AVIC411.com

Vegas here we come!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard a z130 and x930.dunno what they can do

Before I heard about the new integrated traffic tuner in the new Z and the eventual firmware update adding Aha-based traffic to the Z120 and the X920, I suggested one or more of the following:

1. A version of the XM tuner that brings BACK XM NavTraffic capability like the original one had?

2. An HD radio traffic-capable tuner (there is HD traffic now)?

3. Adding an FM traffic data service (TDS) to the base units with a software upgrade??

Sounds like they went with an integrated tuner to do #3 on the new Z130. The new Z130 also appears to have an integrated HD tuner...not sure if it will be able to serve as backup source of traffic data using HD's version of traffic.

At first glance, the new X930 does NOT appear to have the integrated traffic tuner, but WILL be able to use this "Aha" live data service to get traffic.

Also, the current Z120 and X920 will supposedly ALSO get the Aha live data capability with a software update.

Las Vegas (2011 Consumer Electronics Show) – HARMAN, the premium global audio and infotainment group (NYSE:HAR), today announced that its cloud-based Aha Radio™ platform has been selected by Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc. to be an integrated feature in their new AVIC-X930BT and AVIC-Z130BT in-dash navigation products which will connect driving consumers to the world around them with on-demand, interactive, personalized radio. Via an active Apple® iPhone® with the free Aha Radio App, owners of the Pioneer navigation systems will be able to quickly and conveniently access their favorite Web-based information and audio content directly through the touchscreen display of their in-dash units. The Aha Radio platform, combined with Pioneer’s expertise in creating the best in-vehicle audio and video user experience, will enhance the driver's enjoyment, comfort and ease-of-use through Aha Radio connected information and entertainment that is easier and safer to access while driving.

The Aha Radio compatible Pioneer AVIC-X930BT and AVIC-Z130BT will be available in March for a suggested price of $800 and $1200 respectively. The Aha Radio iPhone app is currently available for free in the Apple iTunes store and can be downloaded at: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/aha-radio-by-harman/id355829417.

Aha Radio is simple to customize. Consumers can easily set preset buttons to read back their Facebook wall or Twitter feeds; to access and hear their favorite podcasts news and information (without ever having to sync); to audibly receive personalized traffic reports on the roads ahead of them; and/or get broadcast information on the closest restaurant based on their personal tastes and direction of travel. Aha Radio has been integrated with the Pioneer navigation system to give users access to points-of-interest (POI) such as restaurants mentioned during an Aha Radio broadcast. With a single touch of the Pioneer display, users can receive a guided route to its address.

"Consumers today want to always be connected to the world around them, even while in their car. Through our new navigation systems and the Aha Radio service, we’re now able to provide a safer and more seamless method of accessing the Internet-based information and entertainment they’re demanding," said Ted Cardenas, director of marketing for the car electronics department, sales and marketing division of Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc. "In addition, with the ever evolving Aha app and platform, our consumers will continue to get the benefits of updated content and the ever-changing Web without the need to continuously update their in-car entertainment system."

“We’ve developed the cloud-based Aha Radio platform in order to enable partners to safely incorporate dynamic Web content into their products. Our partners can focus on their user interface designs, relying on Aha to monitor and add new Web feeds, while also optimizing the data for each environment, such as the car in the case of Pioneer,†said Robert Acker, HARMAN VP and General Manager of Aha. “We are excited to announce Pioneer as our first hardware partner. The integration of Aha Radio into Pioneer products creates a system designed from the ground up to be used in a car as easily as switching radio stations with preset buttons.â€

Outside of the car, the Aha Radio app on an iPhone gives users on-demand, interactive and personalized access to a wide variety of entertainment and information options through an interface designed to be quick, easy and intuitive. When used with the new Pioneer in-dash systems, the interface is transferred to the units’ high-resolution touchscreen display and the Aha Platform becomes an additional source.

Very impressive. I'm across the border in Canada and I wonder if this will be compatabile with us Canadians. I've searched iTunes and it looks like its only available in the US right now.

I wonder what else Pioneer has in store. I'm waiting to pull the plug on this unit for March. When can we expect more information? Today? Tomorrow with your hands on @ Pioneer's booth?

Anyways I'd like to thank you guys personally for going out of your way and using your own money to do this for the AVIC community.

Okay...

Bets on how long before someone ports the new OS to the X920BT and Z120BT?

Would be great...and would allow existing customers to keep live data and traffic past the termination of MSN Direct in Jan 2011....

**UPDATE!!! BREAK BREAK! **

Some dude on the Pioneer Facebook site got them to say this...

"...Yes, Aha Radio will be available on the 2010 AVIC-X920BT, the AVIC-Z120BT and 2009 AVIC-Z110BT via an additional map and software upgrade coming when the new 2011 models ship later this year. We'll keep you posted...."

Victory for existing customers???

Very impressive. I'm across the border in Canada and I wonder if this will be compatabile with us Canadians. I've searched iTunes and it looks like its only available in the US right now.

I wonder what else Pioneer has in store. I'm waiting to pull the plug on this unit for March. When can we expect more information? Today? Tomorrow with your hands on @ Pioneer's booth?

Anyways I'd like to thank you guys personally for going out of your way and using your own money to do this for the AVIC community.

No, the new units will be programmed to prevent Canadians from even TOUCHING THE BUTTONS...force field or something...dunno the details. lol

Didn't miss anything lol. The Venetian network was brought down and then when everyone went to 3G, it crashed as well. Give me like a half hour to get to a working connection and I'll upload the pics and info from the press conference.