AVIC411.com

XM May 6th 2011 Logo Update...D/N/F/Zx series!

Here are the updated logo image packs for May 2011. If you wish to make a donation for this effort my paypal is vandal@racinginc.com. This is not a requirement as I will never charge money for these logo updates nor make conditions regarding their use.

Changes/Improvements/Issues:

- Image table update for all May 2011 XM lineup changes including new channels and channel name/number changes.

- Update of all images from the latest channel guide.

- Sports channels still alternate between "Sports XXX", "NBA XXX" etc. and "Sports Play-By-Play". The logo will only appear if the channel name uses the name with the number in it, i.e. "Sports 190" or "NBA 218", etc. There is no way to avoid this and at this time I still don't know which naming scheme is ideal to associate with the logo.

- There are no category logo updates in this release as all the major categories are covered. I have no source for category images as XM does not provide them.

Installing:

- You will need to know how to modify the media for your particular AVIC series. See the stickied posts in the hacks/mod forum related to your unit for details.

- Locate the folder containing the XMCAT, XMDAT, XMLPS, and XMDPS directory. On the Z series this the AV subdirectory of the SDAT volume. On the F series this was reported to be MyFlashDisk/DATA/XM. On the D/N series these folders are in the root directory of the 2 map DVDs.

- As always when doing such updates on the Z and F series be sure to make backups of your XMCAT, XMDAT, XMLPS, and XMDPS directories.

- Simply copy the files in the pack over any existing files for each directory (XMCAT, XMDAT, XMLPS, and XMDPS). Do not delete any files.

Attached here is Zx series. These have been fully tested on a Z3. This is NOT for the new Zxxx series.

UPDATE REMOVED. NEWER VERSION IS HERE:

http://avic411.com/index.php?/topic/32128-xm-july-16th-logo-updatednfzxzxxx-series/

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the files for the new Zxxx series units. These units use a new image size for the larger logo bitmap of 170x55. Closer examination shows that a unique specialized background is being used for both the large and small images. The logo PNGs are ready for the new size and once I finish pulling clean blank images of the special backgrounds the logo generator can be modified to compile this series in the necessary format and I can post the logo update and update logo generator. I hope to finish this sometime before the end of next week.

Here is first logo update release for the new Zxxx series. This didn't take as long as I expected. Since this is the first attempt at this unit please give feedback on if the background of the logos looks and meshes ok on the AVIC display. The background used for this unit has a 1 pixel border around it and it may be necessary to adjust the logos so they don't touch the border.

http://avic411.com/index.php?/topic/32128-xm-july-16th-logo-updatednfzxzxxx-series/

Attached is the updated XM Logo Generator program. This release contains the updated raw logos and default channel mapping for the May 2011 logo update and adds support for the new Zxxx series.

This program takes raw 32-bit transparent PNG logo images by channel number and size and automatically converts them into the special formats used by the various AVIC units. It handles all of the dirty work involving color conversion, handling of special transparent colors and backgrounds specific to each AVIC series, and generation of RGB 555 Bitmap files and/or PIM formatted files with the appropriate LPS/DPS numbered filename.

Using this program you can now edit or create you own logos using Photoshop or any other application without worrying about the technical details or hassles of formatting it for you AVIC unit. The only rules are you must mainting the appropriate image size, keep the bankground transparent (in most cases), and save the logo as a 32-bit PNG.

This program also generates the IMAGETBL.DAT file and allow modification of the channel and category mappings. You can adjust the mappings if you want to restore a logo to a station that has changed its name or find the station ID of a new channel.

All the 1000+ transparent 32-bit PNG source logos that were used to build the 5-2011 logo pack release are included and channel/category logo mapping will default to this release making the program ready to go on start.

This program will be updated with each logo pack release to provide the updated raw logo images and default channel/category mapping information.

Detailed instructions are included that documents everything you could ever want to know about XM logos on the AVIC series.

Note: This program does NOT handle the extraction of the logo images from the XM channel list PDF. That process is still a lengthy manual process using Inkscape to make giant PNG files of the logos in various sizes and then a program that take 20-30 run and requires many tweaks. At this point it is unlikely I will ever be able to make a program that will fully automate that process.

Requirements:

- Windows XP, Vista, 2003 Server, or 2008 Server

- .NET Framework versions 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2, and 3.5.

The program will not run if you do not have the sufficient .NET framework versions installed. The above listed Windows versions can be updated with the .NET framework by going to http://update.microsoft.com.

It is recommended that you install the AppleRGB.icc color profile before running the program for the first time as this profile will be set as the default if it is present. To install any of the color profiles simple browse to the "Color Profiles" subdirectory, right click on the profile file and select "Install Profile".

Features/Bug Fixes for this Version:

- Add support for new Zxxx series.

- Fix exception crash if entering a channel name that exceeds the maximum limit. A warning dialog will now appear instead.

- Various Browse buttons now function.

- Tab order has been fixed on the tabs.

Make an ISO of the DVD, edit it, burn it. Done.

I am doing that, but every time I make it back into an iso the file size is no longer correct. It shouldnt grow larger if Im just replacing existing files of the same size it should stay the same size as the original. I cant figure out what Im doing wrong....

I am doing that, but every time I make it back into an iso the file size is no longer correct. It shouldnt grow larger if Im just replacing existing files of the same size it should stay the same size as the original. I cant figure out what Im doing wrong....

How much larger? It will probably be a few MB's larger. Back when I had a D (until it was stolen) I used Ultra ISO.

Vandal, do you write code or technical documents for a living? It's really great work. I would bet Pioneer's documentation doesn't even come close to yours!

Software developer, but I do often have to write some kind documents as part of that. In this case I was trying to make the document as complete as possible for non-technical people.

Which file size(s) are you looking at or expecting? You are going to end up with a slightly larger ISO after doing the replace because there are more station logos than previously, plus some obsolete logo files are still going to be present. The individual PIM files in the logo are the same size as the old ones.

I did have a problem with some ISO editing tools in the past with the Pioneer DVD images. You need a tool like Ultra ISO that lets you edit the ISO image contents "in place", you cannot rebuild an new ISO from scratch files or you will lose the needed Pioneer image paramters in place of generic PC based image.