AVIC411.com

Splice Data Cable?

Hello all. I recently purchased an avic n2 and brain off ebay. No wires or cables were included in this auction, however, a cut data cable was included. This will be a cheaper alternative if I'm successful.

Finally, what kinds of connectors do I need for the speed signal and reverse wire? Specifically, the connectors that plug into the brain?

post-46407-12872763265047_thumb.jpg

post-46407-1287276326532_thumb.jpg

post-46407-12872763268534_thumb.jpg

i personal wouldn't mess with trying to solder that cable, you could run into so many issues including noise problems, i would just buy the correct cable, and have it done right.

i guess if you really wanted to then you could use a extension cable as parts to repair your cable, there is no promise that every wire will be the same color however, especially if they where manufactured at different times (years apart)

i thought that the vss and reverse wires coming off of the brain where just wires (i may be thinking of a different N-series) if that's the case, any normal wire will work, just solder it or crimp it on to the existing wires

those are called bullet connectors, but they can be replaced with any good quality type of connector (butt connectors, crimp caps, or the best way to do it would be to solder longer wires right on to those wires, then you wont have to worry about corrosion on the connectors)

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a while since I last posted but thanks for your help louds. Proper cabling and wiring is essential when it comes to car audio. I had a friend that used the "twist and tape" method of wiring and now its causing him havoc. The tape turned into a gluey mess and its causing him nothing but headaches.

I was able to get all the wires I need for my avic. A cut filter and fuse box (see pic) was included along with the avic. However, the rca and power harness that I purchased separately, didn't come with this filter and fuse box.

What is the purpose of it and do I need it?

Since I bought the cables used, is it possible that the previous owner detatched this fuse box from the power harness?

post-46407-12872763345525_thumb.jpg

it is definitely possible that the original owner cut them off, there should be a fuse and a filter in there so i would recommend using it and adding it to the harness you have now, it should be very easy to just either use butt connectors or solder it back on, fuses are important because they are protecting the electronics in the radio, and in case there is a problem, fuses can protect other things from getting damaged at the same time

That fuse that I posted is for a sirius unit. However, I still need to get a fuse for the head unit harness. I'm going to radio shack for it. What type of fuse holder do I need? I have these two in mind.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... howReviews

and

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2103778

Furthermore, my avic is bypassed. Do I still have to connect the light green parking brake wire? If not, what do I do with it?

Much appreciation.

Hey what's up. Just dropping in with a few updates....

I bought the fuse, connectors, wires, etc and "tightened up" the power harness. Mind you, this harness was purchased used from ebay and had another vehicle harness wired to it. I guess the previous owner had some sort of complex setup because all types of wires were tapped and grounded into the avic harness. Well I was able to get back to its factory shape, however I grounded the p-brake wire.

Before I installed it into my truck, I tested it with an external source. The unit powered up fine but has a problem with the cd drive. It doesn't load or eject cd's and a mechanical error appears onscreen.

I'm in the process of getting it repaired through one of the ebay repair services. Hopefully, I'll be able to install this thing next week.

peace