AVIC411.com

Sirius Or XM? Which do you prefer?

Which do you prefer? Sirius or XM?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer? Sirius or XM?

• Sirius
    • XM
    • Indifferent

As a jazz lover, the XM Jazz selection and playlist blows away what is on Sirius. I was tempted to go with Sirius because of the NFL package but after having a rental car with it for a week, the jazz stations were underwhelming so I went with XM. Plus the NavTraffic is worth 3 times what they charge if you live in DC

Love Sirius! Hate the stock; I've lost a lot of money in it!

Anyhow, I got Sirius because of Stern. For my listerning pleasure--he alone is worth the subscription price. But, the music is good.

Eventually, XM and Sirius will merge (or so I hope--maybe I'll finally be able to see some profits!)... Oh, and the RIAA sucks-@$$.

-m

Eventually, XM and Sirius will merge (or so I hope--maybe I'll finally be able to see some profits!)...

I am guessing you are on the SBS forums. Funny how Mel keeps begging for the merger himself. Take a look at Orbitcast and see how Sirius made a big mistake and can't afford Stern's paycheck ;) Hoo Hoo Tell 'em Fred.

Funny how Mel keeps begging for the merger himself.

If Mel wants both companies to merge, he's probably keeping it to himself. I watched him on Jim Cramer's Mad Money deny and play down rumors that he wanted to merge. As he should, he spoke highly of Sirius' bright future. Until that day, Jim Cramer had never recommended Sirius. By the end of the show, Cramer highly recommended the stock. Stocked moved the next day. Then, of course, a few days later Sirius annouced that they had to cut down their projected subscriber rates for the 4th quarter; Yikes! Cramer ate crow for recommending the stock--and felt betrayed by Mel.

The reason I invested in Sirius and not XM was because of Mel; well, at least because of his fundamentals. Too bad both stocks are doing as bad as they are. Oh-well. Whether the execs at both firms want a merger or not; as a share holder--I do!

And even though Stern has cost Sirius gazillions of dollars--he deserves every penny. Primarily because without him, XM would be the uncontested king of satellite radio.

Just my 2-cents...

-m

-----

I can honestly say I like Mel, and he revolutionized radio, but to pay THAT MUCH to a washed-up talk host is insane. I used to LOVE Howard back in the day, but he says some wacked out stuff lately. (And I always hated Robyn for always agreeing with him, afraid to speak her mind).

Primarily because without him, XM would be the uncontested king of satellite radio.

XM still is the king of radio, with more gross and net subs, as well as much lower SAC, newer technology (4 satelite bird in space, as well as a hugely dominant ground repeater network, better SQ compression), and of course more deeper playlists than Sirius ;)

I will say this... I hope there is no merger. I wish the best for both companies. Each has its own style, in all music, sports, and talk, and of course, competition is always better for the consumer. But to me, XMSR is a better stock to own than SIRI right now. (Of course, this can change any week.)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I only have sirius. I decided to go with Sirius because of Stern. So far, no regrets.

I have both on my Z1. XM mainly for NAV traffic, I never listen to it. I'm always listening to Sirius.

I was under the impression that you could get a subscription to only the NAV traffic (am thinking about it for when I move the the NYC area) and not have to get the radio subscription. Is this correct?

I have both right now. Chances are that I won't be continuing my Sirius subscription when it runs out.

I usually listen to punk or ska. XM has a couple stations that I really like, while Sirius' only mention of punk is in their description of Faction: "Rock, punk, hip-hop and more, especially for action sports fans."

That pisses me off. If I wanted to listen to hip-hop or generic rock, there are plenty of other stations for it.

If I'm listening to satellite, it's probably tuned to XM channel 53. Sometimes 42.

I've got both also. I plan to continue Sirius in my car, but keep XM in my wife's car.

A lot of the reason I got Sirius was for Radio Margaritaville, I'm a big Buffett fan. I also tried the online demo for a few days and decided I liked the rock stations a lot better. I think XM is terrible for classic rock - it's all either too soft (Dooby Brothers and Moody Blues 24/7) or too hard. XM has more country stations (also a big country fan), but I found them to be repetitive pretty quick, and actually spent more time listening to a Nashville FM station broadcast on XM (Ch 164 I think). I'm not interested in the NFL, but XM carries the ACC football games, which was a big plus for me this past season.

I also think XM has worse sound quality. After listening to XM for awhile in my old car, I'd start to think my speakers were going bad or my headunit settings had been changed... and then I'd play a CD or my iPod and everything would sound beautiful again. It sounds to me like XM reduces the bass and treble frequencies significantly, making the music sound dull and flat. Sirius is still definitely not CD-quality, but I think it's clearly better than XM.

Both brands get good reception in my area. I've got the antennas installed inside the car on the dash. There are a few very localized 'dead spots' in my area, but the tuner regains connection pretty quick (I think Sirius is slightly faster).

Finally, the Sirius interface for the AVIC D3 is absolutely horrible. I think it's ridiculous that it only shows 1 line of info (artist, song, channel name, etc), and there's no category list like XM has. What's worse, the Preset buttons won't assume the channel name. For example, if I set Radio Margaritaville to 'Preset 1', the button continues to read 'Preset 1'. You have to remember which station you set to each Preset button. Even the FM Presets show the station frequency.

Summary:

XM - ACC Football, decent country music, poor classic rock, good AVIC integration, poor sound quality

Sirius - Radio Margaritaville, decent country, good classic rock, terrible AVIC integration, better sound quality