AVIC411.com

X910BT Works With Droid Phones?

I have an AVIC-X910BT. I currently use an iPhone 3G with it and it works fine - contacts sync, music plays... I've read posts that the Bluetooth works fine with Android-based phones but, I'm curious to know how the Droid OS works with the X910BT to playback music, the voice features for playlists, etc. Does the interface (designed for the iPhone) of the X910BT also work OK with Droid phones? Also, if you could provide known newer Droid phones you have "real" experience with getting to work with the X910BT (particularly for music functionality), that would be helpful. Thanks so much!

Thanks for the posts so far... When I asked Pioneer they responded it is a case-by-case basis if it would work or not and that I should test the phone first. Problem is, I cannot test a phone without buying one since I don't have any friends that own a Droid phone. I'm still hoping someone can step up and state they've actually plugged one in and it worked or did not work...

Bummer - it seems no one has experience using a non-iPhone with the X910BT :-( I'm probably stuck with the iPhone platform, to be safe about it. Not that the iPhone is bad but, I do not want the iPhone 4 until the antenna problem with that phone is fixed. No, I don't consider a bumper a fix. If I'm going to pay $200+ for a phone, it should not have any problems that need to be fixed with a band-aid bumper. They need to replace the antenna unit. I know this might spur some comments about the iPhone 4 ("it works fine," "it doesn't," etc.) but, the post is not really about that. I want to know if there is a good alternative to it for playing music via the X910BT... Choice is always a good thing ;-)

Well there is no issue with the i4 as long as you have a case, even then its not really an issue for most people. And we're talking about a glass phone here. If you drop it it will break so there really is no one that should have this phone without a case on it. Regardless there will be no fix for this until the fifth gen phone is released.

Yes, droid works with this unit. I have a motorola droid and it works fine. bluetooth has always worked for phonecalls and I was able to sync contacts into phone. That said, this x910bt DOES NOT support streaming music through bluetooth (A2B2 protocol or whatever). Total pain in the ass as you have to use the audio jack to hard wire in order to stream pandora or whatever. looks like the x920bt now has this. this is my huge complaint with the head unit. I have had droid and headunit for over a year.

Can you plug the phone in to the USB on the unit and have control over the audio files?

When i plug my DroidX into the USB port my X910BT nothing happens. The DroidX begins to charge but the navi does not recognize it as a USB device.

On my boss's Z120BT the Droid also begins to charge but the navi says "Cannot use USB memory on this device" or something along those lines. End result is the same - you cant use it - but the Z actually recognizes that something is plugged in.

At one point the Z gave a different warning and actually forced a shutdown of the USB drive and the Droid would not even charge. navi had to be restarted for the USB drive to be reinitiated. This only happened once though.

Also, for anyone researching how these phones work with these units - I am able to transfer my phonebook to the X910 and able to do everything that comes along with that. however, the contact name does not appear when a phone call is received. it only shows the phone number even if that phone number/contact is listed in your phonebook. i havent played around with it yet to find a solution but wanted to put that out there.

Still would very much like to know - I've seen hints, but no absolute "really tested" posts - can the 910 play audio from a Droid device and if so: how does the 910 interface handle music playback (do I have access to all my playlists, artists, genres, shuffle, etc. via the 910's interface); does album art still display, etc. In other words, how much like an iPhone does a Droid phone behave in terms of music playback and what differences are there (maybe Droid has glitches - some devices are not recognized; you can't use the 910's "iPod-like" interface at all or just in part - for example, you can access artists but, not playlists - stuff like that)... Thanks...

Still would very much like to know - I've seen hints, but no absolute "really tested" posts - can the 910 play audio from a Droid device and if so: how does the 910 interface handle music playback (do I have access to all my playlists, artists, genres, shuffle, etc. via the 910's interface); does album art still display, etc. In other words, how much like an iPhone does a Droid phone behave in terms of music playback and what differences are there (maybe Droid has glitches - some devices are not recognized; you can't use the 910's "iPod-like" interface at all or just in part - for example, you can access artists but, not playlists - stuff like that)... Thanks...

Well I think Newman answered your question. The Droid devices wont work as a USB drive. Headphone out is the only way. Get an iPhone and be done with it.