AVIC411.com

pioneer avic z130bt and droid

Hello, I am looking to buy the pioneer avic z130bt for my 2006 Nissan Pathfinder. The only problem I am worried about is if I buy unit and it does not work with the android os system? I talked with pioneer but they said they did not have a phone capability list for the unit. Does anyone know if it will work? Bluetooth streaming music, syncing contacts, Pandora, ect? Does it work with the older models like the incredible and the x or the newer models like the thunderbolt or all of them? If you have any info that would greatly help.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, I am looking to buy the pioneer avic z130bt for my 2006 Nissan Pathfinder. The only problem I am worried about is if I buy unit and it does not work with the android os system? I talked with pioneer but they said they did not have a phone capability list for the unit. Does anyone know if it will work? Bluetooth streaming music, syncing contacts, Pandora, ect? Does it work with the older models like the incredible and the x or the newer models like the thunderbolt or all of them? If you have any info that would greatly help.

Android phones work fine. Contacts transfer, voice dialing, streaming audio. The built-in Pandora app only works with iPhones, but you can stream the audio over BT.

The only Android issue I am aware of is the inability to display MP3 tags and control the playback from the AVIC. However, this is an Android problem, not the HU. Apparently current Android releaes do not support AVRCP (neither does iPhone). It works find on Windows 6.5 and 7 phones.

Android phones work fine. Contacts transfer, voice dialing, streaming audio. The built-in Pandora app only works with iPhones, but you can stream the audio over BT.

The only Android issue I am aware of is the inability to display MP3 tags and control the playback from the AVIC. However, this is an Android problem, not the HU. Apparently current Android releaes do not support AVRCP (neither does iPhone). It works find on Windows 6.5 and 7 phones.

I don't know where you get your infomation from but when i sync my phone and my z120 via Bluetooth, I do see what songs are playing and i am able to fast forward, rewind, change tracks, pause and play when i use my Bluetooth connection. If you can't it has nothing to do with the android operating system it has to do with the phone's hardware, the Bluetooth chip in the phone doesn't support it. and as far as i understand AVRCP was added to the Android OS version 1.5. So if you are having issues with android it is your phone not Android its self. I don't know about other manufacturers but HTCs phones do support those functions.

I don't know where you get your infomation from but when i sync my phone and my z120 via Bluetooth, I do see what songs are playing and i am able to fast forward, rewind, change tracks, pause and play when i use my Bluetooth connection. If you can't it has nothing to do with the android operating system it has to do with the phone's hardware, the Bluetooth chip in the phone doesn't support it. and as far as i understand AVRCP was added to the Android OS version 1.5. So if you are having issues with android it is your phone not Android its self. I don't know about other manufacturers but HTCs phones do support those functions.

Nothing to do with syncing the phone. And we are talking about control via the HU, right? Just want to be sure we are talking about the same issue. BTW, it requires AVRCP 1.3 or higher.

Simply google "AVRCP android" and you will see lots of complaints about lack of support for ID3 tags and playback control. Even in Gingerbread. And it is not a hardware issue. I have an HTC HD2, which originally came with WM6.5. It worked fine for AVRCP (although, being WM, it had lots of other issues). I have tried dozens of ports of Android, all > 2.0. None has worked correctly re. BT ID tags or control. It is possible that it is a driver issue with these ported OS's,. That is why I googled the above and assumed it was a common issue. There might have been some releases with a hack/patch (which supposedly was available in 2008), and it possibly is not an OS issue as much as the media player support.

I'm glad your's works. So, what model HTC phone do you have, and what app are you using to playback? I'm sure that those who think this is an important feature would like to know.

I only mention this because it is a known issue. I don't really care about this feature since I play my music/video through my iTouch. I do stream internet audio from the HD2 over BT, and have very few issues (that matter to me) with the BT stack. More importantly, Android's TCP/IP stack seems more robust that WM6.5 in its ability to recover from errors and intermittant wireless signal dropouts.

