AVIC411.com

rear view camera options

I'm thinking of adding a rear view camera just for the hell of it.

So, cost won't be very high. I will likely pick up a camera built specifically for my 2007 Mazda 3 (chinese - Ebay).

These are between $30 and $80, depending on CMOS or CCD.

In order to have the ability to A:) trigger the reverse screen while in reverse, and B:) be able to switch to the screen when in other gears,

how many wires need to be present on the camera itself?

I know that red usually goes to the tail-light power, and black is ground, but what gets hooked up to the screen for full-time viewing?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The red lead doesn't go to the tail light, it goes to a ignition switched power source. I don't know what u mean by what gets hooked up to the screen for full-time viewing.

on another thread, a user complained that when in reverse, an image appeared on the Pioneer. But when he "selected" the rear-view camera, in any other gear besides reverse, he got a black screen.

I would like the ability to have both.

Is that reliant on how many wires come from the camera, or are all cameras created equal in this regard?

And, what would be the correct wiring to achieve both situations?

thanks

on another thread, a user complained that when in reverse, an image appeared on the Pioneer. But when he "selected" the rear-view camera, in any other gear besides reverse, he got a black screen.

I would like the ability to have both.

Is that reliant on how many wires come from the camera, or are all cameras created equal in this regard?

And, what would be the correct wiring to achieve both situations?

thanks

It most likely means that the camera is powered by the reverse light, so when you simply switch the head unit to camera's input, it still is not getting nay power. Hence no picture.

Connect the camera correctly, and it should not be an issue.

It most likely means that the camera is powered by the reverse light, so when you simply switch the head unit to camera's input, it still is not getting nay power. Hence no picture.

Connect the camera correctly, and it should not be an issue.

and "correctly" would be to a constant 12v source?

and "correctly" would be to a constant 12v source?

no, if the camera is connected to constant, then the camera would be on all the time and would kill your battery every day.

you need a camera that has two wires(power and ground) and a video out RCA, thats it.

ground the ground wire, hook the power wire up to a ACC source (the easiest one is the red wire at the radio) that way every time the car is turned on the camera will be also, then you can select the camera as a source at any time you would like, then there is a reverse wire from the radio that need to be connected to the car so that the radio knows when the car is in reverse and will switch automaticly.

it really is that simple

no, if the camera is connected to constant, then the camera would be on all the time and would kill your battery every day.

you need a camera that has two wires(power and ground) and a video out RCA, thats it.

ground the ground wire, hook the power wire up to a ACC source (the easiest one is the red wire at the radio) that way every time the car is turned on the camera will be also, then you can select the camera as a source at any time you would like, then there is a reverse wire fromt ehradio that need to be connected to the car so that the radio knows when the car is in reverse and will switch automaticly.

it really is that simple

ah, that all sounds simple except for the last bit - do you know where the reverse wire from the radio gets connected to? You said "the car". Where on the car.

thanks

yea the reverse light itself is the easiest place to get it at since the camera has to go back there anyway, some times you can find the wire somewhere else but its usually a lot harder to find and you will need vehicle wiring diagrams

yea the reverse light itself is the easiest place to get it at since the camera has to go back there anyway, some times you can find the wire somewhere else but its usually a lot harder to find and you will need vehicle wiring diagrams

ah, OK. So the Pioneer actually connects to the reverse light, as opposed to connecting to the camera in any way?