AVIC411.com

Maps...Have they updated them?

I have a Z120 and the maps suck. They do not show street names, even my housing tract built in 2006 does not show up.

Now that the Z130 has nav traffic, have they made any progress with the maps???

At this point I need to by a $99 Garmin to replace my $1,500 Pioneer "navigation" unit!

I have a Z120 and the maps suck. They do not show street names, even my housing tract built in 2006 does not show up.

Now that the Z130 has nav traffic, have they made any progress with the maps???

At this point I need to by a $99 Garmin to replace my $1,500 Pioneer "navigation" unit!

Try zooming in more. Often minor streets don't show-up unless you are zoomed-in to 1/4 mile or less. Apparently they are in the map data, just not displayed.

As far as my neighborhood is concerned, it simply does not exist in the map. I have tried to zoom in, but I still only get major streets.

This may not solve you problem, but just as RonS said, sometimes you do need to zoom in order to see the smaller streets, and may need to zoom in more to see those smaller streets' names.

However, since your neighborhood does not seem to be in the map data at all, no amount of zooming is going to change that. all you can do is report the missing streets to Tele Atlas. They are the company that provides the map data to Pioneer and many other navigation manufaturers. Garmin uses NAVTEQ which is the reason it shows up on the Garmin and not on the Pioneer. Not that NAVTEQ is necessarily better than Tele Atlas, but they both collect and distribute map data and NAVTEQ may have just gotten feedback on your neighborhood that Tele Atlas did not. http://mapinsight.teleatlas.com/mapfeedback/index.php

Take a closer look at that website. You should check out the map on their website to see if perhaps your neighborhood is list in their most current data. if so, you do not need to report anything because they have already fixed the error. this will also LIKELY mean that the newest Pioneer update will have that data on there.

As far as reporting the errors to Tele Atlas, I wouldn't hold my breath that they'll correct it in a timely manner. A little more than a year ago I went to their website to report some errors (like you, my neighborhood is about 6 years old and my entire street doesn't exist on their map). I just checked their map and it still can't find my address. I went back to check the error reporting status and it still shows the same thing it showed a year ago - that they're working on it but the work hasn't been completed. Frustrating!

They likely have a backlog of a couple of years so thats probably how long it will take to see a correction. Even the the maps in these units will be a year behind. Also the low quality and issues of the 110/120 series of units has been no secret for a while so I wouldn't expect this "new" unit to be any better. They simply are about the worst in-dash navis available when compared to other units in their class.

They simply are about the worst in-dash navis available when compared to other units in their class.

I wouldn't go that far...some have better maps, but all the other ones I've seen have TERRIBLE AV interfaces and GUI's in general, especially the Sony ones.

Im merely speaking of the navi portion. Clearly no one can touch the AV interface of the AVICs but they have had better navi in just about every other unit. Take that of the F series, as problematic as those things were, the navi was awesome. How do you take a step back from the disaster of the F series and call it a flagship unit?

I wouldn't go that far...some have better maps, but all the other ones I've seen have TERRIBLE AV interfaces and GUI's in general, especially the Sony ones.

they dont create the navi system. They dont write the code for it. So to point the finger at only pioneer isnt fair. As for the nav I really like it. Im not a big fan of garmin or tom tom but I would really only say kenwood unit has better nav because they use garmin every other unit the actual nav interface is shitty

I keep hearing that the new X series and Z series are WORST than the F series? I had a f90bt about a year ago and sold it when i sold my car and i loved it. Only problem i had was it didnt always reconize my voice for making a phone call. It was great at picking a source or album on my ipod by voice. I am in the process of looking for a x920bt or z120bt. So pioneer took steps back in comparison to the F series?

I keep hearing that the new X series and Z series are WORST than the F series? I had a f90bt about a year ago and sold it when i sold my car and i loved it. Only problem i had was it didnt always reconize my voice for making a phone call. It was great at picking a source or album on my ipod by voice. I am in the process of looking for a x920bt or z120bt. So pioneer took steps back in comparison to the F series?

Overall the new X and Z units are MUCH MUCH MUCH better than the old F series. Hands down, no comparison. However, the F series, and the X910 had a different navigation interface that some people prefer over the new one. Inlcude me in this group. I have an X910 and use a Z120 a lot while at work and I like the navigation one the X better. But, when it comes to speed, reliability, features, etc...the new X and the Z take the cake.