AVIC411.com

BT MIC issues for BT calls - asking for a sticky

I think everyone understands that software is a key piece of voice recognition.

If you would read the posts, to me it is very very clear that there is an issue between the mic and its associated decoding (analog circuit - hardware).

If you have a VERY noisy circuit (regardless of where that noise comes from), you would need very good noise cancellation circuitry/SW to clear that up (similar to what the Jawbones of the world do). Taking an analog mic input, and converting it is nothing more than trivial. This is the garbage-in portion of my garbage in = garbage out analogy.

VR is also trivial - you buy a SW module that runs on the WinCE OS. However, if you feed that module a noisy input, the VR software will not perform (hence the garbage out portion of the garbage in = garbage out analogy).

Try driving in a Lexus with the sunroof open, and windows down - make a phone call - the caller will hear noise. Now try using VR in the same system - guess what - it's not going to perform well... Strange things happen when you will a signal with noise.........

As for the Z130 working, unless they changed the analog circuit (via different components, or PCB layout), it likely has the same issue(s)... I haven't seen enough here to show me anything has changed from the Z110/Z120. I'd guess very little has changed - and it would take more than one or two posts to convince me otherwise. You don't think Pioneer posts here too ;-)

If you have the time and knowledge, you could trace the schematic - find the analog input to its amplifier - cut traces, hard wire a mic onto the PCB. If you still get noise, you could build your own mic/amp with a nice filter, shielded cable and quality components - then cut out the old, and solder in the new (as close to the ARM input - if indeed that's the chip doing the AD - as possible)...............

Or as I have done, give up using BT for calls, and chalk it up to features that suck (BT calls, VR)...

You won't fix it with a mic or software... And yes they have released at least 3 versions of BT software - if you think there's a bug in the code introducing this background noise, surely that would have been fixed long ago (in Z120 - yes Z120 had like 2 BT updates)...

Soon hopefully the system will open up and at least give us a few things to play with...

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's funny - I saw somewhere a block-diagram showing the mic - and it had a 'circuit' for noise cancel (showing how it works great - and implying amazing sound) - clearly it was a marketing blurb...

i am using the attached mic that came with the unit. or i assume it came with the unit but when you say you gave up BT that means you gave up phone calls because if the phone is connected by BT to the Z120 then you are making calls by BT even if you are using a hard wired mic. correct?

i am using the attached mic that came with the unit. or i assume it came with the unit but when you say you gave up BT that means you gave up phone calls because if the phone is connected by BT to the Z120 then you are making calls by BT even if you are using a hard wired mic. correct?

I do not use the Z120 for BT calls due to the mic quality.

but is it the mic or is it the BT? can you plug the iphone in and use it like an ipod and also use it to make calls via the hard cable? i will try to see if that works.

Read the posts - it is the MIC. BT for sound is wonderful. BT for calls sucks because it uses the external MIC. My phone has a feature that allows me to turn off BT for MIC (use the phone's mic) - with this off, the radio still mutes, but the phone is used for the call (via headset) - everything is crystal clear that way...

Read the posts - it is the MIC. BT for sound is wonderful. BT for calls sucks because it uses the external MIC. My phone has a feature that allows me to turn off BT for MIC (use the phone's mic) - with this off, the radio still mutes, but the phone is used for the call (via headset) - everything is crystal clear that way...

This

i guess i am not being clear. the mic is hard wired to the radio system. the system then sends the voice to the phone via BT.

All communication via BT is crystal clear... Anything that goes into the "hard wired" external mic is garbage... Where it goes from there is relative. If it's sent to be processed by VR, it goes back to garbage in, garbage out. If it's sent to the BT call portion, it's still garbage in, garbage out - your caller will hear noise... At least it's predictable :-)

i can't seem to make you understand. what communication via bluetooth to the z120? there is none other than it being used as the speaker for the phone and the ipod and retriving the phone book. the mic takes your voice to the BT in the Z120 and sends it to the phone. the phone sends it back and the Z120 sends it to the speakers. if you mean the BT on your phone is sounding good via a different BT head set, then that means the BT on the phone is fine. but it says nothing to the BT in the Z120.

i can't seem to make you understand. what communication via bluetooth to the z120? there is none other than it being used as the speaker for the phone and the ipod and retriving the phone book. the mic takes your voice to the BT in the Z120 and sends it to the phone. the phone sends it back and the Z120 sends it to the speakers. if you mean the BT on your phone is sounding good via a different BT head set, then that means the BT on the phone is fine. but it says nothing to the BT in the Z120.

Ummmmmmmmm my personal phone(s) connects to the Z120 via BT - maybe yours does not....

There is only one way to use BT with the Z120 - you sync your phone/device, then use BT for things like calls or music streaming...

Not sure why this concept is so difficult for you...

Maybe read the manual??? While I personally don't believe in Wikis much, maybe this will help you with the basic concept...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth

• 1 month later...