AVIC411.com

Confused about N1 - N3 upgrade

Hi all,

I've gone through and read a bunch of posts, learned quite a bit, but am still somewhat confused. I have an N1 H/U and brain (with original 40M maps) and have the opportunity to upgrade the brain to an N3 (with 60M West disc). I understand N1 - N3 H/U's are interchangeable with the brains. When I connect the N1 H/U to the N3 brain and insert the 60M disc, the screen prompts an error message telling me to "Please insert the correct disc". When I insert the 40M disc, the navigation and screen display normally. I checked the OS (V 1.02) and have also reset the H/U after connecting the brain.

One of the posts I read stated that I may need to "flash" the memory before installing the N3 brain. Is this the case? If so, how do I go about doing that? If not, what more do I need to do?

If I have missed this information in another post, I apologize. Any help and / or guidance is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Will

Ok so I think I figured out the problem. I was able to find in another thread how to flash the memory and I've come to believe it's the 60M disc that I have that's the culprit. I am able to flash the memory with the 40M disc, but the H/U freezes up on me when I try to do it w/ the 60M.

Now the dilemma... to upgrade the software so that I have the functions and capabilities that the N3 brain offers, I need to find a new 60M disc correct? Going straight to the new 100MT discs will do nothing for me other than update my maps?

Thanks!

Will

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...