AVIC411.com

AVH-3200BT Backup camera install question

Hi All.

I have installed the 3200bt with a relay by-pass and i am mostly please with the unit so far.

now i want to connect a backup camera. My question is about the reverse camera wire in the harness. If I understand this correctly the positive power line of the camera connects to the power line of the reverse tail lamp and the camera neg power line is grounded.

So does the reverse camera wire in the 3200 wiring harness connect to the same power wire of the reverse tail lamp as the camera's positive power line?

That seems right to me, but I want to double check it before hooking it up.

Thanks in advance.

The correct way of powering up a reverse cam is grabbing 12V ignition and ground to it. You then tap into your reverse lamp and connect that to the head unit.

Thanks for the info. Just to be sure I understand, let me recap.

Take the 12v ignition and ground & connect to camera. (can I use any ground?)

Take the reverse camera lead from the head unit to the reverse tail lamp.

Is that right. Sorry to ask you again. When something is new to me I sometimes need to be real specific.

Thanks again.

The correct way of powering up a reverse cam is grabbing 12V ignition and ground to it. You then tap into your reverse lamp and connect that to the head unit.

Thanks for the advice. This worked perfectly. The camera start automatically when the car is put in reverse and I can switch to the rear camera at any time.

If anyone is looking for a good deal on a camera I got one on eBay for $14 including shipping. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Posting a link would be helpful. I'm also curious as to what type of camera I'd need for an AVIC F90BT as I've seen them for NTSC or PAL...which do we/I need?

If you are in North America you need NTSC compatibility.

This is the link to the camera I bought. When it rains you can see the drops on the case, not a big deal but one with some kind of weather shield might be nice, if it doesn't interfere with light to the camera and look too big. Mine is attached to the license plate I drilled a 1/2" hole to run the cables in and filled it with silicon. The hole is not visible.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0559423811

i ran the ACC ignition line, reverse line and camera in line from the stereo to the trunk. Connect the ACC to the + power on the camera. Ground the - power on the camera and connect the video cable. This config will allow you to use the camera at any time the ignition is on by activating it with the stereo.

To have the stereo auto switch to the camera when in reverse (so cool) connect the reverse line from stereo to the + line of your reverse tail lamp.

of course wrap all the lines you put in with electric tape, at a minimum where the connections are.

If all the connections are good it should work fine.

Thanks, I'll make sure to ask for an NTSC when I order

...and cover-up my prized WSU Alumni license plate frame - no no no ;) I've seen the same style without the plate frame mount, but the seperately mounted version would look to added on.

I've been actually looking at the two below, I'm just trying to determine their size for fitment and decide if CCD is really worth 2x the price for something I'll use maybe 3-4 a year since I only want it for backing to my trailer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... OTORS:1123 - CMOS version

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT - CCD version

Some people have used this one below, but I've already got LED's in my license plate lights now, so I'm concerned that the size difference and possible color difference with the smaller LED will change the light output and make it look mismatched. Also, some have noted that they get a bulb warning error on the OBC with this style, but it is nice that it's compact and convenient.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... K:MEWAX:IT

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

THe stereo knows when the vehicle is in reverse when you hook up the reverse sensing wire from your head unit to the reverse lights in the vehicle. If you power the camera from the ACC switched wire, you can flip on the camera any time from the camera button on your head unit.

Here is a shortcut for you.... if you have a truck with a towing package, you can pick up 12V switched from your trailer plug. This will save you from running a power wire all the way to the front. Keep in mind..... It has to be a full tow package. The little 4 pin plug that you see does not have power... it is just for lights. It will be a 7 pin round..... there is a switched power lead there. There is also a reverse lead in that harness also.

So to recap....

Run your RCA cable from the camera jack on the stereo to the camera

Run a wire from your reverse lead on the stereo to the back up lights.

Run your power wire from your camera to a switched lead

Ground the camera.

Tape all connections

Secure ALL wires to frame

DONE!

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

I hate to bring up an old topic. I just want the know how before I decide to do this.

what is a switched lead?

1. use the violet/blackwire on head unit to the reverse light.

2. rca from head unit to the rca on camera

3.ground the black wire on frame?

4. power run a wire to the front ? and attach to the acc?