AVIC411.com

AVIC-X930BT won't play any video files

I have converted a 3min movie with different bitrates and video formats to get see which one is more sutable with quality for media playback, I want to avoid using the dvd player and running everything from an external 500gb hdd.

First I formatted the HDD to FAT32 which gives me the 4gb per file limitation, I can live with that.

The problem is, no video I encoded works; mp4, avi, .divx, wmv, .h264 all error out.

The unit is either skipping media, no media found or resolution errors.

Has anyone been able to get any video files working from usb?

I am using TMPGEnc Express to convert the videos so I have numerous settings I can work with.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks, I am aware of the guidelines and have encoded the video according to those specs. I still get errors. I am starting to regret the purchase of this unit. The limitations on the video playback are amazing, even when encoding it with their required specs they still don't work!

I can get the clip to work and I used handbrake to replicate your encoding. The issue still needs to be resolved on pioneers side. What kind of crappy video limitations are we facing, I want to have decent videos encoded and played via usb without so many constraints. Why even offer USB when you can't even stream the divx with higher bitrate! I'm returning this piece of junk.

• 1 month later...

I can get your video to work as well, but can not get my own to work. Is there any way you can take a SS of your settings in handbreak? I set up my settings to what the manual has as recommended. Any help is appreciated.

I just used the iPhone/iPod Touch preset.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, since I received virtually no help on getting this to work, I finally had some time at work on Friday to figure this out. I was not able to get any videos to play even though I had the right formatting (H.264 Codec) with iPhone & iPod Touch Preset.

In order to get videos to play, I adjusted the picture size to 320 x 176 with the above settings. After doing this, all of my videos are playable. I am still playing around with different sizes to see what the max is. I hope this helps anyone that is still stuck and looking for help to get videos to play..:)

Well, since I received virtually no help on getting this to work, I finally had some time at work on Friday to figure this out. I was not able to get any videos to play even though I had the right formatting (H.264 Codec) with iPhone & iPod Touch Preset.

In order to get videos to play, I adjusted the picture size to 320 x 176 with the above settings. After doing this, all of my videos are playable. I am still playing around with different sizes to see what the max is. I hope this helps anyone that is still stuck and looking for help to get videos to play..:)

Thanks!

I tried this and can confirm movies encoded with the above settings work. That being said, I tried converting a home-movie to 320x240 and nogo, with all the other settings the same.

Curiously enough, when I first copied some video files over of mixed formats it was able to play only one I copied over at 624x352 and 23fps (1003kbps). What is strange is it was an entire season all encoded with the same format so I'm not sure why that particular file was able to play while the others were not. Comparing the two the only difference is in the bitrate and total bitrate, the one that works was at 1003kbps and the rest that failed were above that (1104, 1081, 1063 kbps). The manual says the max bitrate the device supports is 1Mbps, so that'd be 1024 which makes sense.

I'd like to also nail this down to some other spec than what is listed above because that is pretty crap quality.

Cheers

A

EDIT: I checked the home-movie I converted and the average bitrate was well exceeding 1024 kbps.. I'd imagine that is the parameter that is most crucial in determining if these files play.

• 5 months later...

Hey guys.

Just signed up here to let you all know this. I was killin myself trying to get this to work. 300x150 pixels just wasn't going to cut it for me and I finally figured out why the HandBrake settings weren't working for us.

The default "Video Codec" using "iPhone & iPod Touch" presets is set to H264. Although the deck can decompress h264 it's not nearly as good at it apparently as it is with the straight MP4 codec. There is a drop-down menu (I'll attach a screenshot, area highlighted in yellow) to change this. After ten or so attempts with different settings, and only getting stupid small frame sizes to work, I made that change and that's all it took. Good to 640 x 480 like the manual says.

PS: Doing this changes the preset from "iPhone & iPod Touch" to "custom" which isn't saved in HandBrake. Click the little plus sign that I highlighted in Red to save your custom "Pioneer" setting for the next time.

post-57553-0-90823000-1321423384_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...