AVIC411.com

i really need help with day/night mode.

hey guys,

I just purchased my X920BT and got it professionally installed at a shop near where i live but for some reason, i cannot get it to change from day to night mode. I got it installed in my 2008 BMW 328xi which has auto headlight but i dont think it should be connected to the headlight. when i had the unit installed in my 07 subaru STi, which DIDNT have auto headlights, it went to day and night mode automatically without any problems. so, i know it's not the head light that will change this. can someone plese help me as to WHERE i need to hook up WHAT to have this navi go from day to night mode automatically. what should I tell the audio shop in order to fix this problem?

• 1 month later...

I have an '05 Corvette that the installer did not hook up the illumination wire either...although I am not adept at electronics I think I could handle what I think may work to make my day/night start functioning.

I have auto on/off headlights which are triggered by the ambient light sensor on the dash; will the day/night function work if I connect the illumination wire from the nav into the ambient light sensor wiring? If so, which wire should I use?

hell no, do not connect it to the light sensor, the avic will have no idea what the signal means and the added electronice could effect the cars computer's reading of the sensor. the trigger from the avic just need to "see" 12v+ on the illum wire to trigger the night mode.

you will want to find a light some where on the dash that comes on with the headlights and tap into that wire (i usually look for simple lights such as ones in the ash tray or shifter area)

with a vette as new as an 05, they should have used a intergration harness like a GMOS-01 (non bose factory stereo) or a GMOS-04 (factory bose system)and these modules have a wire for all of the important functions like P-brake(yea right, no one is using that.lol), VSS, and ILLUMINATION. if your installer chose not to hook it up, then he is a moron and shouldnt be trusted to work on your car.

OP:

just take it back to the installer and tell him to get it right, that is what you paid him for. i wouldn't try to mess with it at all on such a complicated car, there are a lot of thing that can go wrong and the repair bill will not be cheap.

jason:

i'm pretty sure that the reason most do not hook it up is either that they have hooked it up wrong in the past and caused dammage or they are just lazy and with a lot of newer can vehicles, it can be a lot of extra work to find a compatible signal.

• 7 months later...

for clarification, that is for a C6 vette, any other car will probably be quite different.

also the propper harness for most (if not all) of the C6's vettes should have data modules which should decode the signal from the can bus and have a propper illum wire that can just be connected without having to chase one down in the car. (i will also add that sometimes, not all of the features work as designed with these data modules)