AVIC411.com

AVIC X920BT install in 2005 Ford F-250/350

I just installed a X920BT in my 2005 Ford F-350. Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures, here is my advice whendoing this install.. The whole install took 2 days. I am sure you could do it faster, but I prefered to take my time. The first day was spent wiring the harness. I used 2 Metra aftermarket radio harnesses. Make sure it is a 24 pin connector. I have heard some bad things about Metra so I verified each wire color. You will need 2 of these connectors because you will need to cannibalize 3 of the smaller pins off of the 2nd connector to do a clean install.

Here is the wiring setup you need to do:

Aftermarket Stock Harness

Yellow Green/Purple 12V constant

(right) Red Pink 12V ignition

(left) Red Black Ground

Black Black/light Green Ground

Orange/White Blue/Red 12V illumination

(left) Blue Blue/Red steering wheel remote

(right) Blue Grey/ Black vss lead

Front Speakers

White/Black Blue/White left neg.

Grey/ Black Green/Orange right neg.

White Orange/light Green left pos.

Grey White/light Green right pos.

Rear Speakers

Green/Black Tan/Yellow left neg.

Purple/Black Brown/Pink right neg.

Green Grey/light Blue left pos.

Purple Orange/Red right pos.

Some notes to consider, the after market harness does not have pins for steering wheel remote, or Vss lead. You will have to take the 2nd harness apart to use the leads. I used the blue wire & inserted it into pin 18 spot for steering wheel remote, removed the blue wire off the 1st harness and re-installed it into pin 14 spot for VSS lead.

I also inserted a 2nd red wire into pin 15 spot for a 2nd 12v ignition source for either backup camera or XM module. If you look at the back of your stock harness it will all make sense.

To remove the pins you need to push the 2 red tsbs on the back of the connector forward. Use a scribe and pull the internal red piece completely out. You will use a scribe and hod up the locking tab for the pin while pulling the pin out of the connector. Once you have all the pins where you need them reinsert the red plastic piece.

When you splice the aftermarket harness to your radio harness, use only quality aircraft/ electronics grade splices, not automotive. this makes a big difference, I see alot of people with connection/ loose ground problems.. Don't skimp!!!!!!

Once all the connections are finished I zip tied and wrapped all the wires into a nice tight, neat bundle.

I spliced the Pac remote module into the harness, power to the 12v ignition, ground to ground, and white wire to right side blue wire (pin 18).

To hook up the reverse sense wire, I spliced off of the Pink/Black wire that can be found going from the white connector on the bottom of the steering column going to the back of the fuse box.

Hope this helps someone, if you have any questions, just post and I'll repley back promptly..

Odie

if you use the scosche harness, you wont need to buy a second harness as there are a bunch of extra brown wires that can be used to repin into what ever pin location you want them in (there is actually one already in the pin 18 slot for the steering wheel control wire)

scosche part number FDK11B (this also comes with the plug adapter that you will need if you have the factory sub under the rear seat)

and i disagree about the type of connectors you can use, automotive grade connectors should have no problem holding up in any automotive application, its the actual way of securing(crimping)the wires that usually lead to problems .if you want better than that then you should solder and tape all connections as that will be the best possible way of wiring the two harnesses together and having a problem free install.

New here

Hello all

I am thinking about purchasing a X920BT for my 05 F350

Is there a place that I can find all the mounting hardware and wiring harness

I was going to get it at Crutchfield but if Amazon puts another 25% coupon out there I might buy it there

Thanks for every ones help

Jason

if you use the scosche harness, you wont need to buy a second harness as there are a bunch of extra brown wires that can be used to repin into what ever pin location you want them in (there is actually one already in the pin 18 slot for the steering wheel control wire)

scosche part number FDK11B (this also comes with the plug adapter that you will need if you have the factory sub under the rear seat)

and i disagree about the type of connectors you can use, automotive grade connectors should have no problem holding up in any automotive application, its the actual way of securing(crimping)the wires that usually lead to problems .if you want better than that then you should solder and tape all connections as that will be the best possible way of wiring the two harnesses together and having a problem free install.

Wish I had known about the Scosche harness earlier.... LOL

The only splices I could find at Advance Auto were 20 gauge and up, butt connectors with cheap heat shrink.. They were way to large for all the wires except for ground and power.. I will post up pics of the splices I used later today.. A lot more streamlined with a factory finished look..

Odie

Here's some pics... What a PITA to take everything apart.. Hope you're happy..

post-47040-000288700 1290887449_thumb.jpg

This is a pic of vehicle side harness.. Note the colors of the wires..

post-47040-016774700 1290887483_thumb.jpg

This is a pic of reverse gear splice into the radio harness. Note the nice splice..

post-47040-090001800 1290887511_thumb.jpg

This is a pic of reverse wire. The wire at the top of the pic is actually pink/black.. I used the leftover green parking brake wire for the splice as you can tell at the top left corner of the pic..

post-47040-004053200 1290887532_thumb.jpg

This is where the reverse wire input connector plugs in. Underneath the steering column..

post-47040-090657900 1290887550_thumb.jpg

Pretty self explantatory..

post-47040-032185400 1290887571_thumb.jpg

Tucked the wire underneath the visor mount for a cleaner look.. From there I tucked it behind the door seal..

post-47040-035159900 1290887416_thumb.jpg

This is a pic of the back of the Metra radio harness that was modified.. Note the color and pin positions, this is important when reading my first post..

post-47040-002071000 1290887378_thumb.jpg

These are the crappy butt connectors I found at the auto parts store..

post-47040-056232600 1290887326_thumb.jpg

Here are the splices I got from work. Alot smaller and easier to work with..

Hope this helps someone with the install. Again, any questions please post..

Odie

LMAO!!!!

Hindsight being 20/20. I should have taken a bunch of pics while assembling the harness.. Stupid me.. But I learned something new.. When you disconnect the power harness from the unit, you have to turn off the rear camera settings, otherwise you get the "image on screen may be reversed" meassage..

im a bit confused with the pac unit I have. it said to tie the white wire of the pac unit into pin 18. I did that, but does that wire have to tie into any of the wires coming off of the pioneer harness?

The Pac unit has a little 3.5mm plug that goes into the back of the pioneer unit, so no splicing into the radio harness..