AVIC411.com

rear view camera options

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also bought a cheap back up camera from ebay, 2 actually. The first one didnt make after the first time I power washed my truck! The second is the kind that bolts to the license plate. So I ran the red wire to "hot while key is on" black to ground of course. The reverse wire to reverse and tapped into that so I can toggle it on any time not just in reverse. Very simple to do.

I also bought a cheap back up camera from ebay, 2 actually. The first one didnt make after the first time I power washed my truck! The second is the kind that bolts to the license plate. So I ran the red wire to "hot while key is on" black to ground of course. The reverse wire to reverse and tapped into that so I can toggle it on any time not just in reverse. Very simple to do.

do you remember, or have the info for the one you bought off ebay? That's where I'm looking. Does this brand seem familiar? It's more of a novelty for me, since I haven't backed into anything in many years :)

But if a car-was would trash it, that would be bad.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MAZDA-3-CCD-NTSC-Car-Rear-View-Backup-Camera-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3f03be851aQQitemZ270645757210QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

it's a CCD, and I wondered if that factor would improve its chance of longevity

it's a CCD, and I wondered if that factor would improve its chance of longevity

I doubt it. Its from eBay, is cheap, and ships from China so I would say those are going to be the deciding factors on its longevity, or lack there of actually.

• 1 month later...

Rather than starting a new topic. My cam has a power (Red) and ground (Black) wire. I know that if I only hook the red wire up to the reverse light, it will only come on when backing up. Is there a way that I could modify the wires somehow ie (add another wire) so that I could use the cam whenever plus when backing up? I haven't found a good explanation on this.

If you power the camera from 12v live (with the key on) then it will always have power to it when the keys is on. Going into your nav's AV menu, pick 'Back-up' as the source from the top of the screen. I use this when pulling a trailer sometimes to check the load.

hg

Maybe this might help. My cam does not have a reverse wire on the harness. Guys don't have to be mean since I'm just getting use to all this.

edit: I saw some how to's on youtube. I get the idea now. Just gotta make sure the cam will automatically show up when in reverse. Gotta look in the x920 settings.

The backup wire is on the unit.

Ok that makes more sense to me now.

edit: Just looked over the installation book and it didn't lead me to believe that I need to hook the power wire up to the reverse wire on the harness. I'll just follow the video I watched on youtube. Sorry for asking the same question again. I'll figure it out sooner or later.

Rather than starting a new topic.

thank you for that, as you probably would have got some pretty rough responses.

My cam has a power (Red) and ground (Black) wire. Is there a way that I could modify the wires somehow ie (add another wire) so that I could use the cam whenever plus when backing up? I haven't found a good explanation on this.

so i take it that you haven't read any of this thread then have you as tis is the whole point of it and has been covered from the beginning

Just gotta make sure the cam will automatically show up when in reverse.

as mentioned in post #10 from the first page: all that you have to do for this is have the camera powered up (red to a switched power source, and black to ground) then the reverse wire from the avic has to be connected to a reverse signal from the car, then have it turned on in the settings.

as mentioned in post #10 from the first page: all that you have to do for this is have the camera powered up (red to a switched power source, and black to ground) then the reverse wire from the avic has to be connected to a reverse signal from the car, then have it turned on in the settings.

Ok this is now clear as day, I take the reverse signal from the x920 and run it to like the back up lamp. Thats easy.

How could I be some dumb for not reading #10. :oops::wacko: