AVIC411.com

Vegas here we come!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok I've done some reading about the ND-TMC10 traffic tuner that will be optional for the 930 and it is stated several times that this tuner will be "included" with the Z130. So if this is not a typo, it indicates that it is still an external add on but is included with the unit. If this is the case then this should be the 110/120/920 owners traffic solution once you upgrade to the 130/930 software. Jason, is there anyway you can confirm this with anyone from Pioneer?

+1 !!!!!!

Once again to Android and other phone owners, lack of support on aftermarket units is not because of the unit but because of the phones OS. All of these cool features that can be used with iOS devices is because Apple built the proper remote control protocol into the dock connector to be able to do the things we can do now. These other phone clowns have not implemented any type of control into the USB ports of their phones so until they do, its not gonna happen. If you want the features of an iPhone you need to get an iPhone. There is a reason the iPhone is the most popular device ever made and you cant get that with a wannabe.

I may disagree with my esteemed colleague, VBLUE here...

After all, apps like EasyTether allow Android users to use their phones as modems to let their laptops access the internet. The USB and TCPIP transport protocols they had to program for that is probably at LEAST as complicated as anything going on between the iPhone and the AVICs for AVIC Feeds, Pandora Link, Aha, etc.

There's nothing in the standard USB 2.0 cabling to all Android phones -- nor anything in Android itself that I'm aware of -- that would prevent Aha from porting their app to Android. And the new AVICs include USB ports, no?

Yea but you got to consider that the unit is able to send commands to the phone to control the app and as far I know this elimination does not currently exist in Android or other mobile OS's. At least not in the way it exist in iOS devices. It's not that iOS devices are better in this regard (well, IMO iOS devices are better in any regard :P) but that they offer a function the phone guys don't.

Yeah the new tuner shares the same model number arrangement of the ND-MDT10 MSN tuner so I have a sneaking suspicion that it will share the same bus connection and control protocol of the 110/120/920 units.

Ok folks I just received a vague response from someone I assume is from Pionner that the new TMC tuner will indeed work with all 110/120/920 units once the units are upgraded to the 130/930 software. Keep in mind this software will come with a map upgrade that will cost you money. This likely will not be a free update.

Well, isn't that some BS! Good luck to them. No reason for people to upgrade their units for software you can update on the Z110BT, just to get the traffic. Especially in this economy.

Yeah way to go Pioneer, way to build customer loyalty. Congratulations, your Z110/Z120 will never have live traffic. I won't be paying for an upgrade.

I'm in a position where I actually need a double din unit. What would you guys recommend? I'm hearing so much negativity from Pioneer users on here that its making my choices for Kenwood a go. I just don't like the interface, its really block-like and gimmicy too.

I dunno what to do.. I haven't seen much demos of these products this year and I'm worried these are going to be just minor updates and no major changes.

What would you guys recommend? Kenwood? Pioneer? Sony? Other?

I may disagree with my esteemed colleague, VBLUE here...

After all, apps like EasyTether allow Android users to use their phones as modems to let their laptops access the internet. The USB and TCPIP transport protocols they had to program for that is probably at LEAST as complicated as anything going on between the iPhone and the AVICs for AVIC Feeds, Pandora Link, Aha, etc.

There's nothing in the standard USB 2.0 cabling to all Android phones -- nor anything in Android itself that I'm aware of -- that would prevent Aha from porting their app to Android. And the new AVICs include USB ports, no?

but . . . AVRCP 1.3, the standard Bluetooth protocol (audio video remote control) that SHOULD be included in ALL Bluetooth devices such as Android, is apparently ONLY implemented in iOS 4 (correct me Apple owners). What does that mean? Things like song title, artist, album and album art COULD show up from Pandora on our Pioneer screens IF Android manufacturers just followed the spec, instead, they didn't, and we get a blank screen, a play button and a pause button. Lame

There is no AVRCP in iOS at this time. As far as a remote control protocol Apple is the only mobile provider that I know of that has it to the extent that it is available right now. That remote protocol is the only reason we have the features we have with Apple devices and aftermarket head units. The USB functions of other mobile providers only allow charging and file transfer but no control of the phone features as far as I know. Its up to these mobile providers to catch up to what we currently have with Apple devices. My guess is these mobile providers don't see this as a big demand issue sense the aftermarket head unit market is very small compared to OEM head units. I believe there is some support with Android and Ford Sync systems but at this time no support for aftermarket head units.