Nothing to do with syncing the phone. And we are talking about control via the HU, right? Just want to be sure we are talking about the same issue. BTW, it requires AVRCP 1.3 or higher.

Simply google "AVRCP android" and you will see lots of complaints about lack of support for ID3 tags and playback control. Even in Gingerbread. And it is not a hardware issue. I have an HTC HD2, which originally came with WM6.5. It worked fine for AVRCP (although, being WM, it had lots of other issues). I have tried dozens of ports of Android, all > 2.0. None has worked correctly re. BT ID tags or control. It is possible that it is a driver issue with these ported OS's,. That is why I googled the above and assumed it was a common issue. There might have been some releases with a hack/patch (which supposedly was available in 2008), and it possibly is not an OS issue as much as the media player support.

I'm glad your's works. So, what model HTC phone do you have, and what app are you using to playback? I'm sure that those who think this is an important feature would like to know.

I only mention this because it is a known issue. I don't really care about this feature since I play my music/video through my iTouch. I do stream internet audio from the HD2 over BT, and have very few issues (that matter to me) with the BT stack. More importantly, Android's TCP/IP stack seems more robust that WM6.5 in its ability to recover from errors and intermittant wireless signal dropouts.

I have the HTC EVO shift and it also worked with my friends HTC phone, i wanna say Hero but i think its a different phone. And yes i we are talking about the same thing when i connect via Bluetooth and in the media menu and i select Bluetooth as my source i can control what song is playing and it shows what song is playing. the HTCs media player, i can't seem to get the controls to work with any other media player. Maybe HTC added the slack into their phones so you can use the media controls, HTC does a very good job in tweaking Android for there phones, in my opinion HTC makes some of the nicest widgets and apps for android, but you know what they say about opinions. I understand what you mean about the AVRCP. Media controls were not add until version 1.3 and android officially doesn't support version 1.3 yet. Maybe I should look into why my phone is able to do it.

From what i know there is no way to connect an android phone to z120 through USB and i can't transfer video through Bluetooth, so as far as i know there is no way to watch netflix through an android phone and the z120. you can watch the video on your phone and play the sounds through your radio but i don't think that is what you are talking about.

If I wanted to hook up my video camera or something of that sort to the unit how could I do that? Does the unit have audio and video inputs?

Chino,

You should probably start a new thread rather than change the subject of this one. I guess technically you can't hijack a thread that you started, but it helps others later when they are searching for similar answers.

The Z130 has very similar hardware features and capabilities as the Z110/Z120. Here are the Specs http://www.pioneerel...igation.Support

You can also download the users manual for the Z130. Unfortunately, Pioneer hasn't posted the installation manual for it, but you can get the one for the Z120. That should give you an idea of the inputs. Just be aware, there are some physical differences between the Z110/Z120 and the Z130. But the basic idea is very similar.

Anyway, that would be a good place to start learning about these units

Chino,

You should probably start a new thread rather than change the subject of this one. I guess technically you can't hijack a thread that you started, but it helps others later when they are searching for similar answers.

The Z130 has very similar hardware features and capabilities as the Z110/Z120. Here are the Specs http://www.pioneerel...igation.Support

You can also download the users manual for the Z130. Unfortunately, Pioneer hasn't posted the installation manual for it, but you can get the one for the Z120. That should give you an idea of the inputs. Just be aware, there are some physical differences between the Z110/Z120 and the Z130. But the basic idea is very similar.

Anyway, that would be a good place to start learning about these units

Sorry about that, yes I will definitely start a new one every time. Thank you all for your answers

Sorry about that, yes I will definitely start a new one every time. Thank you all for your answers

No problem, and I'm not suggesting a new thread for every question. Often, you'll find an existing thread which addresses the subject of your question. You can post it there if it doesn't lead that thread in a totally different direction. Or, if you want to have a general dialog about several related subjects, just start a new one with a generic subject title, like "Z130 questions" or whatever. That just makes it easier for mods to keep this great site tidy and organized over the years.

