AVIC411.com

I have a x920BT. I did a search for "reception" and 99% of the return hits were for GPS/XM reception. The problem Im having is poor FM radio reception on radio stations that on my stock head unit never would fade out under any circumstances while still in the metro area. Got a 7115BT for about 2 weeks and had the same problem among many others...then decided to just pay the difference on the upgrade for the 920BT and it has THE SAME ISSUES with FM reception.

My questions are: Is this a common problem with these units? Should I try to fin an alternate/longer antenna to replace the short stubby antenna that is on the roof of my Dodge Nitro? Do after market antenna "boosters" actually work, and, would one of the so called "boosters" help in this case?

Any input or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

I have the same exact problem. Also had the same problem when I had an AVIC-D3. My guess is that the antenna adapter you have to use to connect the factory antenna to the Pioneer unit decreases the quality a little bit. It is pretty annoying, but then again, I never listen to the radio anymore. I always have my iPod playing.

you may have a factory antenna amplifier if the cars dont have old school metal stalk antennas, and you have either a inglass, shorty, or sharkfin style antenna, if so there is usually a wire that needs to get connected to the AVIC's power antenna wire, this wire is usually wither blue or blue/white on the aftermarket harness

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same poor FM reception, the original radio did not provide power to the antenna by the way....

it might help if we knew what kind of car you had, by the way, how do you know that there is not an antenna amplifier built into the car that is not getting turn on?

• 3 weeks later...

Concur with other posters who state we can't possibly help unless you tell us exactly how you connected to your car radio antenna, what splitters/adapters you used (if any), what make/model/year of car you have, etc.

Also, what choices did you setup in the AVIC local/bsm/signal strength menu options, etc.?

Data dude...we need data. We're gods (true), but we can't make bricks without clay.

• 1 month later...

Concur with other posters who state we can't possibly help unless you tell us exactly how you connected to your car radio antenna, what splitters/adapters you used (if any), what make/model/year of car you have, etc.

Also, what choices did you setup in the AVIC local/bsm/signal strength menu options, etc.?

Data dude...we need data. We're gods (true), but we can't make bricks without clay.

I have a similar problem with poor FM reception - would appreciate any suggestions:

Australian AVIC-F20BT

Car: Nissan Skyline 350GT imported to Australia from Japan (=Infiniti G35), Dec 2005 model

Antenna: Printed on to rear screen (couple of lines above heater)

Original stereo was stock Nissan (non-Bose)

Complicating this - Japan has different FM frequencies, so the car has an in-line frequency shifter that was installed for the old stereo. Unfortunately, that never worked particularly well either.

Original Avic installer shrugged shoulders. Is there a solution that doesn't involve drilling a hole and installing an old-skool vertical antenna?

Any help much appreciated

Original Avic installer shrugged shoulders. Is there a solution that doesn't involve drilling a hole and installing an old-skool vertical antenna?

well you can buy (in the usa at least) a ampflied antenna that sticks up to the top of the windshield (usually not the best reception). but at least there are some options

well you can buy (in the usa at least) a ampflied antenna that sticks up to the top of the windshield (usually not the best reception). but at least there are some options

yeah - keeping that as a last resort... Is the problem likely to be something to do with the stock antenna being a "diversity" antenna and the installer not using the correct adaptor??

well if it is a diversity antenna, you cant really use the wrong adapter, only one will fit, however the adapter could be bad, or an adapter might not have even been used and it just rigged up. also if there is just a in glass antenna and not an old school metal stalk antenna, there might be an amplifier that is not getting turned on

well if it is a diversity antenna, you cant really use the wrong adapter, only one will fit, however the adapter could be bad, or an adapter might not have even been used and it just rigged up. also if there is just a in glass antenna and not an old school metal stalk antenna, there might be an amplifier that is not getting turned on

Another guy I spoke to assures me the amplifier is turned on because I can pick up AM. He thinks its because of the rear glass tint (5%)

think I'll buy an adaptor and a windscreen mounted antenna, take them all to an installer and see what works (car is non-standard for Australia so no local experts) - will post back in a month or 2..

UPDATE: Finally took it to another installer - he said the original installer had left the Japan-to-Aus frequency shifter in place. After removal everything now works superbly! Not sure if the adaptor was required - he kept it anyway...

I also had him install steering wheel controls using factory controls and swi-ps pac. Works beautifully.

He thinks its because of the rear glass tint (5%

unless the tint has an unusually high amount of metal in it, it really shouldn't. i have 5% on my car with a inglass, and reception is great (well as good as inglass can get)

• 3 months later...
Complicating this - Japan has different FM frequencies, so the car has an in-line frequency shifter that was installed for the old stereo. Unfortunately, that never worked particularly well either.
If you got bad quality signal and your AVIC shows you WRONG frequency for FM stations I would suggest you to exclude this frequency shifter. It is only necessary if you use japan market radio tuner here in Australia.
  • 3 weeks later...

I am having the same problem on my 06 Silverado with X930BT. FM cuts out alot. Old unit didn't do that. My truck has a old school stick antenna so it should work fine. I wander if there might be some sort of adapter issue. Anyone have any ideas on this. It's annoying as hell.