AVIC411.com

BT MIC issues for BT calls - asking for a sticky

I have a z130bt with firmware app v3.001 and specifically am not having issues with my stock mic.  My mic is mounted on the rear view mirror mount up at the top of the windshield, on the left side of the mount pointing towards me.  So far everyone I've spoken to on the phone says I sound fine.

Where is your mic mounted that is giving you problems? 

Do you have the rear and/or sides of the mic enclosed?  If so, as in cupping your hands around the sides of a mic, it will really screw up the sound -- so make sure the mic is on a flat open surface before you assume it's bad.

If you still think it is bad and want to try out some replacements, if you cannot easily get to the back of the radio to plug/unplug the mic cord, I suggest buying a short extension cable for the mic to allow you to plug in new mics somewhere outside of the radio cavity.  Then try different mics and different mic locations, leaving the cord loose for now until you find an arrangement that works best for your car.

As for mics to try, if you want to go higher end I suggest you consider the Countryman B3 omni, for a but under $200 new and probably < $100 used.  I do a lot of sound for theater and schools and this is one of the body mics of choice due to level and natural voice response, as well as it's small capsule size.  It is by no means the top end (you can spend over $500 on DPA) but it is the best "bargain" mic.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's funny - I saw somewhere a block-diagram showing the mic - and it had a 'circuit' for noise cancel (showing how it works great - and implying amazing sound) - clearly it was a marketing blurb...

• 4 months later...

I was looking at the Z150BH mainly because I dont want to put 800$ on a Bluetooth upgrade when I can have a full car deck with GPS for a little more.

It's still a problems? Would it still be a problems if I use the OEM Mic from Volkwagen in my Tiguan ?

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...

It's been a while since I've posted.

I've sold my two cars and kept the DA-350's after swapping in the stock mics.

Anyone who wants one, I can let each for $40 shipped to the lower 48 states.

Hey Dahozzman, how did you get these to work with the avic z's? I'm debating buying one and putting it in my car (I have a z-140bt). The stock pioneer mic is just utterly useless. Also, do you still have any mics left?

• 1 month later...

Hey Dahozzman, how did you get these to work with the avic z's? I'm debating buying one and putting it in my car (I have a z-140bt). The stock pioneer mic is just utterly useless. Also, do you still have any mics left?

You have to buy an adaptor from Andrea that goes between the DA350 and the head unit itself.  Ever so often I ask the caller if I sound ok, and have been getting consistent thumbs up.

I purchased a Z140 for one of my cars, so I'm going to withdraw my for sale offer.