AVIC411.com

X920BT night map mode & headlight dimming

Had an X920BT put in my 2001 Infiniti Q45 at Best Buy. The screen is blindingly bright at night and does not dim when I turn the headlights on. Manually dimming from the screen adjustment menu doesn't help much. Also, the nav map will not switch to Night Mode even though I have Night Mode turned on (set to Automatic). The installer says there's no "headlight wire" to connect the unit to. How should he connect the illumination wire? And is that what triggers Night Mode in the map display? The nav unit clock is set properly but even at midnight, no Night Mode. Just an insanely bright white rectangle. My Garmin unit switches to night mode based on when the sun sets. Maybe the 920 is not that smart.

Anyway the car is back at Best Buy to have the unit hooked up to the steering wheel controls with an Axxess ASWC. They're having trouble with that too. Plus when the volume is maxed out at 40, it is only medium-loud. Not nearly as loud as the factory Bose HU that was there before. Tomorrow will be Day 3 of the installation process. Any advice appreciated, and thanks in advance.

yeah dude, that illumination wire is what changes modes from night to day. If there is not ILL wire on the stereo harness they can easily tap into a light (example cig lighter light or any other interior light).

Have it fixed ASAP before you kill someone with that bright display.

Hey thanks. So basically he can connect it to anything that comes on when the headlights come on, like the light bulb that illuminates the analog clock? Which is just above the HU.

yes this is what i have to do for every car that does not have a illum wire in the radio harness, it just need to tap into any 12v positive wire that comes on when the lights are on, dash lights work perfectly as long as they are no LED (voltage is too low)usually the climate controls receive their dimming commands from the data bus just like the radio does, but simple devices like clocks and ashtray lights usually work the best.

yes this is what i have to do for every car that does not have a illum wire in the radio harness, it just need to tap into any 12v positive wire that comes on when the lights are on, dash lights work perfectly as long as they are no LED (voltage is too low)usually the climate controls receive their dimming commands from the data bus just like the radio does, but simple devices like clocks and ashtray lights usually work the best.

The key thing is that it has to be a SIGNAL wire that he taps into. Don't tap into the CURRENT supply for the lights...lol.

The key thing is that it has to be a SIGNAL wire that he taps into. Don't tap into the CURRENT supply for the lights...lol.

what are you talking about, there is no "signal" wire for dash lights, unless your talking about dash devices that receive their dimming controls from the can bus, and tapping a voltage sensing circuit in to a cab bus channel would be a horrible ideal. he would need to tap into the "current" supply for the lights, because thats how a light bulb work, there are two wires, a positive wire and a negative wire and the current has to travel through both wires to light up the filament in the bulb, and then the avic senses the voltage through the positive wire and dims its display down.

it doesn't matter if there are 100 amps of current traveling through a wire, the Illum wire will "see" that there is voltage in the wire, and it will dim the screen with no damage to the system, thats just how it works bro!