AVIC411.com

Boyo Camera Stops Working When Engine Starts

I apologize for being an asshole and appreciate your help.

When the ignition is on but the engone has not been cranked, the reverse camera works 100% of the time, as in you put the car in reverse, and the camera comes on the screen, switch the car out of reverse, and it goes back to the nav/audio screen.

Once the engine is cranked, the camera only works about 10% of the time. The fact that it works even some of the time is what led me to believe it may be wired correctly.

FWIW, and for the benefit of others that run into this issue, the installer says he figured it out and that it is tapped into the correct wire, but that the signal to the head unit changes when the engine is cranked and he needs to install a relay. Unfortunately I can't take it in until after Christmas but will let you know if this works. Experts, does this sound like a potentially viable solution?

so which is it, does the camera behave in an "erratic and inconsistent" fasion (as in you never know whats its going to do)or does it work very consistantly, such as it ALWAYS works when the car is off and NEVER work when the car is running. because you seem to describe a very consistant behavior.

if the signal is strong enough to trigger a relay, than it SHOULD be strong enough to trigger the AVIC, it is very possible that the wire that he tapped into is a very low current trigger wire for the cars computer and that the signal does change when the car is running, a relay MAY help, but as mentioned above, i dont believe it will but it is possible.

what i would do it instead of tapping into a low current trigger wire for the cars computer is to tap into one of the wires at the reverse light itself (which wire depends on if the cars computer uses a negitive or positive trigger) because light bulbs use a lot more power, the signal there should have no problem being strong enough to trigger the AVIC with out any relays. this is where i always tap into for reverse signal because it always works, and since the camera is back there anyway, its not any more work.

The Boyo camera only has the video extension which plugs into the AVIC and the red/black power and ground cables. All these connections are at the head unit. The camera relies on the AVIC to know when to switch to camera view in reverse. So, are you saying, run the reverse wire from the AVIC to the back of the car and have that triggered by the reverse lights, rather than whataver trigger he has it connected to on the front of the vehicle?

if the signal is strong enough to trigger a relay, than it SHOULD be strong enough to trigger the AVIC, it is very possible that the wire that he tapped into is a very low current trigger wire for the cars computer and that the signal does change when the car is running, a relay MAY help, but as mentioned above, i dont believe it will but it is possible.

what i would do it instead of tapping into a low current trigger wire for the cars computer is to tap into one of the wires at the reverse light itself (which wire depends on if the cars computer uses a negitive or positive trigger) because light bulbs use a lot more power, the signal there should have no problem being strong enough to trigger the AVIC with out any relays. this is where i always tap into for reverse signal because it always works, and since the camera is back there anyway, its not any more work.

The Boyo camera only has the video extension which plugs into the AVIC and the red/black power and ground cables. All these connections are at the head unit.

yea thats pretty normal

So, are you saying, run the reverse wire from the AVIC to the back of the car and have that triggered by the reverse lights, rather than whataver trigger he has it connected to on the front of the vehicle?

exactly

• 4 weeks later...