AVIC411.com

Pioneer announces Z130BT, still doesn't understand consumer needs.

Feel free to read about it here:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/05/pioneer-announces-aha-radio-partnership-plans-for-app-dominatio/

All I can say is the navigation interface still looks like it sucks, EXACTLY like on the Z110BT/Z120BT, and I'll never be buying another Pioneer in-dash unit after having to deal with the step backwards my Z120BT is even from my F700BT in terms of navigation.

Pathetic.

If I sound bitter, it's cause I am.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WilliamG, They released their biggest addition to their double din HU today. It was their big news. Lets wait till tomorrow and the days coming on as we will hear more about the changes. I'm sure they have fixed a few if not most of the issues in the z120bt/110bt. In terms of the interface, I kind of knew that what they did last year was going to stay for a year or two more. So I wasn't expecting a fresh new look. I'm sure they spent most of their time with this new feature plus polishing the interface to make it "perfect". I also expect some changes done with the navigation. But in terms of GUI, it will stay the same. Just a better product.

I think what WilliamG is trying to convey is that the navi sucks in all of these new units and it doesn't appear they updated the features to include a lot of the features the older units had and that every other navi in dash or not has. Sure they may have polished the look of the GUI but that really doesn't add any feature that the unit should have had on day one. We will have to see but I really didn't expect much and I said so about two weeks ago in another thread. We will likely have to wait for the 2012 unit to offer new features.

I think what WilliamG is trying to convey is that the navi sucks in all of these new units and it doesn't appear they updated the features to include a lot of the features the older units had and that every other navi in dash or not has. Sure they may have polished the look of the GUI but that really doesn't add any feature that the unit should have had on day one. We will have to see but I really didn't expect much and I said so about two weeks ago in another thread. We will likely have to wait for the 2012 unit to offer new features.

What would you like to see? I'll run it by them.

I haven't used the newer units, but they seem to be just like the F700BT that I have. Here's a list of things they can do to make their units better:

* More intuitive menus - learn from Diaftia and other mods

* Responsive UI - like the one on iPhone. There shouldn't be a lag between a button press and unit's response

* Capacitive Touch Screen

* Traffic receiver - like the one that comes with Garmin units - with free traffic

* Voice Recognition - It doesn't work 90% of time. Also, when I try to call someone, the unit doesn't confirm before dialing. It just calls the name it thinks I said, which like I said is mostly wrong. I tried Ford sync and it is way better. Also, voice recognition doesn't work for media on SD card or CD. Why is that?

* Fix Bluetooth handsfree - instead of switching back to phone, my unit disconnects the call when I turn ignition off

* Allow 3rd party apps

Feel free to read about it here:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/05/pioneer-announces-aha-radio-partnership-plans-for-app-dominatio/

All I can say is the navigation interface still looks like it sucks, EXACTLY like on the Z110BT/Z120BT, and I'll never be buying another Pioneer in-dash unit after having to deal with the step backwards my Z120BT is even from my F700BT in terms of navigation.

Pathetic.

If I sound bitter, it's cause I am.

"...still doesn't understand consumer needs" I completely agree

The navi software in this unit is the worst of all the units I have owned sense 2006. It is not setup logically for many of the features and lacks crucial features found in 200 dollar hand held units. This section of the unit deserves the most attention instead of focusing on Eco-route or the ability to speak my Facebook feeds. Also I would like to know if the add-on traffic tuner for the 930 will be able to be used with the 110/120/920 units once there upgraded with the 130 software.

The navi software in this unit is the worst of all the units I have owned sense 2006. It is not setup logically for many of the features and lacks crucial features found in 200 dollar hand held units. This section of the unit deserves the most attention instead of focusing on Eco-route or the ability to speak my Facebook feeds. Also I would like to know if the add-on traffic tuner for the 930 will be able to be used with the 110/120/920 units once there upgraded with the 130 software.

I have to agree with VBlue42- fix the dang navi. The other stuff is just distracting to the driver anyway. To name a few: ability to add cust POI/Red lights/etc., POIs results that update as you move (ala Garmin), VR that works no matter when you acknowledge the navi disclaimer, VR that works, bluetooth mic that works, navi that shows side street names...

