AVIC411.com

X920BT Wont go into night mode

Is it possible to switch between night and day mode when the illumination wire is not hooked up? Because I haven't found a way to do so.

I installed the unit on a 2000 Tundra and got some mixed opinions on whether or not I should hook up the illumination wire, so I didn't, but now I don't even have a way to manually change the unit from day display to night display.

Please advise.

Dan

Uhhh...mixed opinions? The sole purpose of the illumination wire is to switch to day/night mode.

Yes, some said the tundra doesn't have a true dimmer wire, so I didn't hook it up.

But there is a shortcut button you can add to your navi map and when I press the day/night shortcut button nothing happens. Also when I try to go into the settings there is not an option to set the screen to night mode. Only a setting for daylight and automatic.

you should always hook up the Illum wire, the reason most people think that it is a bad idea, is because they usually hook it up to the wrong wire(negative dimmer, instead of illum)

older avic's would use the time of day to decide when to switch to night time mode and then just dim the screen based on the signal going to the illum wire, now it seems that it is all or nothing on the illum wire

• 2 weeks later...

you should always hook up the Illum wire, the reason most people think that it is a bad idea, is because they usually hook it up to the wrong wire(negative dimmer, instead of illum)

older avic's would use the time of day to decide when to switch to night time mode and then just dim the screen based on the signal going to the illum wire, now it seems that it is all or nothing on the illum wire

I have the same problem, installer didn't connect the illum wire so now I am in Day mode all the time.... Will have to get that fixed! This post really helped me figure it out. Still wish Pioneer would give me the option to use time of day or at least the option to select "Night" in the settings (currently only shows "Automatic" or "Day" options.

I have the same problem, installer didn't connect the illum wire so now I am in Day mode all the time.... Will have to get that fixed! This post really helped me figure it out. Still wish Pioneer would give me the option to use time of day or at least the option to select "Night" in the settings (currently only shows "Automatic" or "Day" options.

i agree, especially since it getting a lot harder to find in newer cars

Would tapping into one of the wires for the C6 Corvette Interior Dash Automatic Light Sensor on the dashboard?

Tap into the grey wire on the traction control switch. Since you have the console off anyway for the install, it is very easy to get to. You'll have to strip back some of the protective black wrap to get to it though. This is what others are doing with C6's, and what I did and it works fine. Visit the corvetteforum.com and do a search if you want more info.

Would tapping into one of the wires for the C6 Corvette Interior Dash Automatic Light Sensor on the dashboard?

no, light sensors send signals to the computers to tell it if the lights need to be on, the AVIC need to see an actual power supply for a light bulb.