AVIC411.com

Frustrated with Z2 installation

Well it's been a couple weeks now since the unit first went in. I bought this used and have been reading and reading and reading about the install and feel I have a pretty good understanding of it all. I still can't get some items hooked up correctly so I'm hoping I can get some help.

Issue 1 - VSS wire - In my trailblazer there is a dark green/white wire going in to B9 of the instrument cluster plug. I tapped into this wire for the VSS wire on the Z2. What's the best way to check to see if this is working? I went in to the menu that shows GPS signal strength, parking brake status and at the top has "speed pulse". I'm assuming this number should go up as the vehicle speeds up? It stays at zero.

Issue 2 - E-brake connection - I am trying to do the relay bypass. Terminals 87 and 85 are grounded, 86 is the remote turn on (Z2 is set to power for remote accessories), 30 is the light green wire from the power connector which is the E-brake signal and 87a is not used. When the truck is turned on I still get an error that says there is an incorrect connection for the parking brake and I can't watch videos while in motion. When I go to the menu that shows the status of the parking brake it says "on".

Issue 3 - SWI-PS connection - I'm using this to try and use my steering wheel controls. I found the wire in my steering wheel wiring harness and tapped into it. The problem is, I don't know where to plug in the 3.5mm plug?! There's no port on the back of the Z2 and the OS-2BOSE harness I'm using has nothing. Ideas?

Issue 4 - NAV Arrow pointed wrong way - When I'm driving the arrow that shows your location is NEVER pointing in the direction of travel. Say I'm traveling north, the arrow will move along the road correctly but will not be pointed in the direction of travel. This is extremely annoying since it makes it hard to see what's coming up and it also pulls up the names of streets you pass since it thinks it's getting ready to travel down them.

Issue 1 - Yes the speed pulse number will increase the faster you drive. If it stays at ZERO, then it is not connected correctly.

Issue 2 - What is the 'relay' bypass? You need to do the "2 wire bypass". Instructions are in the hacks section sticky post.

Issue 3 - The 3.5mm plug is on the same harness as the backup camera input. Check your harness, not the back of the Z.

Issue 4 - Reset the 3D calibration settings after you connect the VSS, and this should fix the issue. You can also manually adjust your position and rotate the arrow in the correct direction of travel.

Thank you! I think the splice connector I used on the VSS wire might not have made a good connection. I'll have to look into the 2 wire bypass. I did the relay bypass that uses the remote wire to trigger a relay to ground the e-brake wire.

I still need to trim a little more of some plastic inside the dash for the rear of the headunit to fit better so I'm going to check into these things while I have it out today on lunch break.

• 11 months later...

HI, I had my AVIC Z2 (upgraded to Z3) installed in my 2006 Mini cooper.

Issue #1 -The GPS is way off and the installer said this car does not have a speed pulse wire\generator. He said he is going to order me a speed pulse generator to fix this issue, but from what I have read on this forum I think my car might have one. Does anyone know for sure?

Issue #2 - I still get the parking brake connected incorrectly warning on system start up, the installer said they have done the bypass and I can get the DVD and NAV controls to work when the car is moving. I know that this warning did not come on when it was was in my infinity before.

FYI: I paid $1500.00 for this install which did require redoing the dash, building a custom amp enclosure and sub box for the Mini. I SO want this to work correctly after all the time and money expended.

Thanks for any advise, Dan in Scottsdale, AZ.

Issue #1. As a temporary fix, reset the 3D calibration. The unit is calibrated to your Infinity. This will help so that it won't be way off.

Issue #2. The 2nd wire (mute wire moved) is not properly connected (this is the ONLY reason you would get the parking break error). It probably pulled loose from the connector at the back of the Z.