There is a list of items in the x920bt forum also.

Guys I think we are probably sending the wrong message here. JasonH is doing us an amazing service by paying out of his pocket to go to CES and deliver to us whats coming with the new Pioneer products and all we are doing is bitching, including myself, about the result he has provided us. I think at this point this needs to stop until the units actually ship. There are some things I am disappointed about with what we have seen so far but I really didn't expect to be amazed at this point. The problem is with Pioneer and the fact that they are completely out of touch with what people want as oppose to what they can attract people into with flashy shit. Regardless I feel this whole thread is a spit in Jason's face and I would like to see it stop for now. Because of my feelings on this I will not be contributing any further negative comments towards this thread and will likely point only to the highlights. Please lets all consider the message we are sending to Jason regarding this thread from now on. My 2 cents.

Ok, so I have a question. In the Pioneer press release I found this quote, "The AVIC-Z130BT offers Clear Channel‟s Total Traffic Network5 service for free via a Radio Data Service-Traffic Message Channel (RDS-TMC) tuner. With the included RDS-TMC tuner, ND-TMC10, the traffic service provides an overlay of real-time traffic events and conditions on the navigation map. Will this tuner be compatible with the Z110BT?

EDIT: Never mind, I just saw Jason's comments in a different thread. Man that sucks we can't get traffic on the 110BT.

1. Guarantee that the new ND-TMC10 traffic tuner will work with the X920BT and Z120BT (with any needed firmware updates, of course).

2. HD traffic and XM NavTraffic-ready tuners for more traffic options.

3. Aha traffic *integrated* into the navigation -- not just read aloud to use with TTS while you drive -- for those who don't want to buy new traffic tuners, but who DO have iPhones or whatever you need to use Aha.

4. Fix all the GUI bugs we pointed out in our GUI bug thread on this forum (e.g., cutting off XM song names, etc.).

I haven't used the newer units, but they seem to be just like the F700BT that I have. Here's a list of things they can do to make their units better:

* More intuitive menus - learn from Diaftia and other mods

* Responsive UI - like the one on iPhone. There shouldn't be a lag between a button press and unit's response

* Capacitive Touch Screen

* Traffic receiver - like the one that comes with Garmin units - with free traffic

* Voice Recognition - It doesn't work 90% of time. Also, when I try to call someone, the unit doesn't confirm before dialing. It just calls the name it thinks I said, which like I said is mostly wrong. I tried Ford sync and it is way better. Also, voice recognition doesn't work for media on SD card or CD. Why is that?

* Fix Bluetooth handsfree - instead of switching back to phone, my unit disconnects the call when I turn ignition off

* Allow 3rd party apps

Nail on the head. I have an F90BT and my wife has an X910BT in her car. Fucking terrible compared to my buddies new Ford Flex with Sync.

My list:

1 - Capacitive touch screen - this is really a no-brainer. Resistive touch screens are slow to respond (unsafe to use while driving), and less accurate.

2 - Better NAV features. Add a quick-and-easy "cancel" button. How about an easily accessed "alternate route" button? My dad's $150 Garmin GPS has these features and they're buried in menus on the Pioneer stuff.

3 - Traffic receiver (as above)

4 - Voice recognition (as above)

5 - Bluetooth - maybe this is fixed on newer models but why in God's name does the stereo snap to MAP mode when a call comes in or I make a call? Stupid, stupid.

6 - Get a premiere-level unit out there for people who actually give a shit about sound quality. My F90BT is okay, but I miss the adjustability of my old 880PRS single-din unit.

7 - Better iPod integration - you might be one of the best now, but everyone else is catching up. There's no reason why the LCD screen can't be multi-touch and offer a mirror of an iPod Touch plugged into it.

8 - Ditch the proprietary IP-BUS and go with straight up USB and RCA jacks. There's absolutely no reason to ignore USB anymore. It can control anything you need it to, and can transmit sound as well.