AVIC411.com

avic-u220 help

Greetings everyone - First time poster here from down under hoping for some of your expert advice...

In Australia, for whatever reason, we tend to pay quite a bit more for electronics (and most other things for that matter). With the rising value of the Australian dollar, it is quite common for us to purchase items from the US and pay the high shipping costs to get it sent over. I recently did this with a Pioneer AVH-P5200BT. At the same time, I grabbed the AVIC-U220. Both items were a fraction of what I would pay here. I only realized after I received the items that the AVIC-U220 is pre-loaded with the US maps and doesn't allow you to put the Australian maps on. I contacted Pioneer and they told me I would have to buy the AVIC-F220 unit, which retails for $789-$999 (versus the $259 price I paid for the US model).

From what I've read, the AVIC-U220 and the AVIC-F220 are identical in terms of hardware. The only difference is the data that is loaded on the built-in flash memory. I've searched through these forums and found various threads indicating that it is possible to mod AVIC units, but nothing specific about the U220 model. I now have a copy of the 2010 Australian maps DVD - not specifically for the F220, but for other Pioneer models. Is it going to be possible for me to load these maps onto my U220? What software do I need to access the U220's built-in hard drive? Are there any other mods I can make to the device?

Thanks so much for any advice you can give!

Well can search the F series forum.

I understand that it must be annoying to be fielding the same questions over and over again from newbies, but from what I can tell, this isn't a question that has been asked before. So, I don't know that the search would be all that useful. (I searched extensively before making my first post.)

Are you saying that the AVIC-U220/AVIC-F220 has the same base operating system as F series units? If so, are there any terminologies that I should be aware of which might help in my quest? What is the base operating system? What version is it? Is the on-board hard drive protected with DRM?

Thanks in advance for anyone that might know any of these answers.

If given a bit of technical information, I (or one of my friends) might be able to work it out such that the entire community might benefit (such that something "can be done with the 2010 units"). Based upon your responses thus far, you don't seem to have answers to those kind of questions. Fair enough. I suspect, though, that there are other members of this forum who have more of a background in the technical side. I'm hoping they might chime in and provide some advice.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Greetings everyone - First time poster here from down under hoping for some of your expert advice...

In Australia, for whatever reason, we tend to pay quite a bit more for electronics (and most other things for that matter). With the rising value of the Australian dollar, it is quite common for us to purchase items from the US and pay the high shipping costs to get it sent over. I recently did this with a Pioneer AVH-P5200BT. At the same time, I grabbed the AVIC-U220. Both items were a fraction of what I would pay here. I only realized after I received the items that the AVIC-U220 is pre-loaded with the US maps and doesn't allow you to put the Australian maps on. I contacted Pioneer and they told me I would have to buy the AVIC-F220 unit, which retails for $789-$999 (versus the $259 price I paid for the US model).

From what I've read, the AVIC-U220 and the AVIC-F220 are identical in terms of hardware. The only difference is the data that is loaded on the built-in flash memory. I've searched through these forums and found various threads indicating that it is possible to mod AVIC units, but nothing specific about the U220 model. I now have a copy of the 2010 Australian maps DVD - not specifically for the F220, but for other Pioneer models. Is it going to be possible for me to load these maps onto my U220? What software do I need to access the U220's built-in hard drive? Are there any other mods I can make to the device?

Thanks so much for any advice you can give!

Lucky you guys...

F220 Hacked. So U220 should be hacked as well.

you can run IGO8.3 if you want.

Seach for "testmode by charlie", or ask me, I will post this hack here.

But... You mention that you have Australian maps for Pioneer units... can you share this DVD? May be it will be temporal solution for some of us who have US models before we can run IGO.