AVIC411.com

Sirius vs XM

A couple months ago, I replaced by Sirius Sporter Replay (connected with Pioneer AUX adapter) with the Pioneer XM/NavTraffic receiver (GEX-P10XMT). My primary motivation was to get all the channel/artist/song displayed on my N2.

I was blown away by the improved sound quality of XM. XM almost sounds as good as my CDs. Sirius sounded more like my radio stations.

The best example is when I listen to the comedy station. When I had Sirius, I was constantly changing loudness / low frequency settings because voice (mid-range) was coming through my subwoofer. With XM, the voice come through clean only to my speakers. I can tell a big difference with music as well. The sound is less muffled and the highs/lows are much cleaner through the speakers/sub.

I also like the music channels much better on XM. I not a sports or Howard Stern fan, so I do not miss Sirius.

I have both XM and Sirius and I never listen to XM. XM is owned by Clear Channel and since it's inception has become a billboard of advertising. Ask yourself this question the next time your listening? Why am I paying to hear all this advertising? It wasn't this way in the beginning? But now it's worse than FM!

Both signals are compressed for bandwith reasoning, but I can't agree that one sounds better than the other. You may have to look at your head unit to see if it has different audio parameters per source.Is your Sirius tuner connected through a FM modulator?

Sirius has made some headway in pulling subscribers from XM just by adding NASCAR to next years lineup, taking that from a huge GM market.

If you invest in stocks, sell your XM and buy Sirius and sit on it. If you think about Microsoft versus Apple (Mac) along time ago and bought 1000 shares of MicroSoft where would you be now? Apple & Mac would be struggling right now if it weren't for the Ipod. Without the Ipod they wouldn't have survived!

Wow. You are very passionate about Sirius. I had Sirius for a year and liked it. I had it connected to three different head units (all direct connect to Pioneer equipment). I thought to poor sound quality was the Pioneer AUX adapter. I ruled that out with my son's IPOD as it sounded great.

I think Sirius has a great marketing machine (as does Microsoft). If the N2 would of had a better interface with Pioneer Sirius tuner, I would have opted for that as my wife's car has Sirius (from the factory) and I could get my subscription for half price.

The improved sound quality was a bonus for me. I had read that XM had better sound quality, but chalked if off as XM lovers beating down Sirius.

The only time I hear commercials is on the comedy stations. Same was true for Sirius.

I think XM vs Sirius is good for all of us. The competition means better pricing, channel selection, and expanded support from the major audio makers.

I have both XM and Sirius and I never listen to XM. XM is owned by Clear Channel and since it's inception has become a billboard of advertising. Ask yourself this question the next time your listening? Why am I paying to hear all this advertising? It wasn't this way in the beginning? But now it's worse than FM!

Wow what an uneducated fool! LOL NO XM is NOT owned by Clear Channel, but yes XM does broadcast 5 channels that are owned by Clear Channel (a deal made before XM or Sirius even launched satellites). Take away these 5 channels, and XM STILL has more commercial free channels than Sirius does ;) Plus less DJ's talking BS, deeper playlists, and of course, better Sound Quality (SQ). I prefer not to have the same "hit" songs played over and over again, because that, my friend, is what free radio is for ;) Also, Mel Karmazin already stated Sirius is going to up the monthly fee to $14.99/month soon. Are you ready to pay that much for Stern? (since you are already using Howie Math & Logic to come to your conclusions).

PS - How "Wellknown-n-da-biz" are ya?

I have both sirius and XM. Never listen to XM anymore but I do use the traffic constantly. Just a personal preference on which you like better.

P.S. You excited me with your little stock quote for a second, since I own shares in both, but I was disappointed to see XM still stuck around 14 and Sirius still stuck around 4. You made me think XM had made a big jump or something and I didn't hear about it. Oh well, maybe in three years

P.S. You excited me with your little stock quote for a second, since I own shares in both, but I was disappointed to see XM still stuck around 14 and Sirius still stuck around 4. You made me think XM had made a big jump or something and I didn't hear about it. Oh well, maybe in three years

Sorry buddy. Didnt mean to do that :) I assume you are a shareholder too? I am optomistic about CES2007 in Las Vegas. According to the floorplan, XM has a huge area on the floor, along with a soundstage, where as Sirius is sharing a booth with another CE manufacturer. I am hoping this means big news in the way of technology that will help drive the stock price WAY up! :)

PS - XMSR is still 403 times more than SIRI's worth lol