AVIC411.com

Z120BT Mods, Hacks, Update Questions

Finally retiring my aging Z1 - have been doing a bunch of "catching up reading" here, but have a couple of questions regarding my install tomorrow.

1 - Are the Z1/Z3 and the Z120 cable harnesses the same? Or am I going to have to hack out all my wiring and re-wire everything?

2 - Is the Z120 "move the mute wire & ground with brake wire bypass" working on current rev's of firmware (ie: newly purchased models)?

3 - Does this work LONG TERM - as my installer is telling me they're having customers with new units that are bypassed coming back after 2 or 3 months with the units locking up or not booting requiring a $250 trip to Pioneer to be repaired?

4 - Do I need to install the 2010 maps/updates plus the crack from this thread viewtopic.php?f=57&t=34478 on a new unit?

5 - Does the 2002.3 firmware update (if not already installed on a newly purchased unit) mess with the bypass or anything else?

6 - Anything else I need to know in my migration from my Z1/Z3 to a Z120?

This forum has ALWAYS BEEN my "go-to source" for accurate information on AVIC units. Thanks to all that contribute for your years of work here...

Regards,

Rick

1. Not the same. The hard part is done since all your wiring is already identified. (backup, VSS, etc)

2. Yes

3. Yes, it works long term.

4. Not if you get the Z120. If you find a cheaper Z110, then yes.

5. No.

6. Not off hand...

1 - thanks, having my installer put it in anyway..

2 - Thanks

3 - Thanks again, installer (at a retail Pioneer dealer) was telling me they're getting alot of them back with the bypass - they aren't recommending it, but will do it at the customers request with that caveat.

4 - Thanks (again)

5 - Cool (thanks, LOL)

6 - Thanks (getting boring, I know)...

As far as the pic of my harness - the difference is the number of OTHER WIRES in the Z110 harness that are different colors/positions (like the blue/white in the far left top position).

Guess I'll find out tomorrow when it goes in. Have gotten so used to my bypassed Z1, the unit would feel almost useless without the bypass...

Thanks (sigh) and regards to all...

Rick

• 1 year later...

I have same parking lead message every time I use the system. When I go over ten miles per hour the video goes blank. Also, in the upper right corner is an ATT icon that never clears. The volume is muted (10bd) and will not go up or down. The only time I can raise the volume is when talking on the phone via blue tooth. The yellow mute wire was originally one space over. See pics below.

post-58489-0-14413700-1324712911_thumb.jpg

post-58489-0-07725200-1324712913_thumb.jpg