• 1 month later...

I just bought a Pioneer AVIC Z130BT. I have an EVO 4G on Sprint. The phone will connect to the Z and all functions except voice dialing from the contact list work fine. I can stream Pandora from the phone headset jack, but cannot control any functions from the HU. The voice recognition for dialing from the contact list is useless. It will not recognize any names and either asks you to repeat or offers totally unrelated options. I updated to Gingerbread yesterday and the problem is worse. I uninstalled and re-installed Google Voice and Google Voice search to make sure I had the latest version to no avail. The people at Parrot Bluetooth told me that the problem was because Android had such a poor voice recognition engine. I have spoken with HTC and Pioneer also and no one seems to be able to offer a solution. Just something to think about.

I just bought a Pioneer AVIC Z130BT. I have an EVO 4G on Sprint. The phone will connect to the Z and all functions except voice dialing from the contact list work fine. I can stream Pandora from the phone headset jack, but cannot control any functions from the HU. The voice recognition for dialing from the contact list is useless. It will not recognize any names and either asks you to repeat or offers totally unrelated options. I updated to Gingerbread yesterday and the problem is worse. I uninstalled and re-installed Google Voice and Google Voice search to make sure I had the latest version to no avail. The people at Parrot Bluetooth told me that the problem was because Android had such a poor voice recognition engine. I have spoken with HTC and Pioneer also and no one seems to be able to offer a solution. Just something to think about.

I have a hacked HTC HD2 and I have been running many versions of Android over the last 6 months. I have never had a problem with VR for either dialing or ipod. Sounds like your problem is with the mic or placement of the mic. It isn't an Android issue. And it is not a Blue Tooth issue.

However, make sure that the HU has downloaded your contact list from the phone. Immediately after pairing, the phone should prompt you, asking if it is OK for the HU to access the contacts. I think there also is a box indicating that the HU is always to be allowed access. I've noticed that sometimes this prompt does not come to the foreground. Instead, it is an alert (like a pending text message or missed call) indicated by some icon in the upper left corner of the phone. So, you may have to quickly look for it. It will time-out if not acknowledged. If not acknowledged, the contact list may not be transferred to the AVIC. Then VR dialing will behave as you described.

There are some things that don't seem to be supported yet under Android (or Android apps). AVRCP 1.3 seems lacking. The AVIC won't display MP3 ID3 tags from some Android phones. You can't pause/rewind/ff the phone's Player. These things work correctly Ion Win Mobil 6.5, but only on some Android phones.

I have a hacked HTC HD2 and I have been running many versions of Android over the last 6 months. I have never had a problem with VR for either dialing or ipod. Sounds like your problem is with the mic or placement of the mic. It isn't an Android issue. And it is not a Blue Tooth issue.

However, make sure that the HU has downloaded your contact list from the phone. Immediately after pairing, the phone should prompt you, asking if it is OK for the HU to access the contacts. I think there also is a box indicating that the HU is always to be allowed access. I've noticed that sometimes this prompt does not come to the foreground. Instead, it is an alert (like a pending text message or missed call) indicated by some icon in the upper left corner of the phone. So, you may have to quickly look for it. It will time-out if not acknowledged. If not acknowledged, the contact list may not be transferred to the AVIC. Then VR dialing will behave as you described.

There are some things that don't seem to be supported yet under Android (or Android apps). AVRCP 1.3 seems lacking. The AVIC won't display MP3 ID3 tags from some Android phones. You can't pause/rewind/ff the phone's Player. These things work correctly Ion Win Mobil 6.5, but only on some Android phones.

The microphone works fine on all voice applications except dialing from contacts. I have checked the always accept box on the pairing. It does not ask for permission to download contacts but downloads them automatically. Also sometimes it does not download the full list, but if I turn the key off and back on, it loads the full list the second time. I download choice dialer + from the market and it is a little better. but it still only recognizes some contacts.