AVIC411.com

how to hook up additional car speakers?

I purchase a pair of 5.25-Inch 2-Way 140-Watt Speaker so I can place both of them in the back center near the window. (I'm making a custom fit for them)

I don't want to hook them up to my 1200 amp, I just want them for mids. I was told I should hook them up to my rear channel however I'm not sure how to do so. I have a avhp4200 and I have a eclipse 2 tweeters in front, 2 on the doors and 2 on the back seat floor panels and 2 subs in the trunk. As I mention I want to install 2 more behind the back passenger seat in the back center. If possible could someone give me a full layout on how to do this?

well, since the avh's only have a built in 4ch amp, you will either need to add a amp to drive them or you will have to wire them in series with the existing rear speakers which will result in a higher resistance and lower volume from them, you best bet would probably be to disconnect the factory rear speakers and re run the speaker wire from the radio all the way to the new locations

well, since the avh's only have a built in 4ch amp, you will either need to add a amp to drive them or you will have to wire them in series with the existing rear speakers which will result in a higher resistance and lower volume from them, you best bet would probably be to disconnect the factory rear speakers and re run the speaker wire from the radio all the way to the new locations

Hmm I don't really like the idea of leaving the factor rear speakers out... you mentioned if I wear to splice the factory rear with the new additional speakers they won't sound as good? Can you elaborate on the higher resistance and lower volume? I want to understand exactly what happens and whats causing it if possible.

Thanks bro :)

adding speakers to the ones that are already there gives you two wiring options,

wired in parallel, will give you a lower resistance, which will increase the power output, but overheat or damage the headunit

wired in series, will give you a higher resistance, which will lower the power output causing less volume (and kind of defeating the purpose of adding more speakers)

more resistance, makes it more difficult for the power to flow, the more difficult it is for the power to flow, the less power will flow.

less resistance makes it easier for the power to flow, the easier it is for the power to flow, the more power will flow, as a side effect the more power flowing through the system will create more heat, heat = BAD, too much heat = damage to the circuit (most radios and amp have a protect circuit, so instead of being damaged, they will just shut off and stop working)

wired in series, will give you a higher resistance, which will lower the power output causing less volume (and kind of defeating the purpose of adding more speakers)

If I were to just wire them in series, the only issue I would have is that they would produce less power since its being shared between the rear and the additional speakers correct? if thats the case I'm some what fine with that because one of the big reason why I'm adding the additional speakers is for when I open my trunk up. The 2 subs has to much bass which you can't really hear much of the treble/high/mid and I just wanted to throw some speakers near them to give off that. Doing this wont effect none of the other speakers (tweeter/door) correct?

If I were to just wire them in series, the only issue I would have is that they would produce less power since its being shared between the rear and the additional speakers correct?

not only will you be splitting the available power in half, but you will also be creating less power because of the added resistance.

for example, lets say that the avic produces 20 watts RMS per channel @ 4 ohm (it is actually really close to that, but we'll use even numbers to simplify)

so each rear speaker you have right now is getting 20W RMS

then when you add a second set of speakers wired in series you go from 4 ohms to 8 ohms

since you doubled the resistance, you now get half of the power, so you now have 10 watts @ 8 ohms split up by two speakers

so you went from having a speaker getting 20 watts to a pair of speakers getting 5 watts each

Doing this wont effect none of the other speakers (tweeter/door) correct?

it wont effect your front speakers at all but it will affect the factory rear speakers

now if you where to add a 4 channel amp (or even just a two channel amp) you could run the speakers in parallel and get much more power and add sound instead of losing sound

so your saying is get a cheap amp

use it for just the additional rear speakers?

yes that would be the best way for sure

how would I wire it?

well you will need to run a power wire from the battery to the amp with a fuse at the front near the battery, then you will need a ground wire from the amp to a clean spot of sheet metal (becareful not to screw into anything), then you will need to run RCA's and a remote amp turn on wire from the radio back to the amp, then run speaker wires from the amp to the speakers,

make sure you get an amp kit (it will come with all the wires you will need to install the amp) and since its not a huge power amp you only need a 10 awg amp kit