AVIC411.com

Pioneer announces Z130BT, still doesn't understand consumer needs.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about an iPod screen where you can hide the annoying list of sources on the left?

It's also pretty sad that long track names can be displayed on the Navi screen pretty easily, but the text is too big on the actual music/sources screen and doesn't fit.

How about the navi remembering that I've brought up the music bar on the navi screen at the bottom? Every time I start my car I have to touch that bar to see the artist/track name. Really annoying!

Heck, here's the thread I made on the Z120BT and its annoyances. I'd appreciate any of those being fixed. But we all know they won't... :(

http://avic411.com/index.php?/topic/28897-pioneer-seriously-needs-to-hire-some-usability-people/page__p__213751#entry213751

and...

http://avic411.com/index.php?/topic/28799-there-a-way-to-have-earlier-turn-notifications-navigation/page__p__212994#entry212994

That last one is a COMPLETE pain in the butt.

I apologize if I sound rant-y, but I paid a FORTUNE for my Z120BT, and it completely annoys me every single day.

Feel free to read about it here:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/05/pioneer-announces-aha-radio-partnership-plans-for-app-dominatio/

All I can say is the navigation interface still looks like it sucks, EXACTLY like on the Z110BT/Z120BT, and I'll never be buying another Pioneer in-dash unit after having to deal with the step backwards my Z120BT is even from my F700BT in terms of navigation.

Pathetic.

If I sound bitter, it's cause I am.

Maybe we all should discard Pioneer and move to Kenwood DNX9960. Seems to be a much better device and it has Garmin Navigation! I'm also bitter about Pioneer maybe because I have 2 AVIC Z2, cannot connect USB pendrive, navigation sucks, etc. etc...

Don't think that the 9960 is all that and a bag of chips either, I had one and absolutely hated it, the technical specs and operations were fine, but for all we complain about the Pioneer interface, the Kenwood GUI was simply unusable IMNSHO.

I haven't used the newer units, but they seem to be just like the F700BT that I have. Here's a list of things they can do to make their units better:

* More intuitive menus - learn from Diaftia and other mods

* Responsive UI - like the one on iPhone. There shouldn't be a lag between a button press and unit's response

* Capacitive Touch Screen

* Traffic receiver - like the one that comes with Garmin units - with free traffic

* Voice Recognition - It doesn't work 90% of time. Also, when I try to call someone, the unit doesn't confirm before dialing. It just calls the name it thinks I said, which like I said is mostly wrong. I tried Ford sync and it is way better. Also, voice recognition doesn't work for media on SD card or CD. Why is that?

* Fix Bluetooth handsfree - instead of switching back to phone, my unit disconnects the call when I turn ignition off

* Allow 3rd party apps

My old DEH-P9800BT would pause the cd player and the iPod when a phone call would come in on bluetooth. I would like to see this feature added. I agree with VBLUE42... I would also like to see scrolling text.

I think that they really need to step up their game.... being that several factory units more/less are putting the aftermarket to shame...

Namely Ford Sync... I just read a bit from Toyota at CES 2011... They are wirelessly controlling various of smartphone apps via the HU... Something that would interest me, as I don't care to have to take my phone out of my pocket to launch apps...

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/09/toyota-entune-infotainment-system-hands-on-video/

In all fairness.... I think we're just on the teetering edge of a technology curve that would be just mind blowing as far as car audio....

Some would call it the "bleeding edge"....

Unfortunately, every manufacturer seems to be greedy..... Allot like Apple, that releases a revamped product every year, to keep the sales up.....

Nobody wants to dump out the baddest and most logical equipment in one go(quick buck)..... They intentionally degrade the features/performance to keep the product alive$$$$$

As it stands now... an IPad would be(or is the best)for a great foundation of a complete navi/audio system....

Sooo,

I just recently bought a 2007 TB and am looking to upgrade. I had a 7200HD in my old blazer and am looking for something full sized, HD, DVD, Nav .. Ever since I got my first DEX-P1R I've sworn by Pioneer HU's and Infinity's for the speakers but after reading this thread I'm starting to wonder if I should look elsewhere. I'm not looking to wait until 2012 and if I'm going to be spending a boatload of money on a HU I want it to be worth it ...

So I guess here I'm now also asking what your thoughts are. I see that this thread is titled doesn't understand customer needs. Does this mean I shouldn't be going with a top of the line pioneer right now?

Sean

What are the features you wont by priority.

----

Sound quality

-Ease of use/integration (menu, gui, factory feature compatibility)

-Reliability (parts, components, quality, history of malfunction, etc)

-HD reception/clarity

-LCD display quality / Touch screen responsiveness

-EQ complexity/configuration (a. easy to choose tuned defaults b. easy to fine tune beyond)

-Navigation usability. (I don't want to shell out cash for a system that's going to go obsolete for something I can buy or replace and hang from the windshield. If I'm going to shell out a few extra benjamins on a HU I don't want to find it obsolete or less than helpful down the road when I can easily use my 3gs for the same; if so I can easily buy a DVD only unit and I'm back in the same predicament but in terms of that discussion.)

----

The list is probably not accurate and I could think of other stuff but it's late and it's that time.. But I'm curious as to any thoughts anyone might have, below is my original response prior to the quick 'list'....

----

TBH I'm actually looking forward to new features i've never been able to afford myself prior. Addition of navigation (why have one if it doesn't work well right?), DVD system (the TB comes with a rear monitor so I already have one and I'd like to add the feature to the front), ease of use with my iPhone 3GS (my 7200HD has this but it's pretty clunky and not very user/+driver friendly), and lastly upgraded HD quality and pandora radio; I like the idea of being able to find/listen to secondary HD channels along with the use of free pandora.

I'm a computer guy so nothing peeves me more than a system or a GUI that's not responsive when I engage a task/function/or button push. I'm not going to dynomat my entire interior but I will be expecting a crisp and superior sound quality (something like a pair of new 60.9cs's (or the like) along with my pair of 1262W's that I already own (no need to upgrade until dead/blown/gone). I'm going to assume that out of competition that most "premier" HU's today are going to offer like quality in general. I don't listen to rap on the norm but I can and do, typically I'd go for rock/country/metal (yeah i know).

I already own a kappa 4 and I'm going to scrap the MB i have for my subs for a kappa one most likely (I like the size of 'em and so far I haven't had anyone sell me on anything else - willing to listen and entertain the argument/thoughts though =D ).

That all being said one might be able to say that any top of the line HU would fit for me and I wouldn't know the difference .. Maybe in many aspects but I'm very familiar with GPS technology and I am an avid user with handheld (flight/marine) garmin/magellan devices. I like that kenwood uses built in garmin technology. I'm not sure how well the Pioneer line holds its own but I've read more unhappy reviews than blown away reviews recently. I like that the newer decks seem to work well with BT music but all I've found thus far regarding steering wheel controls (mfgr) seem to be guaranteed to work with 2005 and pre-2005 systems - I'd be quite annoyed to buy my system and hookup my ASWI-PS to find out things don't go well or god forbid my seat warmers or climate control quits or ticks of the HU somehow.

~S

Well most of your priorities fit with the Pioneer units. There are a lot of complaints on this forum about how the HD option works on these units however. But what ever you do don't buy these units for the navi. Especially if you have already spoiled yourself with other navis in the past. The link below will give you a pretty detailed outlook on the issues regarding the navi in the Pioneer units. Just keep in mind however, the unit it is compared to also has issue you may not like.

http://www.kenwoodforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=897