AVIC411.com

iphone & ipod simultaneously? Or Y-splitter and switch?

Trying to lay out my setup and I can't find any info on this, so I guess it's going to be a long shot. Since I don't have the z120 yet, I'm hoping someone can share their experience.

I'm hoping I'll be able to leave my 240GB ipod in the glovebox (tinyurl.com/36gu5u4 if you're interested) and still connect the phone to share data/screen/audio for playing stuff off the internet or from my computer at home. It wouldn't be difficult to frankenstein a y splitter cable from http://www.cablejive.com/categories/Car-Audio/ but getting it to work probably will be.

If all else fails, putting a switch in to keep only one connected at a time would have to work right?.. From what I see, a double throw four pole switch is what you'd need. I don't think this way would keep both charging, but maybe there are alternatives.

I've read hubs don't work, but since ipods play more nicely with the unit... maybe this will?

I've searched but it doesn't seem like anyone else is trying this, from what I can see. So any ideas, info, or suggestions would be <3ed.

I have been doing this for years. Only not on the same cable. I have my 160GB iPod on the iPod cable and my iPhone docked through the Apple Composite AV Cable connected to AV1. Just be aware that unless you have your phone jailbroken with the proper TV OUT app installed, you wont get things like your home screen or other apps on the head unit.

why does it say that "when connecting to your iPod, both connections (USB and mini-jack) are necessary"?

Well because that is what is required. You have to have the separate Pioneer iPod cable to get full use of the iPod with the unit. The Apple Composite AV cable would be connected to the AV1 or 2 input. Its all in the manual.

The miniplug is only for playback of signals assosiated with video. Because of Hollywood copyright laws all audio from movies has to be outed as an analog signal. That means that all manufacturers supporting video playback have to have their iPods connected using that fking 3.5mm jack. Music audio is exported out of the iPod as digital through usb and converted to analog using the headunits DACs, which are of far greater quality. Pioneer has been quoted as confirming such. So its really only a paranoid, futile attempt by the capitalistic movie studios to control and limit the use of their products. Good for them.

The miniplug is only for playback of signals assosiated with video. Because of Hollywood copyright laws all audio from movies has to be outed as an analog signal. That means that all manufacturers supporting video playback have to have their iPods connected using that fking 3.5mm jack. Music audio is exported out of the iPod as digital through usb and converted to analog using the headunits DACs, which are of far greater quality. Pioneer has been quoted as confirming such. So its really only a paranoid, futile attempt by the capitalistic movie studios to control and limit the use of their products. Good for them.

Yeah I have never heard such BS in my life. See this is why noobs on this forum are an increasing problem. The facts are, Apple I devices do not support digital video output but do support digital audio out. All of the head unit manufactures have made a decision to combine the AV on an analog connection because its cheaper to manufacture the cable to support full AV. The USB on these iPod cables is used for control purposes only, no audio. The Pioneer CD-IU50V cable is required in order to use the iPod on these units.

@Absent, as a new member of this forum, please do not post on this here again unless you know what you are talking about.

I could very well be wrong about the copyright law, but you guys don't have to be assholes about it! You may think its BS but what do you know about copyright law? Are you copyright lawyers? Law students? Content distributers? Content creators? I'd seriously like to know what the law says.

And you think I'm paranoid? About the lengths movie studios go over DRM? Are you kidding?

This is where I first heard this. It is by no means authoritative, legitimate, or definitive. But I am honestly curious what a qualified person has to say about the matter.

Response from Pioneer: "In regards to the 1/8" audio jack on the CD-IU50V cable:

For music, audio is passed to the unit via the USB digital connection.

For video, all manufacturers are required to use an analog connection for the audio portion based on the digital rights management (DRM) standards of digital video.

In regards to the orange sticker on the CD-IU50V cable:

This warning extends from California's Proposition 65 and legal requirements that have followed its passage, and the warning must be included with electrical cords. Please refer to http://www.oehha.ca.gov/prop65.html for more information."

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130IU50V/P ... review#tab

Also, no crap the ipod doesn't out digital video. If there was a law disallowing it, how could it?!..

Actually that's complete and utter BS, there is no such law.

I know, I know, nothing ruins a good paranoid rant like actual facts...

So its really only a paranoid, futile attempt by the capitalistic movie studios to control and limit the use of their products. Good for them.

You call this a rant?

Wow, this is such unheard of BS! Here's a short snippet that took all of 10 minutes to find: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management

DRM and film

An early example of a DRM system was the Content Scrambling System (CSS) employed by the DVD Forum on film DVDs since ca. 1996. CSS used a simple encryption algorithm, and required device manufacturers to sign license agreements that restricted the inclusion of features, such as digital outputs that could be used to extract high-quality digital copies of the film, in their players. Thus, the only consumer hardware capable of decoding DVD films was controlled, albeit indirectly, by the DVD Forum, restricting the use of DVD media on other systems until the release of DeCSS by Jon Lech Johansen in 1999, which allowed a CSS-encrypted DVD to play properly on a computer using Linux, for which the Alliance had not arranged a licensed version of the CSS playing software.