AVIC411.com

Step by step update from z110bt to z120bt

We knew you were coming, so we already did it. See post #1. Then continue reading until you get it.

I've read the whole thread multiple times and still don't understand what is wrong. When trying to do the 2.0 update it goes halfway then says incorrect sd card. It won't even let me go back to the old software. Please tell me what can I do to get it back working.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It won't even let me go back to the old software.

Not sure what you mean. So what happens if you power up the unit? Do you get the splash screen? Can you eject and remove the SD?

Try re-downloading the SD1 image and try again. That has worked for others. Make sure you start with a cleanly formated SD. Probably should use a different SD. Maybe a different brand.

Did the 1.002 update work?

Install worked fine for me. System Info screen did not show 1.002 (still listed 1.001) but v2 update worked (used zxzxzxzxzxzxzx for password). Not enamored with the new "touch scroll" feature on the AV screens but do appreciate having the EQ readily available. Thanks ShortFuse and others.

Not sure what you mean. So what happens if you power up the unit? Do you get the splash screen? Can you eject and remove the SD?

Try re-downloading the SD1 image and try again. That has worked for others. Make sure you start with a cleanly formated SD. Probably should use a different SD. Maybe a different brand.

Did the 1.002 update work?

I finally got it to work. Thanks for your help. I had tried different SD cards and that still didn't work but it finally worked after downloading the SD1 file the third time. Still not sure why it kept stalling the first few times. The problem now is my z110bt won't power off when I turn my car off so my battery died last night. Anyone else experience this?

I finally got it to work. Thanks for your help. I had tried different SD cards and that still didn't work but it finally worked after downloading the SD1 file the third time. Still not sure why it kept stalling the first few times. The problem now is my z110bt won't power off when I turn my car off so my battery died last night. Anyone else experience this?

Is this a new install? Because the only way that can happen is if the ACC (red) wire is always hot. It should be connected to a circuit switched with the ignition. I'd verify this with a multi-meter or voltage meter. I power mine with a dedicated fuse, so it is easy to verify there is no power by removing the fuse.

I don't see how the software update could be the cause of this.

Edit: Just had another idea. Do you have an external power amp or powered sub-woofer? Maybe the problem is not the AVIC, but something else not powering down. The HU should shut off immediately when you switch off the key. Was it still operating when you left the car last night? If so, you should of checked it out then before you discharged your battery. Oh yeah, if was New year's eve, probably not exactly clear headed. I remember a few times not even making it home. :oops:

Is this a new install? Because the only way that can happen is if the ACC (red) wire is always hot. It should be connected to a circuit switched with the ignition. I'd verify this with a multi-meter or voltage meter. I power mine with a dedicated fuse, so it is easy to verify there is no power by removing the fuse.

I don't see how the software update could be the cause of this.

Edit: Just had another idea. Do you have an external power amp or powered sub-woofer? Maybe the problem is not the AVIC, but something else not powering down. The HU should shut off immediately when you switch off the key. Was it still operating when you left the car last night? If so, you should of checked it out then before you discharged your battery. Oh yeah, if was New year's eve, probably not exactly clear headed. I remember a few times not even making it home. :oops:

It was installed a couple months ago and last night was the first time it happened that's the only reason I suspected the update as the problem. I didn't install it myself so I'll have to check the ACC wire or atleast bring it to the installers for them to check it out. I'm pretty sure it powered off last night but I'm not 100% sure because it always turns off when I take out the key so I never really think about it.

And I don't have external amp or sub-woofer.

It was installed a couple months ago and last night was the first time it happened that's the only reason I suspected the update as the problem. I didn't install it myself so I'll have to check the ACC wire or atleast bring it to the installers for them to check it out. I'm pretty sure it powered off last night but I'm not 100% sure because it always turns off when I take out the key so I never really think about it.

And I don't have external amp or sub-woofer.

So you aren't sure the Z110 didn't shut off? The dead battery might of been caused by something else. A door ajar or a light left on - or just a failing battery. Had you driven the car much after the upgrade installation? The installation might of drained the battery somewhat, maybe just enough to prevent it from starting.

If it isn't a new install, I doubt the installers will find anything.

So i got my Z110 in the mail today. I tried to start to update it. I replace the necessary files and do the following....

Now Copy the folder

c:updateAVICZ110

to the root of an SD card.

Lets say your sd card is j: drive.

You will now have one folder on the j: drive.

j:AVICZ110 (Plus all the contents of the folder.)

Now insert the SD to your Z110BT and it should start updating automatically.

It does NOTHING.... Acts like i didn't even insert an SD card into it. So i get to looking and under my service Information Screen it says....

Version: 02.0000

And under the BT firmware it says...

Version: 3.11

I would assume this means mine is already updated. Please correct me if im wrong.

So i got my Z110 in the mail today. I tried to start to update it. I replace the necessary files and do the following....

Now Copy the folder

c:updateAVICZ110

to the root of an SD card.

Lets say your sd card is j: drive.

You will now have one folder on the j: drive.

j:AVICZ110 (Plus all the contents of the folder.)

Now insert the SD to your Z110BT and it should start updating automatically.

It does NOTHING.... Acts like i didn't even insert an SD card into it. So i get to looking and under my service Information Screen it says....

Version: 02.0000

And under the BT firmware it says...

Version: 3.11

I would assume this means mine is already updated. Please correct me if im wrong.

Yes, it sure does sound like it's already been updated or you've got a Z120-BT. Did you buy it used? What does it say on the bottom of the face, to the left of the hard buttons? It will say either Z110-BT or Z120-BT.

The biggest difference is in the Audio/Video sections. The NAV stuff is pretty much the same. On your ipod screen, on the top, does it say "MusicSphere"? If so, it is updated.

Here is the Z120 User's Guide. http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Navigation/AVIC-Z120BT_OperationManual110910.pdf

Look on page 120 or so, is your iPod screen layout like that?

BTW, you just got it in the mail today and it's already installed?

Excellent write up. I bought the upgrade but shipping was delayed and I'm impatient. Just follow the directions as they are outlined and you'll be just fine. No hiccups, no issues, no problem. What a difference the new OS makes. Still the same annoyances (mostly that videos don't automatically restart where they left off when I restart the car, I have to select the video again) but the GUI seems much more polished.

Major thanks to ShortFuse and the board!

it says Z110BT on the face. Yes its installed. I've been a MECP certified installer for about 11 years. Plus an install in a F250 is cake. Deff has music sphere on the iPod screen. Thanks for the manual.

wow someone upgraded the UI already. your version firmware and bluetooth firmware are the two most up to date firmwares so looks like you got a freebie update and they didn't even tell you.