AVIC411.com

OnStar Mic Splice to X Series Question

I know people have discussed this before, but no one has a definitive answer on weather an OnStar mic can be used as a bluetooth mic for the Avics.

This guy says he used his for his CarPC and spliced and connected it directly to the motherboard.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show-off-your-project/103864-2006-hummer-h3-dash-computer.html

Others on here say it is not loud enough. I don't care if onstar works again or not, but please tell me if this will work.

1) Locate Onstar wires (+/-)

2) Cut avic bluetooth mic off and keep the 2.5mm end

3) Strip onstar wires and attach avic 2.5mm end to the existing onstar mic

Questions: Will this allow for decent sound quality?

Which is positive and which is negative for the onstar mic?

Which is pos and neg for the avic 2.5mm jack end?

If anyone has done this or knows someone who has, please let me know.

• 1 month later...

Splicing microphone wires is ALWAYS a bad idea. It adds all kinds of noise and pop to the signal. Unless you know how to make audio connectors and audio signal splices in a professional way (including professional connector splicing onto signal cable/wires), it's probably a bad idea.

For example, the clown installer who put in my old Pioneer actually cut the AVIC microphone wire and spliced it into my car's existing microphone cable...it didn't work at all. More noise and pop than voice. I had to order a new Pioneer microphone and run it down the A-pillar myself to fix what the idiot did.

Basically, NEVER splice a microphone cable that was professionally manufactured. Bad idea. Way bad.

Yea the BT mic audio quality with these units is already questionable enough without messing with it anymore.

Yeah. But I was able to get my old D3's mic...and my buddy's new X920BT mic...to work well by taking care to...

1. NOT splice it.

2. Insure there's enough AIR behind the mic to work. I've seen a ton of professional installers make the mistake of mounting a mic with tons of sticky stuff or epoxy that covered the rear air holes. Speakers and microphones don't work if you do that! They work by moving air. It's amazing how much basic physics can stymie "professional" installers.

3. Taking care with pointing direction of the microphone.

• 2 months later...

I tried to splice in the Onstar mic to my AVIC-X920BT but I was unsuccessful. The sound was very quiet. Searching the internet, someone suggested that it is a powered mic and needs to be biased with 6 volts. I tried constructing a simple voltage divider to bias the mic but it didn't seem to make any difference. Also the mirror is glued shut so I couldn't open it without fear of it breaking. In the end I spliced into the Onstar mic wires under the center console and then spliced in again right behind the mirror and connected the Pioneer mic. It makes for a pretty clean installation.

• 5 months later...