AVIC411.com

x920bt backup camera question

At the risk of sounding redundant, you should look for another installer b/c you do not need a switch nor should you have to give up the bypass to accomplish what you're trying to do. I have the same setup as you, installed everything myself and have no issues with the camera. Here's what you need to do:

Camera Power: Connect this to switched power, this way the camera is always on when the car is on; now when you switch your nav view to "rear" you will get the camera feed.

Avic Reverse Input: Connect this to the car's reverse signal wire. All this does is tell the Avic that you're in reverse and switches the input to the rear cam.....hence no manual switch needed.

Video Cable: this should be obvious.

None of these connections have anything to do with the bypass, so I'm not sure why your installer thinks you have to give up the bypass.....again, you're best bet is to get another installer.

Hope this helps.

You dont lose anything and bypass still works fine. Worked fine on cars we did. As long as you still have reverse wire hooked up to reverse lights then the automatic backup cam will still work, you just have to keep your deck on Pos+ trig for back up cam and make sure you are swithching 12v through your manual switch. The only problem you will have at this point is your backup lights will come on when you turn on switch. Here is how you can fix that! You will need to use a relay and put 12V IGN to post 86 & 87. Connect 85 to one side of your manual switch and the other end of the switch to ground. Take your wire comeing from your backup lights that is going to your reverse trigger wire and cut it, then connect the side going to the backup lights to 87a and connect the side going to the deck to 30. Now when you switch your manual switch (with backup cam wired to IGN) the deck will see the 12V propting the backup cam screen but backup lights see nothing. When switch is off everything works normal. This can also be done by installing a one way power diode in the line to the backup lights beyond the point that you have tapped in with your switch but relay is my preferance. A reputable shop should know how to do stuff like this and I am always bothered by people that say "it cant be done" or "wont work". I believe if you dont know then just say so! Your installer may be a good one if he does good work and doesn't mess up your car so not saying he's no good but maybe he still is learning and should rething the way he answers questions he is unsure or uneducated about. LOL. If you need any more clarification let me know.

Other member is right, you do not need a switch but we have installed the switch in several applications because it is faster, easier, and more convienient than going in and changing your view mode. Example, we have done several systems for a local tow truck company and they like and prefer the quick and easy method of just flipping the switch. Especially when you need it in a hurry. So I feel it is more convienient to do it this way but other member is correct, it is Not neccassary....