AVIC411.com

Jetta mkiv tdi +avic d3 + iphone 4

Howdy everyone, I just installed a d3 in my 2000 jetta tdi and relied heavily on the search function here and some trial and error to solve the majority of the problems so I thought I would post those problems and solutions here in case someone else encounters similar situations.

Items used and where purchased.

avic d3- eBay

BTB200-eBay

i200 (5v hack)-ebay

gps cable+antenna-ebay

adt-va133-amazon

wiring harness for jetta- best buy

I installed the system using the pioneer adt-va133 which fits the dual opening of the jetta but you have to push REALLY hard, and do a little bending. If you're ok with the head unit kit sticking out any extra1/8 of an inch, then you don't need to do anything to it, but if you want it to be more or less flush with the surrounding you have to bend the wings on the outside of the cage and slide it back into the opening a little bit extra. It's still not perfect but it looks a bit better.

Issue #1- why doesn't this f-ing cable charge my iphone?!

So I was bench testing the unit to make sure it booted up ok, and decided to try out the ipod 5v cable on my iphone, while it did allow the d3 to see my phone it did not charge it. this was a huge bummer because I thought that was th point of having a 5v i200 cable. I solved this problem by pulling a 12v lead directly off of the wiring harness and running it to the "box" that contained the 12v to 5v step down circuit board (it's built into the cable about 18" away from the base allowing you to hide it and still have about 36" left to pop out from behind the dash/center console). I didn't expect it work, but low and behold the phone charged and the d3 recognized everything. I'm not sure if the initial lack of charging was due to a fault of the connector on the cable or the power output of the d3 but giving it a direct 12v feed worked great. Note: I decided I'd be "smart" and pull the 12v lead off of the red wire which I believe is the "battery" wire so that I could leave the phone charging with the camera off, not only does it not do that, now if I leave the cable connected to the iphone and turn the car off and pull the key out the radio stays on, I'll most likely change that over to the yellow "alternator" feed in a couple of days when I hook up the vss and reverse wire.

issue#2- Why does the "mute" tag pop up, Why does the gps think I'm in brooklyn/los angeles? What did I screw up on the bypass?

I did a search and looked up all of the information and read (keyword read) all of the stickies on this site. I found some people that had similar issues but their fixes didn't work. It wasn't until I clicked on the flash guide that I discovered (what I assume to be) the issue. It turns out that the person who owned the d3 before me had already done the bypass so when I swapped the mute cable I was in fact putting it back to where it was originally located. So when I swapped the mute cable (a second time) suddenly everything worked great. I don't know if this is directly linked to the gps issue (it kept telling me I was located at the default east or west coast starting locations. but as soon as I swapped it the gps found me (i'm in the southeast) So for those of you that pick up the d3 on ebay and it comes with a wiing harness, double check the sticky that has the flash guide, and make sure that the bypass wasn't already done, cause you'll feel really stupid if it was.

issue#3 Why the f- doesn't my iphone pair with the system?

Well it turns out the guy who owned the btb-200 before me changed the default password (somehow) so after 15 attempts at pairing I decided to hit the reset button (well hold down the reset button) and sure enough the default passcode worked and the iphone paired no problem. IN fact everyone I've spoken to says that I sound clearer through the btb-200 then I do just talking into the phone, which is pretty cool.

issue#4 Why the f- do I have to keep pairing my iphone with the d-3?

I totally didn't realize that the phone had to be registered after it was paired for it to auto-connect when you get in the car. I dId that and sure enough the car picks up the call as soon as you turn the car on.

Issue #5 Why can't I watch video on the d3 through my iphone?

Cause apple sucks. I remember with the old 3g I had I hooked it up to an alpine head unit and was able to see videos from the phone, and videos from youtube. Well some time since then apple released a "firmware update" that kept video from coming down the line of the dock connector. This sort of pissed me off, fortunately there are people out there who are talented at making things work "better". So I jailbroke the phone (which I was extremely hesitant to do but surprisingly easy i used "green poison") and downloaded resupported 4. It's perfect and I love it. Best 4 dollars I've ever spent.

