AVIC411.com

X920Bt - Pairing with multiple phones

I have two DROID phones. Each have their own name. I have tried pairing both of them which pairs fine.

I want to be able to automatically connect to the phone which first gets near the car (between me and wife whosoever is driving the car the day).

I dont seem to get it to work. My thought is since the HU can pair 5 devices it shoudl be possible. Do I need to store profile or somethign to do this? Any help is appreciated.

I dont think many people are using more then one phone. Regardless I don't think there is a way to make this work. Even though it is a stated feature of the unit. The unit only seems to auto pair with the first phone in the list. The only other way to make it work is to manually connect to the second phone when you get in the car.

Got it to work,

Here is how I am using a DROID2 and a DROIDX.

PAir using search button on HU. (Took long time to get it correctly paired).

If you keep in map mode, the blutooth would connect on whichever phone is first in the car.

There are two catches.

1. Do not manually disconnect the bluetooth pairing.

2. Keep unit in MAP mode.

Just tested seem to be working.

Woudl update if I see any issues. For now it seems to be working

The expensive and quite new (2011 model) Bluetooth module in a VW can only connect to one phone at a time, with the same restriction: whoever gets there first. At least that's as far was we've got with our VW. Not quite sure why you'd want more than one phone paired at a time . . . what happens when all four phones ring at the same time?

• 2 months later...

The expensive and quite new (2011 model) Bluetooth module in a VW can only connect to one phone at a time, with the same restriction: whoever gets there first. At least that's as far was we've got with our VW. Not quite sure why you'd want more than one phone paired at a time . . . what happens when all four phones ring at the same time?

No, the problem we're having is even with ONE phone in the car it seems to only remember the first phone it was paired with.

So if my wife takes my car to work, it must be manually paired with her phone, then the next day I need to go back into the settings menu and re-select my phone to get mine to work. Unless, apparently, you leave it in Nav mode until it picks a phone. It's pretty silly.

No, the problem we're having is even with ONE phone in the car it seems to only remember the first phone it was paired with.

So if my wife takes my car to work, it must be manually paired with her phone, then the next day I need to go back into the settings menu and re-select my phone to get mine to work. Unless, apparently, you leave it in Nav mode until it picks a phone. It's pretty silly.

Actually, I quite like that feature: it's my car, so every time several people with cell phones get in the car at the same time with their Bluetooth enabled, it ONLY pairs with my phone. Much BETTER than the VW - as I don't have to turn the ignition off, kill Bluetooth on whichever device I DON'T want to pair with, and then start the car again. That's the process on the VW, and it blows.

I can change whichever phone is paired to the Pioneer, while in motion, without downing the system, at any time I choose - far better in my view.

Actually, I quite like that feature: it's my car, so every time several people with cell phones get in the car at the same time with their Bluetooth enabled, it ONLY pairs with my phone. Much BETTER than the VW - as I don't have to turn the ignition off, kill Bluetooth on whichever device I DON'T want to pair with, and then start the car again. That's the process on the VW, and it blows.

I can change whichever phone is paired to the Pioneer, while in motion, without downing the system, at any time I choose - far better in my view.

Maybe I'm not explaining correctly, but in other BT-integrated cars I've owned/driven and in fact with headsets and other devices as well, they can "remember" which devices have been officially paired with them, and then whichever one is closest (or the most recently used, if multiples are present) is the "connected" device.

I've only got two phones paired with my x920BT, I don't expect it to auto-PAIR with my friends phones or the phones of people walking by on the street, but I damn well expect it to CONNECT with phone #2 when phone #1 isn't present, and vice versa. Like every other BT device I've ever used.

I didnt realize this was a stated feature of the unit. The way most units tend to work is that they automatically conntact to the last phone it was connected to. if that phone isnt present then it doesnt connect to anything at all and another phone has to be selected manually.

for example, you are in the car by yourself and you get home, turn off the car and go inside. 15 mins later you and your wife come back out the car and turn it on, it will automatically connect to your phone since it was the last phone it was connected to. if you phone is not present it will not connect to anything and you will need to go into the phone list and choose your wife's phone. the next morning you get into your car it will try to find your wife's phone but since it isnt there it wont connect to anything until you choose your phone from the list. now your phone is back to the front of the line and will auto connect to your phone until another phone "takes priority"

this is how most bluetooth units i have worked with operate. they automatically look for the last phone they were connected to. im curious to know if the X920 and Z120 do this a little differently. you're sure it is able to connect to whatever previously-paired phone gets their first?