AVIC411.com

Verizon CDMA IPhone work with Z120BT??

I have very little knowledge about how the various cell phone technologies work so excuse me if this is a stupid question. All I know is that the current AT&T IPhone is set up to run on GSM and the soon to be released Verizon IPhone runs on CDMA. Does anyone know if this could be a potential problem for the Verizon IPhone and the Z110/120BT interface when they are plugged in using the factory Pioneer IPhone/IPod cable?

I have very little knowledge about how the various cell phone technologies work so excuse me if this is a stupid question. All I know is that the current AT&T IPhone is set up to run on GSM and the soon to be released Verizon IPhone runs on CDMA. Does anyone know if this could be a potential problem for the Verizon IPhone and the Z110/120BT interface when they are plugged in using the factory Pioneer IPhone/IPod cable?

No worries. It has nothing to do with the AVIC interface. The phone uses Bluetooth to communicate with the NAV. The phone network itself doesn't matter.

Thanks! Good to know. I've been extremely happy with my Android phone and Verizon but it doesn't look like Pioneer will be supporting Android anytime soon so I think it will be time to move to the IPhone when it comes out on Verizon. The Z110 certainly has its faults but its ability to communicate with the IPhone (and soon, IPhone apps) is getting harder and harder to pass up.

I mean, it doesn't look like Pioneer will be supporting Android in the same way they do the IPhone - controlling the phone and its apps (coming soon) with the in-dash UI. I can stream Pandora over BT with my Droid but the Z110 can't control it the same way it can an IPod or IPhone when you plug it in - http://avic411.com/index.php?/topic/30485-new-avic-app-mode/.

I generally agree with most of what you post vblue but I gotta disagree here.

I'm pretty sure it's not ALL Google's fault that Android isn't supported on Pioneer's headunits. They are, after all, Pioneer's headunits. Support is a two-way street, Google would need to implement the code in their OS to make things interface with Pioneer, and Pioneer would need to do the same with their software as well.

KawaKLX, what kind of phone do you have? I have the Droid X and I just rooted my phone so I could use wifi tether in anticipation of using the Pandora Link on a Z120BT (if I buy one soon). I have an ipod touch and would use Pandora on that, while using the internet from the tethered wifi on my phone.

Well there is no control from within Android OS to be able to control the media player functions from another unit as it is with the Apple iDevices. Sure it is a two way street but for now Google hasn't showed any interest in allowing their phones to be controlled from an external unit. If they did I am sure someone, not just Pioneer would have support for it. Google is however clearly interested in supporting OEM head units with their devices. So the point I am attempting to make here is it wouldn't matter if Pioneer supported Android devices just as they do Apple devices if Google isn't interested or going to allow them to do it.

Then I think we are making the same point, in a roundabout way :)

I like to think that since the Android OS is much more junior to Apple's platform, Google is still getting caught up with the basics. I do hope that, in the future, interfacing with other devices proves not to be a pipe dream but rather, a reality.

Then I think we are making the same point, in a roundabout way :)

I like to think that since the Android OS is much more junior to Apple's platform, Google is still getting caught up with the basics. I do hope that, in the future, interfacing with other devices proves not to be a pipe dream but rather, a reality.

I don't think you will ever see the tight integration such as the ipod A/V interface, but for generic support over BT I believe the interoperability you are expecting from Pioneer and Google (Android) is found in Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP). From Wikipedia :

AVRCP has several versions with significantly increasing functionality:

• 1.0—Basic remote control commands (play/pause/stop, etc.)
  • 1.3—all of 1.0 plus metadata and media-player state support
    • The status of the music source (playing, stopped, etc.)
    • Metadata information on the track itself (artist, track name, etc.).

[*]1.4—all of 1.0, 1.3, plus media browsing capabilities for multiple media players

• Browsing and manipulation of multiple players
    • Browsing of media metadata per media player, including a "Now Playing" list
    • Basic search capabilities

AVIC Z120-BT supports AVRCP 1.3, as evidenced by the support I found using WM 6.5 Media Player. The last time I tried under Android, it didn't work. However I haven't tried it with the latest kernel. I'm not sure if it is an OS (kernel/driver) issue or an application issue. Maybe a check of various media players found in Android Market will turn up something. I haven't done any research since it isn't a priority for me, but I just did a quick google of "Android AVRCP" and found lots of discussion and complaints in developer forums about lack of AVRCP support by Android. So I would say the ball is in Googles court as far as interoperability goes.

BTW, would love to see AVRCP 1.4 support. That would be in the ballpark of Pioneer's ipod support.

I hope that this isnt a gross violation of the rules, but I read through some google results and wanted to share some links that address the Android issue:

http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid/31513-droid-avrcp-car-audio.html

- Confirmed on my z100bt with Droid Incredible.

- Failed miserably on my DroidX while playing Pandora over BT

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=557088 (Android on HTC Info)

Another thread addressing this: http://avic411.com/index.php?/topic/29343-avrcp-13-yea-or-nay/

The general consensus seems to be that if you have an app launched which supports and handles the AVRCP commands, then you have some limited capability.