Issue #6 How can I set the phone to default to bluetooth for phone calls but dock connector for music?

I uh, still haven't figured that one out. When I get in the car and hook up the iphone to the car the music plays for about 3 seconds until the phone autoconnects through blue tooth then I have to pull up the ipod app on the phone and change the output to "dock connector" but doing that resets the phone, so when you get a call it doesn't go through the d3. It stays on the "iphone" option when speaking then you have to click on the d3 bluetooth option. It's super annoying and seems like it should just be an option in the phone but I can't for the life of me figure out where that selection is if it exists.

Issue#7 Why can't I sync my phone book?

Yup I can't sync my address book, I even downloaded the avic app from the app store but I haven't figured that out yet.

Anyhow maybe this helps someone else out most of the problems seem to come about because I bought my stuff used off ebay but since this head unit and items are kind of old I think there will be more "new" owners that are buying there stuff used and perhaps encountering similar problems.

Anyhow I've had the system installed for a couple of days now and I'm angry at myself for not doing this install sooner, I totally love it.

1. Because your using five year old technology with an i4 that came out 8 months ago.

6. You cant. The iPhone will always switch to the dock out when you plug it in.

7. Because the iPhone doesn't offer OPP. And the AVIC FEEDS app will do nothing for you with a D3.

1) I thought the avic came out in 2007.whic would be 4 years subtract 8 months and you get a little over 3 years technology difference. Either way, the cable and extra power feed did end up working to charge the phone while letting the d3 see it (in case anybody else wants try and make "old" technology work.

6) That's actually not been the case. (if it did that would make me happy). The problem is I plug it into the dock connector when I get into the car then it switches over to blue tooth audio, so then I have to go into the phone and switch it back to the dock connector so that I can hear the audio. I honestly think it's an apple/iphone thing, Evidently (according to the apple "genius" I spoke with) this happens in all cars that have auto-pairing and a dock connector. Has anyone not had this problem? It seems like there should be an app (via appstore or cydia) that can solve this preference issue pretty easily.

7) Yup I'm a moron, I thought the avic app was for all avic's but as vblue mentioned it's not, oh well. The app didn't look very helpful what I was trying to do anyhow.

What is OPP? (yeah you know me) Who's Down with OPP? (every last lady, all the homies...who?) What's the preferred way of putting in contacts?

I've had the system installed for about 48 hours now and I have to say I really like it, it kinda gives me a reason to look forward to driving.

1. It came out in 06.

6. Yes that is what I meant. There is no way to fix it unless you want to disable A2DP. And it is an iphone thing.

7. Object Push Profile. Its an old technology that the iPhone doesn't support but it is the only profile the CD-BTB200 supports. There is no way to get contacts from an iPhone on this unit. Again, 5 year old technology.

1) Fair enough.

6) The work around I've been playing with is this instead of digging through the ipod menu and manually changing back to the dock cable just pulling the dock cable and repatching it. I guess the iphone just defaults to whatever sound source was added most recently.

7) What I've been doing in lieu of contacts is using the "voice" recognition on the phone to call the contacts. It works pretty ok (people with last names that have are polish or germanic it has some troubles with). Now I don't get to "know" who's calling when an incoming call shows up (via the radio) but I can usually just look over at the phone and see who it is.

Thanks for the update on OPP I googled it and read up but it still didn't really make sense to me, your description was far more straight forward I appreciate it. While I do like the idea of the new technology out there and head units and what not, it seems a little absurd for me to get a new 1200 system for a 11 year old car that's maybe only worth that much itself.

• 10 months later...

Sorry for the resurrection, but I'm looking to purchase all the cables I need before reinstalling my D3 in my new truck.

How this install work out? What can you do with the D3 and the iphone4 (video output? steering wheel controls? what can be controlled on the headunit?)

Did the cable work out? I'd rather spend $20 on the ebay 5v cable instead of $25 on a pioneer cable and $60 on the 5v adapter and 6' extension.