AVIC411.com

AVIC D3 is here

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a recent D2 owner, I wonder how many of the D3 upgrades will be available via a software update? For instance, will the newer maps be backwards compatible? How about the iPod interface improvements?

Actually, those are the only two I can concerned about. Give me those two and I'm happy.

Ipod interface improvements, probably not. None of the n3 improvements were available for the n1/n2.

hmm, what do u mean by no n3 improvements were avialable? i upgraded my n1 -> n3 via updated discs. it updated the user interface, menus loaded faster, and had small updated features like which lane to stay in when anticipating an exit.

The maps will be upgradable. The ipod functionality will not because the D3 uses an ipod "full speed" cable similar to Alpines, and will transfer video from video ipods

As a recent D2 owner, I wonder how many of the D3 upgrades will be available via a software update? For instance, will the newer maps be backwards compatible? How about the iPod interface improvements?

Actually, those are the only two I can concerned about. Give me those two and I'm happy.

Ipod interface improvements, probably not. None of the n3 improvements were available for the n1/n2.

hmm, what do u mean by no n3 improvements were avialable? i upgraded my n1 -> n3 via updated discs. it updated the user interface, menus loaded faster, and had small updated features like which lane to stay in when anticipating an exit.

I meant none of the n3 ipod improvements work on the n1/2.

The 3d views like the Z1 were available on the D2 software in cities that they called "detailed metro mapping." I think there were like 50 cities or something like that so I bet the D3 has that many, maybe more

Anyone know if the maps will be like the D2 (overhead only) or like the Z1 (1st person view)? Any graphical displays when music is playing? Hopefully someone went to CES and played with one.

okay went to CES, and got to play with a AVIC-D3.

Why is it inferior to the D1, and D2

-Slot loading DVD in front, the navigation does not slide out anymore to insert the navigation DVD.

-Can only load 1 optical medium at a time. You have a music CD? you want to navigate? Tough luck. Take out your music CD, put in your navigation DVD, Input your routes, let it load, then take out your navi DVD, and put in your CD and continue going. There is ONLY 1 DRIVE.

-No Tilt Function

-Smaller Navigation Screen

Why is it Superior to the D1 or D2?

-More colors on the LCD

-cheaper, Pioneer says MSRP should be 999

-Awesome IPOD interface

-Wireless Bluetooth Stream

-USB adapter same way as the IPod Connector.

-front slot loading DVD, and can play mp3 DVD's... maybe double layers too...

-NO MORE BLUE LED's unless you want it to.

D3 also has DVD Video Playback with DivX support/decoder and RGB button colors (can make the buttons light up any color you wish to match any car's stock interior lighting colors), new black graphical menu interface...

Overall, it's an upgrade in my opinion for the lower retail value of $1000.

And it has a memory function like the N3 so you can store your route, and still receive navigation while listening to a CD.

avicd32.jpg

I just hope the buttons have a better tactile feel than the D1 and D2. That's the main reason why I never got the D2. The Z1 was just too expensive. So I have the S1.

The D3-- I hope the buttons have a nice feel to them.

IMO, the only things that seems to be inferior are:

1. N3-like operation of CD/DVD slot (I have an Ipod for music)

2. 1/2" smaller diagonal screen-- no biggy.

The tilt function & slide down screen adds complexity and thus additional costs.

the knob-- is that volume control also? -- if so, that is another benefit--- some people, including me prefer turning a knob for volume adjustment.

Looking at the price point-- I'll get one and leave the S1 for business travel use. Of course I'll wait until after the initial rush

The nav disc will load your chosen route (say, a 60 mile trek home from grandma's house) into the memory, right? O.K. But on the way home you hit too much traffic on the freeway and decide to use the surface roads which will add 20 miles to your route home. Will you need to reinsert the Nav DVD for this change, or will there be enough maps info in the memory to handle the route change?