AVIC411.com

NEW USER FAQ

5 members have voted

1. 1. Was this FAQ helpful?

UPDATED 05/24/2011

New AVIC F-Series Owner FAQ

Note: I'm compiling this FAQ because I myself am a new owner and want to accumulate the data for my own questions in one place.

Q01.) What are some software-related issues or complaints I should be aware of as a new owner?

A.) AVIC411 members with units running firmware prior to 2.00 have reported the unit to be extremely slow. If you feel your unit's responsiveness is slow, check your firmware version. Main Menu -> System Settings -> Version Information, Look at "Application Version". For Firmware update information, see Q07 through Q09. (Credit - Pioneer Owner's Manual).

Q02.) What are some hardware-related issues or complaints I should be aware of as a new owner?

A.) Some Pioneer headunits suffer from "pico fuse" issues, where a tiny surface-mount fuse inside the unit blows and is not meant to be user-serviceable. There are workarounds, however (See Q05)

Q03.) What hardware/software add-ons and modifications ('mods') are common amongst AVIC users?

A.) Firmware updates are the most common modifications. Find Firmware information below. Click HERE for a list of mods.

(Credit - Skicrave)

B.) Parking Break (pb) Bypass is also common. This allows you to watch video while you drive. Find the original info on the bypass by clicking HERE. Looking for pictures of the harness before and after? Click HERE.

- If you get a warning after performing the bypass that the parking break isn't properly applied, make sure the yellow cable is snug in its new position on the harness.

Q04.) I bought my AVIC used, will I be eligible for any remaining warranty?

A.) No

(Credit - JasonH / Source - Pioneer Warranty Information)

Q05.) Some Pioneer headunits are plagued with pico fuses blowing and the pre-amp sound quality going out the window. Will I be affected by this in the future?

A.) You could be, but luckily, there are fixes:

- DISCLAIMER- Any servicing performed to a Pioneer unit that's not done by an authorized Pioneer repair center will void your warranty!

- Click HERE for a brief picture overview of the disassembly of an AVIC F700. The procedure is similar, just open the unit, find the pico fuse, and repair by putting a solder blob over the pico fuse to link the connections.

- There are more detailed How-To's HERE and HERE

- If your pico fuse blows, a good idea is to solder a wire to each end of the fuse and run the wires outside the unit, where you can install an external 1A fuse between the ends of the two wires. This completes the circuit again, while still providing the protection of a fused pathway. (source link here)

Q06.) I don't feel comfortable fixing hardware issues myself, or I have a problem that requires servicing by a professional, who should I contact?

A.) Pioneer is really the only place that does extensive repairs, but you're welcome to buy the parts at http://parts.pioneerelectronics.com

(Credit - JasonH & members that have needed their AVICs serviced)

Q07.) Prior to updating or software-modding my AVIC, what precautionary measures should I take?

A.) BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP!!

(Credit - JasonH / Click HERE for backup instructions)

Q08.) If a firmware update fails, will my unit become a brick? If so, what are the steps I can take, if any, to unbrick it?

A.) It might, but you should be able to restore from a backup.

(Credit - Jason)

- Current OFFICIAL Pioneer F900BT / F90BT / F700BT / 7010BT release - 2.0080 - Click HERE for Official Update Instructions. Remember to make a backup!

- Current MODDED release - Retell's FX3.1 (3.02) update - Click HERE for the update thread. Remember to make a backup!

- If the torrent listed in Retell's thread isn't working correctly, right-click HERE, click "Save File As", and save it accordingly. Please SEED the file using your torrent application afterward, as downloading from my web host takes away from my monthly bandwidth limit. Thanks - RADRaze2KX

Q09.) How can I tell if my unit is a "brick"?

A.) It will either not boot, reboot loop, or rarely do other not very good things.

(Credit - JasonH & members that got bricked)

Q10.) I see "POI" all over the place. What does it stand for?

A.) Points of Interest, in reference to the AVIC navigation system.

Q11.) What are the best 1:1 dimensions for a custom background for my unit?

A.) F90BT/F900BT = 800w x 480h - Click HERE for a tutorial on making a background for these units.

A.) AVIC D1 / D2 = 500w x 240h - Click HERE for a tutorial on making a background for these units.

Q.) Additional Questions

A.) Additional Answers

Q.) I bought my AVIC used, will I be eligible for any remaining warranty? If so, how can I find out if there IS a warranty?

A.) No.

Q.) If I have a problem that requires servicing by a professional, who should I contact?

A.) Pioneer is really the only place that does extensive repairs, but you're welcome to buy the parts at parts.pioneerelectronics.com

Q.) Prior to updating my AVIC, what precautionary measures should I use

A.) BACKUP BACKUP BACKUP

Q.) How can I tell if my unit is a "brick"?

A.) It will either not boot, reboot loop, or rarely do other not very good things.

Q.) If the FX3.1 (3.02) update fails, will my unit become a brick? If so, what are the steps I can take, if any, to unbrick it?

A.) Restore from backup.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...