AVIC411.com

Splash Screen Sizing

Hello all. I have an f90bt, and no matter how hard I try, I cannot get any of my backgrounds to size properly. I have tried 500x240, 800x384, 1000x480 - but to no avail. What ends up happening is that when I am browsing the folder, the image appears to fill the screen. Then, it 'svaes' to the system. When I fire up the car again, the photo is centered int eh screen, and it probably about a quarter size of the viewable area. I found my way here as I have the system in my Subaru Outback - but I can repost anywhere! Thank you for your time.

I welcome any and all suggestions!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have spent some time with this today, i found if i unlink the aspect ratio of the image i can size length and width independant of each other.

To fill my F700 screen i need 780 x 480, which depending on image used works well or NOT.

I'm very new to this so i don't really understand the techniques of resizing these images correctly

Thought this might help

• 10 months later...

First of all, make sure your image is 72 dpi (dots per inch)  this is a setting in Photoshop under image size.

An LCD monitor of any type can only output 72 DPI, any "extra" pixels are discarded by the monitor and the 

resulting image is anyone's guess.  I had a similar problem with my F series AVIC system even after resizing,

so what I did was to put the image on a black background.  That way, even when it didn't fill the screen, it looked

good.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

First of all, make sure your image is 72 dpi (dots per inch)  this is a setting in Photoshop under image size.

An LCD monitor of any type can only output 72 DPI, any "extra" pixels are discarded by the monitor and the 

resulting image is anyone's guess.  I had a similar problem with my F series AVIC system even after resizing,

so what I did was to put the image on a black background.  That way, even when it didn't fill the screen, it looked

good.

I used 72 dpi & 800 x 480 pixel size on my AVIC F940BT this morning and it came out really nicely 

I haven't attempted to load a custom splash screen yet, but I am well acquainted with digital graphics...

72 dpi setting has nothing to do how an image is displayed on a screen.  It is either displayed at the screen's native resolution, pixel for pixel, or it is scaled, i.e. pixels are interpolated to whatever number of pixels it appears on the screen. How the latter is accomplished is dependent on the rendering engine (can be either hardware or software, or both).

Another issue is the screen's pixel density is not the same both vertically and horizontally.  For example, I have loaded a custom splash screen on a Kenwood DNN990HD... and while it has an 800×480 display, the vertical and horizontal pixel densities are different.  When an 800×480 image is loaded, it gets stretched horizontally...

I have a 8000NEX which has an effective display area of 156.6mm × 81.6mm (exactly the same as the Kenwood DNN990HD).  Divide those dimensions by 800 and 480 respectively, then divide the former result by the latter and you get 1.15 and change.  So to get the display to show an image that is not stretched horizontally, the image has to be created at 921×480 pixels, then shrunk horizontally to 800×480 pixels.