AVIC411.com

sub controls stopped working

Hey guys,

I have a sub hooked up to an amp using the dedicated sub preouts on the back of the Avic. Been working great for years on my old avic.

But today, on the newer avic, while trying to adjust the sub volume I noticed sub controls arent working. When I try to turn the sub off, the headunit shows its off but the sub keeps going to the music. I also cant adjust the volume of the sub, +6 to -24 all sound the same with nothing changing.

I checked the AV settings and the Rears are set to FULL (as they should be). Not sure what is going on here.

Anyone know if there is a hidden menu I'm missing or is there something wrong with my headunit?

I'm finding one thing after another I'm not too sure about. I think I should have stuck with my z3!

Hey guys,

I have a sub hooked up to an amp using the dedicated sub preouts on the back of the Avic. Been working great for years on my old avic.

But today, on the newer avic, while trying to adjust the sub volume I noticed sub controls arent working. When I try to turn the sub off, the headunit shows its off but the sub keeps going to the music. I also cant adjust the volume of the sub, +6 to -24 all sound the same with nothing changing.

I checked the AV settings and the Rears are set to FULL (as they should be). Not sure what is going on here.

Anyone know if there is a hidden menu I'm missing or is there something wrong with my headunit?

I'm finding one thing after another I'm not too sure about. I think I should have stuck with my z3!

I noticed the same thing on my z120 last weekend. After lots of playing around with it, I realized that if I turned off the "Staging" option, the sub controls started working again. I coudldn';t find any mention of this in the manual -- and the controls don't gray out when staging is turned on -- but the staging controls clearly take priority over the sub controls.

On the bright side, once I turned off the staging, I was able to achieve a much better balance for my system. Sounds 1000% better.

Ill check this out in the morning!

If this works, you have made me one happy person!

I do remember playing around with staging though...what is staging?

I think it is just the High Pass Filter (HPF) on the AV Settings screen that is disabled by Sound Staging. See pgs 175-176 in user manual.

Seems like this would only have an affect if you were using the rear channels to drive your sub amp (either line or speaker wires). AMP3d, you are sure you are using the Sub line-out? Also, do you have the blue/white power trigger connected to your sub amp? If you turn OFF the Sub in the AV System Setting/Sub Woofer menu. your sub should switch off ( or stand-by).

I can't seem to find the staging option again lol I lost it. Anyone know where I can find it?

Settings/AV Sound Settings/Staging.

Try setting Staging to OFF. Staging allows you to create a surround/multi-dimensional effect, some of which is through adjusting the timing and fade of the rear channels. For some reason, if you turn on staging, it disables the HPF (which has nothing to do with the sub). If you then go back up one screen and enable HPF, it disables Staging. (without warning).

Oh, I was wrong before about the sub amp switching off if you set Sub Woofer to OFF. The Blue/White wire is a trigger to turn on anything that you want ON when the HU is on. It is not toggled by the Sub Woofer ON/OFF selection. But when OFF, there should be no sound levels on the Sub RCA outputs.

Damn. Still can't find it there either :/

http://twitpic.com/4s7zh8

Sorry, I didn't realize you had a Z130. Apparently Staging went away and was replaced with Sonic Center Control. I don't have a Z130, but looking at the Z130 manual, it doesnt seem to do antything except adjust a left/right time delay.

I really didn't think this wa your problem anyway. But I see from your picture, you have HPF @ 100Hz. Try setting that to OFF. If your Sub is OFF and with HPF set so high, you would be loosing a lot of your low end sound.

As for your original issue (sub not being controlled or shutting down - right?), it still sounds like wiring issue. But first, to be certain, I'd do a full factory reset just to make sure it isn't some odd setting. Then, if you need help, you ought to fully document your audio system configuration, all speakers connected to the HU, and how any other amps/speakers are connected. It still sounds to me like your subs are actually being driven off your rear channels.

Yes, I've tried all combinations with the high pass filter as you mentioned with no success. I'm going to try a factory reset and will let you know.

Thanks so much for the assistance!

Ps- it DOES seem as if the sub is running off the rear channels, however in the setup I have rear set to FULL and not SUB W.

• 2 months later...

you have to change rear sp from full to sub... and you will have control of your sub but you wont have any sound from rear speakers....grrrr in the middle of trying to figuere this out myself.....and the only way to be able to find this option available is by hitting the off button on the left side in the row of source options... on the z130bt anyway

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I'm new here and this is my first post. I just returned from the shop that did my install of the Z130BT three days ago and I had these exact same symptoms. I've also read this same issue in another thread and it was resolved the same way mine was. The installer hooked the sub up to the rear monitor outputs which meant no sub control and it would keep playing regardless of setting it to off in the Z130BT controls. Also, it would play only from the CD or ipod depending on which was selected in the rear output, verses mirror, av1, and av2 which had no output at all and therefore no sub. It was really weird to be playing the Stones on the iPod and then switch to Fleetwood Mac on CD and still hear the Stones on the sub.

This really sounds like the same issue. To be clear, the sub outs are physically apart of the back of the Z130BT and marked SWL and SWR and have a yellow RCA video right next to them - just for confusion. They are not on a harness. If you look at the pictures on Amazon, you can see the both the harness that was mistakenly used on mine, and the sub outs on the back of the unit.

It's been a couple weeks since your post, but maybe this will help others too.