AVIC411.com

Avic Bluetooth that looks like OEM OnStar

I finally ran the wires for my bluetooth mic last weekend. I ran it up the A pillar and have it hanging beside the OEM onstar mic in my vehicle. It works great but doesn't look clean enough. Are there any aftermarket bluetooth mics that are made to just replace the onstar mic? Or something that looks similar so I can just pop out the onstar mic and put the new one in it place? I've seen about one aftermarket mic and that was the garmin (which is identical in design to the avic)

I'm not using onstar so I thought if someone already makes an aftermarket mic I'll buy that. Otherwise, I'm going to have to fabricate something to fit behind the face of the onstar mic housing. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing unnecessary work if I didn't have to.

I could easily make this look oem, probably sell them too haha.

• 3 years later...

Lots of questions and few answers. I have a C6 Corvette w/o OnStar, but I purchased new A pilar trim to build custom tweeter mounts. The new pilar pieces have the 2008 OnStar mic with two wires: one red, one blue.

We know the Pioneer uses a mono 2.5mm jack. I just need to know which wire should go to the tip of the 2.5 mm and which goes to the base. I've read that the OnStar mic is pretty good and I like the OEM look and placement.

My initial thought was to dremel the factory mic to pieces until all that remained was the grill and then use a hot glue gun to attach the pioneer mic, but I like the concept of using the factory mic. I just don't want to short out my head unit in the process.

My questions...

If someone has done this, can they tell what wire goes where?

Or

Can I meter the wires for resistance (or anything else) and figure out the polarity?

Or

Does it matter, for example a single speaker wired out of phase still works and sounds fine, until other speakers are added- since there will ever be a single mic, this may be much to do about nothing.