AVIC411.com

AVH-P4200DVD & 160GB iPod Classic - No Album Artwork

I have installed a new AVH-P4200DVD and I'm using the official Pioneer iPod cable for video playback. I'm able to load audio and video without any problems, but no album artwork will show up. I've tested the same cable with an older model iPod nano and the artwork loads just fine. So I've narrowed it down to the 160GB iPod Classic. It's the newest generation iPod Classic, so is the 4200DVD not able to access artwork from this iPod? Is there any way to fix this?

I'm pretty frustrated to say the least, since album artwork was a big factor in purchasing this unit over others. I have contacted Pioneer but have not heard anything back yet. Seems like it's a compatibility issue that was not advertised. I hate to remove this unit because I like all the other features, but without the album artwork I may have to shop for another unit.

I received this response from Pioneer today:

Thank you for contacting Pioneer Electronics, Inc.

Sorry, we do not have a "new" classic to test.

We have reported this to our engineers and request they investigate.

Hopefully we'll get some answers soon, but I doubt it. Too bad, because I like everything else about this unit.

if it works with an iphone, then I don't see a reason it won't work with a classic. In fact there's various people on youtube that are running a classic and showing cover art.

But is anyone using the latest 160GB iPod Classic (7th Generation)? I have read about others having the same problem with this unit and the 7th Gen iPod Classic. There was a 5th Generation 160GB that seems to work, but can anyone verify that the 7th Gen works? I'm nearly certain it doesn't since I can load album artwork on my wife's nano but nothing on my Classic.

• 3 weeks later...

Same problem as all of you. I called Pioneer and they mentioned there have been Firmware updates to the AVH-P42000DVD, however I would have to visit an authorized service agent here in the US. I was told that they really didn't know if this firmware update would address the issue but it was their only suggestion. Great.

So I called the closet service agent to me, I live in Florida, closest location was Arlington TX, wtf. Anyway, here's there info if anyone else wants to try: Jots, 817 652 3622. They said yes they do have the firmware update and I would have to ship the headunit in to have it serviced. I asked if this update would allow album art on my iPod Classic 160gb and they also didn't have a clue. I was told he would talk to his technician to see what was up, still no call back. I only called a few hours ago, but will return the call first thing tomorrow morning If I don't hear anything back today.

I'm so fed up with this situation, the main reason for buying this head unit was its supposed compatibility with the iPod. My anger should really be directed at Apple and their proprietary BS, but then again Pioneer is just as clueless on how to handle the situation, c'mon people, we pay good money for your equipment and we can't get decent answers or products!!

• 2 weeks later...

I also was told to update the firmware but was not guaranteed that it would fix the artwork problem. For me, it's not worth the hassle of removing the unit and upgrade the firmware unless I know for sure it will solve the problem. Pioneer has really dropped the ball with this. Hopefully someone will confirm that the firmware update will in fact fix the album artwork problem.

As for downgrading the firmware, I'm not sure that you can. I believe 2.0.4 is the firmware that was shipped on the newest 160 GB iPod Classics. The 2.0.2 and 2.0.3 were available for the 120 GB, but not the newest Classic. Anyone know if it is possible to downgrade?

HKnoma, thanks for updating us on that. Do you know the process for upgrading the firmware? I have 2 local dealers listed and both are unsure as to whether or not the unit has to be removed to upgrade, but I assume that it does since they probably do it using the USB port on the back.

From what I can tell it's a pretty involved process that can only be done by a certified technician, not just any pioneer dealer. This is why I had to ship my unit half way across the country. I asked if they could mail me the update or tool, but they said the actual unit had to be disassembled. I also asked them what version this update was, and if I could check my current version though the head unit. They said there's no way to know what the current version is without going through the actual update process, thanks Pioneer.

I'm really skeptical about all this working, but for $20 it's worth a shot, at the very least I'll have the latest firmware, for whatever it's worth. I'm really starting to miss my stereo though, I hope they get it back to me soon!