AVIC411.com

x920bt backup camera question

Hey guys,

I have the X920BT bypassed and I have a BOYO backup camera attached to this unit. A week ago I found a video on youtube showing that I can have the backup camera on while driving. I think I also saw a thread here too, but can't seem to recall the title.

I just went to my local installer to ask about this and he told me that he would have to change the wiring around so that I can control the camera manually. However, he said if I do this, I will lose the ability of having the camera auto turn on when I put the car in reverse.

What can the installer do to allow the automatic ability, but also add in a manual ability of turning on the camera? He mentioned that because the unit is bypassed, he would have to take out the bypass for me to get the camera to work this way.

Thanks!

Your installer is completely full of crap and you should fire him and go somewhere else. If he told you this he doesn't know what he is doing. Don't have him work on your car again. You can do what you want and it is very simple. Its even in the damn install instructions for both the unit and the camera. Any installer worth his weight will know how to do this.

Yeah, in settings just change view mode to rear view.

I know how to turn it on (i have it on my shortcuts), but it's "BLACK" right now because the power is only on when I am in reverse.

What is a good switch I can use? Thanks!

@VBlue - Would you happen to know what page in the manual? I read most of it and don't recall it saying how I can connect the backup camera a different way, so that I can have the camera turn on whenever. Thanks

I just don't want to lose the automatic ability of the camera.

I just checked both the X920BT manual (online manual) and the BOYO VTL-425 camera manual. THe camer manual has only the installation pictures and nothing else. The X920BT manual doesn't tell me how I can connect the camera.

The only thing I see in the X920 manual is something about the "POLARITY", which I can change, but I do not believe that is what I will need to do. What page are you talking about VBLUE?

We just went through this at my shop and here is what you have to do. The reason you are getting a black screen when you manually turn on the backup cam screen or switch it in the view mode is whoever installed the rear view camera has wired it for power from the backup lights therefore it has no power unless you are in reverse. Change the cameras power source to a acc power that way the camera has power whenever the key is on and therfore will work anytime you manually switch or change the view mode. Jason had it right, I just added some details! Hope this helps make it more clear for you......

Thanks, that reply is very helpful. The installer said it can be done, but he just said i'll lose the "automatic" ability when I go into reverse. This means I will have to turn on the camera manually every single time. The installer said he did this before on his older unit and changed it back because he wanted the automatic ability when the gear is set into reverse.

He also said because I have this bypassed, I would have to lose the bypass mode or something. He may be wrong or may not be. I just want to make sure. Thanks you guys.