AVIC411.com

Questions on D2 unit (iPod & Amp control)

New to the forum so hi all. I have a couple of questions on the D2 head unit and couldn't find a previous answer searching the forums. I bought an FJ cruiser which the previous owner had a nice system professionally installed in (with an AVIC-D2) but I have a couple of things I'd like to change.

1) There's an iPod dock in the center console ( Photo here) but it's for a nano and I have a touch. The slot in the cradle is too short to fit the touch into. Can't see buying a nano just for this and syncing music to two iPods, y'know? Is anyone aware of a compatable dock I could replace the existing dock with or at least some kind of adapter? As a side note does anyone know if the D2 will have the same functionality with an iPod touch as a nano? This isn't the latest iPod touch, it's the previous generation.

2) The amplifiers are always on (and noisy) when the head unit is off. Does the D2 have an output signal that can control some sort of relay setup to shut the amps down when the head unit is off?

3) For some reason the installers didn't connect the little 8th inch aux audio jack (maybe figuring the iPod dock was enough?). Is there any reason the direct audio signal from the aux jack couldn't be connected with the iPod dock installed?

Thanks for any answers in advance.

1. Support is going to be limited for any modern iPod anyway. It likely wont charge and may not even work with your iPod. The best thing you can do is remove that custom dock plate and just use the cable that it is attached to or fashion a new plate for your iPod.

2. Clearly the install was not done correctly as the amps should power off with the unit. It appears the amps are triggered from the 12 volt switch wire from the unit but should be triggered from the amp turn on wire. A proper install will solve the problem.

3. As far as I know there is no 1.8" aux input on the D2. The AV1 or AV2 inputs should be RCA connections on the back of the unit. The iPod adapter is a different IP-BUS connection and has no relation to the AV inputs.

1) Depending on how the dock was made, the slot may be able to be opened up to accept your touch. Are the connectors the same for the two devices?

2) I agree with VBLUE42. If the turn on for the amps are wired to the turn on output of the headunit, the amps will shut down with the headunit.

3) No reason you can't have both. The factory Aux Input can be wired up to one of the AV inputs on the unit as VBLUE42 said.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, that's helpful. The connector on the iTouch appears to be the same as the Nano uses. I've never been able to find out for sure if the iTouch will behave like a nano with a remote device like the D2. I'm a little hesitant to just pull the cable out and connect it. Hate to find out the hard way if something could get damaged so guess I'll have to do more homework first.

Thanks again.