorry that Bluetooth didn't work out for YOU in YOUR car. Luckily, for ME, it works fine in MY car. It apparently works in ALOT of peoples' cars. I was a big doubter based on comments found here. However, actual use of the unit, in MY case, made me see that alot of comments here are eronious opinion.

Pioneer's interface for DVD, iPod and radio is far cleaner and easier to deal with, in MY opinion. Is it cheap? Beats me. Did Kenwood spend more on its plant in China than Pioneer did? Beats me. Can Kenwood justify at least double-the-price for a product that can be had for $120 from Garmin? Probably, since it would be bad public relations to have an inexpensive unit in a Lambo, or a McLaren. Is Garmin the best navigation? It certainly is the most user-friendly. If simplicity is what you're after, then the Garmin interface is the simplest.

Since I'm a bit of a tech-geek, simple isn't the most important feature. Personally, with all the changes going on in this "space", a cheaper unit is better for me, as I will likely change this out in the next 24 months, hopefully when Android is the operating system being used on my next car system.

At least it's good to see that you and VBLUE42 have made up and are now in harmony over your Kenwoods.

Of course, this is a Pioneer forum, so don't be surprised if Pioneer owners, who actually find their products good, chime in and defend them, regardless of your personal experience with Bluetooth and finding cheap products on Craigslist (which was extremely fortunate for you).

:)

Lack of features? You must be kidding. "The point of the thread is to point out the lack of features"?

The title of this thread is "Quality of Navigation" and the quality is lacking compared to other units. Especially when we are talking about the 120 which this unit shares the same navi software with. And I have detailed the lack of features on another forum. No one is saying this unit has a lack of features over the whole unit. It in fact is fairly well designed on the AV side but the navi is poor compared to every other unit Pioneer has ever released. the navi in the AVIC D3 is more advanced then these newer units and that unit is nearly four years old.

NO WAY. I owned the D3 and the 920 is light years ahead of it. You may be the head honcho around here but you are dead wrong. The 920 is faster, cleaner maps, better poi support, supports routing preference "learning", easier to put in address in and the VR is a huge advancement. Like any VR not perfect but a big advance. This unit is also light years ahead of the D3 in terms of Blu tooth. It supports additional profiles(pc sync). One example being the whole phonebook transfers at once. You had to push each contact one at a time on the D3. Have you even used the 920? The only feature i can think the D3 had over the 920 is XM Nav traffic.

Your post seriously undermines your credibility. I am through on this. You can continue to talk smack, nonsense that is.

Have you even used the 920? The only feature i can think the D3 had over the 920 is XM Nav traffic.

Your post seriously undermines your credibility. I am through on this. You can continue to talk smack, nonsense that is.

Then you clearly know not what the 110/120/920 lacks that the older units don't. And I guess thats the reason I am the "head honcho" around here. Because I know what I am talking about and have years of experience with these units. Not just a month or so like some of you. And you need to pay attention to what I write. I said the navi in the D3 was better and it is. Clearly Pioneer added some stuff to the navi that wasn't on previous units that does make it easier to use but they turn write around and took stuff off that people valued and now miss in what is suppose to be a newer unit.

the best part about the D# is that it was STABLE, it didnt have anywhere near the software glitches and issues that now have plagued the F/X/Z series, and thats what makes the D3 a better nav system, of course the half a decade newer system will have newer features that where not available back then, but you can put factory BT and heated seats in a brand new cavali...colbalt, but its still not going to be as nice of a ride or as quiet as a 5 year old cadillac.

again i would haven't to be so negative if there where not so many issues, but then again my opinion is just that, an opinion, you can listen or ignore it, its not going to hurt my feelings any.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I just don't understand the intended usage of the X920BT nav functions... I've had many nav units, iWay, Garmin, Tomtom and Acura OEM. This Pioneer confounds me.

I have no idea how I am supposed to do simple things like 'Find the Hilton Hotel in San Francisco'.

Can someone tell me how this is supposed to work on the X920BT?

Searching by POI --> Hotel is useless. The only thing that I've found that works is to look up the address for where I want to go on my iPhone, then enter the address on the X920BT.

Really disappointed with this nav. Thoughts?

J.

I guess I just don't understand the intended usage of the X920BT nav functions... I've had many nav units, iWay, Garmin, Tomtom and Acura OEM. This Pioneer confounds me.

I have no idea how I am supposed to do simple things like 'Find the Hilton Hotel in San Francisco'.

Can someone tell me how this is supposed to work on the X920BT?

Searching by POI --> Hotel is useless. The only thing that I've found that works is to look up the address for where I want to go on my iPhone, then enter the address on the X920BT.

Really disappointed with this nav. Thoughts?

J.

While most nav units have POIs that number in the millions the Pioneer seems to have a list that numbers into the dozens, maybe. I didn't have any luck finding anything unless I looked up the address and just types it in manually. Even then half the time it said that address didn't exist. It's funny how people who own Pioneer decks w/o the ability to get something else want to argue about it but the simple fact is that it's just awful and that's being polite. If you want my thought on the topic (which you requested) it would be to cut your losses and get something else if a usable nav is something that's important to you. There will be others who post here shortly saying your nuts for wanting a nav with features & functionality so you'll get plenty of input that spans the subject.

this is exactly the type of st!t that i am talking about, i always have to use my blackberry to find the places i want to go to and then i input the address, and half the time it tells me that it is an invalid address, aaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh this is so stupid, god i wish blackberry made radios

i like how the phone book or google will show one address and the damn pioneer will have it in either a different city(neighboring city) or the road changes and pioneer has it all wrong.

My opinoin is that the D3's nav was so much better than the X920BT. But I still think it could be worse. My biggest gripe is EVERY EXIT NUMBER it mentions is WRONG. I'm in Pittsburgh and yes, they do change exit numbers occaisionally, but it's getting exits wrong that have been different for years if changed at all, it's not as if this was a 2009 2010 issue. It's really really aggrivating because I would never trust this nav on an actual trip. I've only played with it for 1 hour trips around my city. The Navigon app on my iphone is at least 10 times better than the pioneer and I always find myself relying on it rather than my head unit, which is a shame. On a 1-10 scale i'd give the pioneer nav about a 6 and had I purchased it for the navigation alone it would have gone back.