AVIC411.com

Getting Incoming calls to display name - iPhone

I thought I'd post this since a search of forum posts provides confusing (to me) information. In order to have incoming calls display the contact name instead of the just the phone number, the contact phone number must not have parentheses or dashes. It must be in this format: 2345678999.

To accomplish this when syncing contacts from an iPhone. Go into Settings:General:International:Region Format:U.S. Virgin Islands. U.S. Virgin Islands is only an example of many regions that display phone numbers in the required format. Note that if you use the United States Region for this example you would get: (234) 567-8999 and this would not display correctly.

Steve

I thought I'd post this since a search of forum posts provides confusing (to me) information. In order to have incoming calls display the contact name instead of the just the phone number, the contact phone number must not have parentheses or dashes. It must be in this format: 2345678999.

To accomplish this when syncing contacts from an iPhone. Go into Settings:General:International:Region Format:U.S. Virgin Islands. U.S. Virgin Islands is only an example of many regions that display phone numbers in the required format. Note that if you use the United States Region for this example you would get: (234) 567-8999 and this would not display correctly.

Steve

Thanks for the tip. I'll give this a try at lunch.

I tried doing this tonight and I failed I went into the iPhone settings and changed as you have said to but it did not work. Could be due to the fact I have a D3 or operator error was there any other steps I need to take

What failed? The transfer of contacts or displaying the incoming call contact name?

Note that this is the way that I transfer contacts via bluetooth on the iPhone. Note that I have a lot of contacts, many have multiple phone numbers and I don't want to transfer all of them. Create a Group in your contacts named something like NAVI FAVS. Add contacts to this with a single phone number and add a H or M to the name to indicate whether home or mobile. i.e. John M Smith for John Smith's mobile #. Go into Settings:General:Bluetooth. Select the right arrow for PIONEER NAVI. This will designate which contacts to transfer. Turn off Phone Favorites and Phone Recents. These do not transfer properly for some reason. Go to Other Groups on this screen and check mark the NAVI FAVS Group. (note that the AVICFEEDS group appears on this screen and you can also checkmark it if you have this APP on your iPhone and want to transfer locations from it). Now pair the phone to the head unit and go to phone settings on the head unit and select Transfer contacts. Many times this will not transfer on the first attempt and you will end up with the same contacts on the head unit that you started with. Usually a successful transfer can be made if you then turn off bluetooth on the iPhone and then turn it on, repair the phone to the head unit and try again to transfer.