AVIC411.com

HDD unlocking DISCOUNT to avic411 members !!

Good news, I've been in touch with Daniel at A-FF Data Recovery and he has offered a special discount to members of avic411.com.

http://www.hdd-tools.com/products/rrs/licenses/rs-avic411.html

Here a quote from Daniel:

Please let me know if there is any trouble with this page.

Thanks,

Sincerely,

Daniel Clay

A-FF Data Recovery Support

affsupport@hdd-tools.com

UPDATE: Since this was posted originally, things have changed and we can now buy a Toshiba laptop hdd for little more than what it costs to unlock. Installing the Z2 image to a new drive leaves the old drive intact in case things go wrong. :!::!:

At the moment the only thing we know that we can successfully do once the hard drive is unlocked is:

1. Change the boot up image.

2. Load a few of your own backgrounds on to the hard drive.

The above things are the only things we have gotten to work.

Once you have access to the files on the hard drive, theoretically you can do some cool things like:

1. Load MP3's right to the drive without importing.

2. Remove pop up warnings.

3. Misc hacking.

These are things we would like to see, but have been unable to do. But with more people messing with things... maybe someone will figure out how to do them.

.... BANG! .... :)

Once you have access to the files on the hard drive, theoretically you can do some cool things like:

1. Load MP3's right to the drive without importing.

I've been away for a while. Is it now possible to get MP3's onto the hdd by any other means? Importing? :oops:

I've been away for a while. Is it now possible to get MP3's onto the hdd by any other means? Importing? :oops:

No that's theoretical. You can put MP3's on there, but you can't play them. I was giving a list of things we could have access to with an unlocked hard drive.

The only thing that works is boot image and backgrounds.

At the moment the only thing we know that we can successfully do once the hard drive is unlocked is:

1. Change the boot up image.

2. Load a few of your own backgrounds on to the hard drive.

another thing yo can do once it's unlocked is to properly defrag the drive to improve performance... i used perfect disk on it and it improved the boot time and navigation quite a bit....

Sam

You can put MP3's on there, but you can't play them.

Thanks, thought maybe I missed something.

This maybe a stupid question but has anyone thought of perhaps adding a small program to play mp3's?

Without some supreme insider knowledge, this would be virtually impossible. We have better luck cracking their "playlist files" and converting the MP3's to AT3's and making new playlist files.

Hey i was wondering if anyone knows how i can change the operating system. As soon as i realized it has windows automotive, i got pissed. It would be cool if i could run mac os x mobile it would be so cool. not only that but i would bet a million dollars os x would run at least twice as fast as windows automotive. If anyone has some info please send me a message.

First: Is there actually a "Mac OS X mobile"? If so, is it for automotive use or PDA/cell phone use? I've heard a bit of talk about one, but it turned out to be a wishlist.

Second: What would you use for software? I mean, if you put a mac os, then you would have to have mac software to control all of your functions (incl. GPS). Or else, you'd have to run a windows mobile emulator and then run the AVIC software on top of that. In that case, I'd think that your speed savings would be less than nil.

I don't think that this would be an easy hack... Maybe a linux mobile? :wink:

Is the unlock perment or do I get the password or do I pay to unlock it evrytime, I won't to add stuff? The A-FF Data Recovery website says "One successful recovery or unlock of any drive".

You don't get the password. I don't know if they can figure out what it is. They can unlock the drive, but I imagine that they overwrite a known password over the unknown one and then they unlock the drive with the new known password.

And it's permanent as long as you don't put it back in the Z1. You have to disable the locking otherwise the Z1 will just lock it again.

It's all:

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=728

Step by step instructions.

• 4 weeks later...
Hey i was wondering if anyone knows how i can change the operating system. As soon as i realized it has windows automotive, i got pissed. It would be cool if i could run mac os x mobile it would be so cool. not only that but i would bet a million dollars os x would run at least twice as fast as windows automotive. If anyone has some info please send me a message.

Grow up man. No OS is right for every circumstance. Do not throw in the ignorant response of Windows security (like it matters anyway, what are you magically going to get some virus from the Internet through your car? Oh, and Bluetooth, it's an unsecure technology anyway, regardless of OS). And no, your speed wouldn't be all that different. Windows Automotive and the full release of Windows are so disparate they're like different OS's. Please think before you fire off the cuff about stuff you don't fully understand.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7148748849652085555