AVIC411.com

NEW PHOTO FIXED: Pandora / Pioneer iTouch 4G Install

Very cool. I was actually thinking of doing something similar. I am going to get a new ipod touch 64 gig and then jail break my iphone so I can use it as a hotspot and connect the touch to the head unit. My reason for this is the lack of storage on my iphone.

I am glad to know that this will work.

but if you're running Pandora you don't need storage, no?

but if you're running Pandora you don't need storage, no?

I also have a lot of music on my iphone. I use everything as I drive a lot. So Pandora, iphone, hd radio. No Sirius though.

Where did you see that the Touch could be tethered to the iPhone? I don't think this is possible.

It can't unless you jail break it and use the app MyWi.

http://www.rockyourphone.com/index.php/mywi-4.0.html

It allows you to turn your iphone into a wireless hotspot. And since the ipod touch can connect to a wireless network....

It can't unless you jail break it and use the app MyFi.

http://www.rockyourphone.com/index.php/mywi-4.0.html

It allows you to turn your iphone into a wireless hotspot. And since the ipod touch can connect to a wireless network....

Yeah I understand all of that. I have been jailbreaking sense day one. What I am talking about is that I don't think the Touch will connect to the phone over WiFi regardless if you can tether with the phone or not. Take your tethered phone into an Apple store and try and connect one of their demo Touches to it and see if it will work.

Well I just assumed the touch would see the iphone as it does any other wifi network. I can't try it yet as I am on 4.1 on my iphone so I can't run mywi yet.

So once the Greenpois0n jailbreak comes out for 4.1 I will give it a try.

But theoretically it should work. I have never used the mywi app. But if all it does is publish a wifi connection why wouldn't the touch or any other device be able to connect. Isn't that the whole point of the app? I must be missing something.

I am pretty sure this is what a lot of people are doing with their ipads that didn't get the 3g version. So are you saying it is an ipod touch limitation?

Edit: This is what I want to do, just replace the ipad for the ipod touch:

http://mygadgetnews.com/2010/04/15/how-to-tether-iphone-to-connect-to-the-ipad/

So once the Greenpois0n jailbreak comes out for 4.1 I will give it a try.

First of all I would stay away from Greenpoison. There is a scam going around right now with a fake Greenpoison. Stick with the Dev Team jailbreaks.

But theoretically it should work.

Yes it should, but keep in mind we're talking about Apple devices here. Just because it makes sense, doesn't mean Apple wants it to work that way.

So are you saying it is an ipod touch limitation?

Yes. This is where you may have the problem.

Edit: This is what I want to do, just replace the ipad for the ipod touch:

http://mygadgetnews.com/2010/04/15/how- ... -the-ipad/

Ok this is promising then. I did a Google search for any terms dealing with a Touch and tethering to an iPhone and did not get any hits at all. Maybe is because if you have an iPhone there is really no reason you would need to tether a Touch to it. Buy anyway sense this can be done with the iPad, it likely can with the Touch. Just don't be surprised if it doesn't work.

• 2 weeks later...

Tethering an iPod touch via MyWi on an iPhone does work just fine. I did this all the time with my previous JBd iPhone 3G. The MyWi app drains the heck out of the battery, and I could never get WEP (no WPA option) working consistently, so I always left it open. The new MyWi has some power/range/battery settings, but I never upgraded.

• 1 month later...

can you tether an ipod touch with another device such as an HTC Imagio and use that phone's data plan to use Pandora??

I have a windows phone, and cannot get an iphone.. but, when i get this head unit.. im gonna want to use Pandora....

also, isnt this unit based on a windows os?

i know u can do MSN direct.. and im wondering why no Zune interface for a windows based head unit.. questions questions...

and im wondering why no Zune interface for a windows based head unit.. questions questions...

Because theres like one Zune owner to about a million iPod owners that why. Pioneer is not going to add software support to the unit for an unpopular device. An Android interface will arrive long before a Zune interface will. And yes, you can tether a phone to the touch. I also have my iPhone tethered to my touch specifically for Pandora.